My hip has recently started hurting & i don't know why.

My mum had arthritis in both her hips. She had her right hip replaced about 2 years ago. She found out she had arthritis when she was 30, the same time she found out she was expecting me. i also think my nannan has had problems with her hips. & when my cousin was born, she had problems with hers.

does this mean i have something wrong with it? or have i just strained it or something?

Pelvis may not be aligned, i often had a pain in my hip area aswell due to standing on one particular leg at work. I now visit a chiropractor once a month who keeps me in check.
I hope it's not heriditiary.... take care

Well if you are having hip problems, then the best thing for you is to find some exercises for this part of the body. I don't think that you have arthritis, it was more probably an injury. Do you practice any sport? Do you have job where you lift have objects?
If this continues to happen, the go to check your self with a doctor. Keep us posted on your condition.