Found this site by google for ear pain. Funny thing is - I quit drinking almost 20 years ago. A couple of years before I quit, the first couple swallows of beer or wine would cause my arms, chest and neck to ache.
No one could ever diagnose. I really think that it must be some type of allergic reaction. My father was a recovering alcoholic. Strange feeling.
Good luck.

Hello - I figured I couldn't be the only one in the world with this problem. We went to a Mexican restaraunt and I ordered a Margarita. Lime flavored, crushed ice. All the way home, and for maybe another half hour to hour, it felt like the lymph nodes under the corners of my jaw were going to explode. (At least I think there are lymph nodes there?).

No more Margaritas for me. Someone speculated maybe I was allergic to Tequilla.

For those with this pain in arms, chest and neck, see the symptoms of Hodgkin's disease. "Finally, some adults report an aching of the affected lymph nodes if they drink alcohol, although this phenomenon appears not to be recognized by many authorities." Searching on Google returns a lot of consensus on this. "alcohol-induced chest pain". So basically modern medicine is not modern enough to know much about this.

I wonder if this has any commonality to my GERD and arthritis?

Mark

I have the same problem- though never with wine, only beer, and only when I'm drinking it with a meal. It flares up right behind my jaw bone under/in front of my ears. The pain usually lasts about a half hour and the subsides rather quickly. It's not a constant, either- it seems worse with bottled beer than a glass from a tap. I have no idea what causes it.

I got food poisoning Sun. morning and was only able to eat a little bit this Mon. afternoon about 6p.m. I only ate a little beans, cornbread, waldorph salad and brocolli. Afterwards my jaws started cramping, lasted about an hour. Haven't found much on the internet about what causes this.

I have had the same problem most of my life. But it only happens every once and a while. Usually, if I drink slow and only one or two its worse than drinking quickly (I don't do this very often, usually drink one or two beers a month, but New years, is a different story) I thought I would weigh in and add my name to the list of people afflicted with this debilitating illness (if you like to drink beer, its debilitating) Hope someone can figure this out, sure would like to know.

I am amazed there is no info on this. I have noticed it seems to only happen when I drink wine, and as someone else said, not every time. I thought it might be an allergy to sulfites, but that doesn't seem quite right either....
If anyone finds anything, please post a link. This is ridiculous....

If I haven't eaten and I drink either red wine or beer, then I get a severe cramp pain in my jaw in front of my ears. Some dogs get an eosinophilic myositis, I'm wondering if it's related.

Yeah I did a search for "jaw pain beer" and found this post. I'm experiencing this pain right now, it's horrible. My pain is actually below my ears, around where my jawbone would connect to my skull if I had to picture it on a skeleton. It's really uncomfortable.

Alcohol induced pain can be caused by Hodgkin's disease. Please research this and see your Doctor.

The pain.... I am currently wincing in pain. i was eating a chinese take away and have had one glass of wine. it feels as though someone is sticking needles in my jaw... why is there no info on this.... I know i should look on the net. last time i had a problem i went on the net and convinced myself i had colon cancer... luckily it was just some red food colouring on a spiderman birthday cake that made my poo green....

Mine just stopped but it's amazing that this seems to be one of the only places where it is discussed. I Googled a bit and the results are rubbish - are we the only ones suffering from this? :-(

Incredible! The last two times that I have had 2 beers I have had jaw pain below my ear in the back and underneath my jaw. Feel as if my glands are aching and maybe swollen. This evening had 2 beers with a couple of tacos. Looked on the net to see if anyone else ever experienced this. To my surprise , yes!

Hmm. Happens w/ beer and wine, though not all of the time. It's happened most of my life, but now it seems to be getting worse. I know I have some minor TMJ issues, according to my orthodonist...don't worry, no underage drinking here, I'm 30 w/ braces. But I mentioned it to my doctor the last time I had beer..it was really intense, and he joked that maybe it was just bad beer. So what's the deal? The hodgin's disease suggestion scares me, so I'll look it up. My husband thinks it is related to the estatian tubes. One hint: water helps a lot.

I thought I was going crazy because no one believed me that occasionally i get this annoying pain in my jaw after good ribs and a beer. It is infront of my ears and above my jaw bone. Someone posted earlier that water helped....IT DOES! Rinse your mouth thorouhgly and it should go away..and enjoy your next beer.

I still don't know what causes it.

Considering most posters here have been living with this pain for years, I kinda doubt it's lymphoma, or cancer.

I, also, get this pain. It seems to happen most often with good, craft beer (more tannins?) than other alcohol. Almost never with vodka or mixed drinks. Never with absinthe - that I can recall... Wine, occasionally...

It happens for about 30 minutes, off and on, then goes away. And like another poster said - water helps A LOT. Sometimes after I get a glass of water it'll instantly go away - still feel sore like I'm clenching my jaw. But no more real pain.

I'm curious if anyone find out about this, but for now I'm writing it off as a sensitivity to tannins... Don't panic - you don't have cancer.