I have just about given up on a glass of wine or a cooler anymore. The pain is on both sides of my jaw and stays for several minutes. I got to the point of putting in 7- up, cranberry juice or grenedine in my drink, and spoiling a lovey glass of wine in order to drink it without pain. My kids made fun of me and my "Shirley Temples"

i thought i was crazy but i get the same pain for the first couple misn after i have a drink of beer

i am glad that i am not the only one. this pain is very unpredictable, it has happened about 20 times total, starting about 10 years ago. i am 48 now; i am healthy, in very good shape, exercise regularly, eat mostly healthy meals, an occasional beer or wine.
today i had meat loaf, sweet potatoes, broccoli and a glass of wine... and before i could finish the glass the pain showed up.
please report what you were eating/drinking before the pain came about, so that perhaps we can shed some light into this mysterious pain.
the common trigger is obviously wine or beer, and food in most cases.

great site! i am glad i found it

i am not sure if this is related to this pain. about 10 years ago when my flight was descending for landing i had the sharpest pain that i've experienced in my whole life, not exactly in the same location, but it was ear only. of course the cause was the rapidly changing pressure inside the airplane.

i felt as if my ears were about to explode. i am not sure if this is related to the pain between the ear and the jaw, but since the pain is located very close i decided to report it just in case someone else had a similar experience.

I have had this pain often in the past as well. I experience it occasionally when drinking a little and almost always when taking my first bite of food after not eating for awhile. The pain from alcohol is longer-lasting though, food is short.

It seems to originate from the parotid salivary gland. I notice my mouth is usually devoid of saliva when this pain occurs. I think the drying effect of alcohol might cause the saliva passage from the gland to the duct to become dry and "squeezed shut" for lack of a better term, this would also be the case when eating for the first time after the duct had been idle and not passing saliva. We could be feeling pressure in our parotid saliva glands as it tries to push saliva out a closed or dry duct (which would explain how hydration of the duct with water would relieve the pain). Someone also mentioned the pain being similar to that experienced when blowing up baloons...blow hard enough and air might be forced into the duct causing pressure on the gland and thus our mystery pain.

Other than that, my best guess would be the old "nerves that wire together fire together" theory. An example of this is people including myself who sneeze when looking at bright lights. (search "photic sneeze reflex"). Basically the nerve that causes the pupil to dilate and the one that cause the sneeze reflex are so close together that one of the pathways firing affects the other as well. And conversely, when I sneeze, it affects my vision briefly after. Another example is your eyes watering when you pull out a nose hair...I don't think crying will cause your nose hairs to fall out though...haha!....yeah, I'm a nerd. So my second guess would be nerves controlling a burst of saliva from the parotid glands to remedy a dry mouth lying too close to a nerve that controls a small jaw muscle that cramps up or something similar.

I'm no doctor but I'm a pretty smart guy and those are my best guesses...what do you think?

I got the same pain, right after alcohol, hope it's not damaging my gums.

Funny Sneaky Pete that you should mention saliva. I am 43 now but for about the past 7 years I've noticed that I have to bring drinking water to bed as I wake up 2-5 times per night with dry cracked (feeling) throat. It is as if my saliva glands that used to automatically lubricate my throat at night just stopped working. I asked a doc and he wasn't too helpful, just shrugged his shoulders. I think most of these clowns are just insurance company puppets, but that's a different subject. Could it be something to do with post nasal drip? I don't know but I am afraid to touch alcohol. It's not just beer or wine it's mixed hard stuff too.

o.O o.O o.O I am part of this crazy club too!!!!
Am I the only Female though?
I have just had a glass of wine & am feeling the zinggy cramplike twinge.
I too get it when i havnt eaten anything for a few hours but it is alot mor intense & only lasts for seconds, with wine it is a milder annoyance & lasts longer.
I have had it with food for as long as i can remember, with wine though only since the birth of my daughter (now 2)
I too googled & was so excited to find you guys!!!!!!! :-P

I am so happy to find others with the same problem! It happens to me occasionally after one glass of wine or lager. Would like to understand why!

I get it too - I am female, 38 and I don't get the pain from all alcohol - usually white wine and occasionally red wine. It sucks and is very painful. Where's the doctors?

I have suffered with chronic facial/jaw pain for about 12 Years!! It seemed to happen after dental treatment when I had a filling in 1996. However over the last 12 Years I have consistently drunk alcohol, often as a means of escaping, but find that I am in extreme pain when I drink alcohol especially white wine. Around 2 Months ago I stopped drinking alcohol in any shape or form and found that shortly after I stopped the pain in my face was reduced by about 95%! However some pain returned recently in this last week and I had a beer. I have been in excruciating pain since then and have been unable to chew, open my mouth to eat, touch that side of my face or anything. So I am going to stop drinking again because when I do put alcohol into my mouth in any form it seems to cause more pain and it also seems to cause muscle cramping particularly at night. I also grind my teeth and clench my jaw at night after drinking and this just seems to lead to more tension and more pain.
I hope this helps someone else
Thank You.

**edited by moderator**

I have this pain every now and then, had it today during lunch when I had a margarita with my food instead of my usual water. I mostly get it after drinking margaritas but sometimes with beer. I'm male and 40 and have been dealing with this for several years. I'm so glad that I don't get it every time I drink like some of you...cause I sure do enjoy my beer.

im only 20 but i get this pain once in a while, usually when im on my first or second one......im one my first (and my last) now and it hurst so bad i cant even finish it. ive never had it with any other kind of drink except beer. about a year ago i remember me and my friend were just startin our first beers and it happened to both of us it was so wierd. almost at the same time we both started rubbing our jaws. i dont think its dehydration, i drink water all day long. everyday. its interesting id like to know what it is

I also get this pain from alcohol. I'm studying to be a vet so I know my anatomy. The first thing I thought of when I had this pain was that it was coming from my parotid salivary glands, which in animals are in the same spot as people. I've found that this pain can worsen when I'm about to eat something tart (eg lemon) as my mouth starts to water, which supports my theory of it being a parotid gland problem. The dehydration theory is an unlikely one as there are many ways to become dehydrated (eg exercise, taking diuretics) and I've never experienced this pain apart from when I drink alcohol.

I get this as well and have been getting it for about 12 years. I used to do a fair amount of drugs when i was 18 (e - speed - coke) and used to get it the next day whenever I ate food - I quit drugs about 7 or 8 years ago and have continued to get it with alcohol. I dont tend to get it with beer but spirits and red wine i do ( i currently have it from baileys.

good to see other people suffering the same horrible problemvwcqgl