After fairly heavy night of drinking mixed drinks (draught and bottled beer, vodka cokes, and a little whisky) have had pain since waking up 6 hours after sleep in jaw all day, last drink was over 24 hrs ago.

Second time its happened - didnt even cotton onto it being drink related the first time as ive had many many similar nights with just the usual gripes the next day! but since its the 2nd time and both after drinking im guessing theres a relation.

Only sore on my left side right next to ear, pretty sure it was same last time

23, male

Can we be specific about our experiences?

When "reaction" is occuring, pain follows immediately after sip or swallow.

Pain is "cramp like" in bite muscles and behind ear. Massaging muscles helps. Pain subsides on its own after 4-5 minutes.

There does not seem to be consistency in onset. Sometimes, I can drink for the evening with no issues. (Same alcohol.) Others, I will be drinking for an hour or so when it starts. Reaction never stops once it starts, though. The dehydration theory might me supported by this, as I am a poor hydrator.

I had to get on the net. Back in the early 80's, I used to get this affliction all the time, usually when I was sipping (cheap) beer. I have not had this affliction in years and then tonite, there it was. The culprit, I now believe, was the cheap wine (I usually don't order house wine). Anyways, its nice to know I am not imagining things. I will just stay away from cheap beer and wine:)

same here! evenings I enjoy a nice mixed drink of vodka and cranberry juice, and I get this intense stabbing pain on either side of my jaw right at the hinges in front of my ears! It travels a little throughout the jaw but never very far. It subsides in a few minutes, and after my next sip there it is again!

I grind my teeth at night, which I think makes it related, IMHO.

There are others out there like me! I chalk it up to an alcohol intolerance. I get this pain with most wine but not mixed drinks. I also get the pain sometimes with fast food. I think it might be a reaction to preservatives in the foods...

I get shooting sharp pain bilaterally in the preauricular/parotid gland area after drinking alcohol. What is this problem?

I've had this pain in jaw joint below ears for over 40 years--I'm 60, male. I believe it has only happened with beer, often within the first few swallows, and maybe only once in a couple dozen times I'm drinking. I was actually researching nightshade intolerance and the itchy/burning tongue I get with that, and thought about this other, much sharper pain (in a different location) and was curious what I'd find about it--and found this thread. It is interesting to discover others have it. There is a real inconsistency in what causes it: some (like me) is beer, others sweet drinks like margs. I drink margaritas every month or so and never have the problem. I don't drink much wine, so no reaction. And I've never experienced it with brandy or scotch.

So I'm not alone....

I've read through here and no one seems to know what causes it. I get it when I drink beer only. I have a Coors and the needles start for about a half hour or so. I didn't know if there was some connection to the alcohol content or not, or perhaps the temperature...but it's only beer I get it from.

It's prolly just an allergic reaction but my doctor is gonna be hearing about it.

We need to name this condition! I keep calling it "My jaw friggin hurts" but that's the unofficial name I think

You know, I've had this off and on for years - EXACTLY as others describe it - an almost stabbing pain behind and below my ears and under my jaw, and rinsing with water DOES help. I only notice it with SOME red wines - not all by any standard. And I've never had it happen with beer that I can remember. It doesn't happen with any other kind of alcohol. Only Wine. I started googling and saw the whole thing on hodgkins, but I don't have any other symptoms and I've had blood workups for other reasons more recently and they were fine. The Hodgkins folks had pain lasting for hours, and it seems related to any alcohol. And as I said, I have experienced this off and on for YEARS.

So it's good to find other folk who have this too. I was thinking it might be sulfites, but it would be good to know what exactly it is.

I have the same pain and no explanation. My doctor told me to stop drinking alcohol.

I have found, however, that when in pain if I start drinking water, the pain will subside.

Good luck to all.

I'm not alone! I'm a 33yr old male and have been having the same described pain for years. For me, it's red wine that causes it. I find that if I stick to Reisling I'm fine for a glass. Two glasses is shaky territory, three is well into the pain zone.

In response to someone elses post, I also grind my teeth quite a bit in my sleep and have started to experience this same mysetery pain after drinking one beer and eating food together. Seems like it just came on after a few particularly bad nights of grinding. VERY EERIE

I'm really glad I found this page. I'm from Germany and recently, I decided to google the symptoms. German pages though all suggested Hodgkin's Disease; but I just had a blood check for other reasons and it was fine, and I don' have any other symptoms for Hodgkin's.

What made me doubt it's Hodgkin's anyways, was that I only had that pain when I drank wine or beer. I love Amaretto or Absinth, and it never happens with those. I, like some of you, have these symptoms for years now, so it just can't be Hodgkin's.

In my case, it only happens with wine - the older (and unfortunately: better) the wine, the higher the chance for getting the pain - and beer; it lasts about 10 - 20 minutes and feels just like some of you described it: As if a ballon was blown inside my jaws, right under the ears, combined with needles.

I never thought of dehydration which is quite funny, because my doctor told me to drink more water. Maybe there is a connection. I also have had allergies all of my life.

Maybe we may never know, what exactly that is, but it really helps to read posts that suggest something different than Hodgkin's Disease.

Best regards!

I also have this issue after having a beer. I don't seem to notice it if I have a beer by itself, but it does flair up when I drink with a meal.

Also, I have not had my wisdom teeth removed, and I wonder if that is related somehow? Does anyone have their teeth removed and still have this problem?

I have my wisdom teeth removed and still have this problem, so it's not related.