Hi. I am thinking about having a rhinoplasty. I know there are two types of rhinoplasty, open and closed. I would like to hear more about it. What is the difference between an open or closed rhinoplasty? Which one is right?

Hi. The difference between an open or closed rhinoplasty is the opening of the nose by external (visible) incision. Closed rhinoplasty is done “blindly”. I had closed rhinoplasty and I think both techniques are ok. Some say open rhinoplasty is better. However, the open surgery takes longer. Which one of these techniques is right, it depends on lot of things, such as experience and skill of your surgeon, and your nose. Most people choose closed rhinoplasty. I did. However, open rhinoplasty will leave you with practically no scar. The incision can be very invisible.

Hello there leaming,

If you are thinking about rhinoplasty you probably have a good reason for that but I must share with you my experience. My boyfriend, who is a boxer by the way, had open rhinoplasty few months ago. The reason for this was broken nose so basically he didn’t have much choice. We talked with the surgeon and he told us what we can expect and we were completely satisfied with the whole thing.

But after the procedure we were so disappointed. First of all the recovery took longer than we were told and the bruises on the nose were terrifying! And worst thing is that the nose is not what we were told it is going to be. Since we have no other choice we are getting used to it but if you don’t have to do the rhinoplasty then don’t.