I've read that coming off the pill and switching to hormone free Paragard CAN cause these side effects because now a person's natural hormones are able to run free (as opposed to being regulated by the pill). So yes, Paragard is hormone free, but women are not. If a woman's hormones are affected by the birth control pill, Mirena etc...then it makes perfect sense to see "side effects" when switching to Paraguard because those additional hormones from birth control cease to exist in the body. Adding hormones to a woman's body can have side effects and taking added hormones from a woman's body can have side effects.

Things I figured out how to fix that happened with the insertion of my copper IUDAcne : take zinc supplements.  I also found apple cider vinegar is a great antioxidant.  I wash my face with Dr. Bonner's organic peppermint soap. I'm not sure if it is a combination or just one element,but my skin is clearing up slowly. I plan to take erythromiacin as well if it doesn't clear up completely.  I've never had acne before so this was a big shock for me to wake up to.weight gain:  Zinc as well.  At the moment I am taking 90mg in the morning and 90mg at night.  Within a month of getting the IUD inserted I gained 15lbs.  I absolutely freaked.  After a week of taking zinc I was down weight, and am now about 5lbs away from where I want to be.  This was the issue that bothered me the most, as I have worked hard on my body and did not appreciate that going to the dumpster without me doing something at least enjoyable to it;)Month long period: take Vitamin E supplements.  I take 2 daily.  I started about 3 days before my last period and it was finished within a week.  I had a couple days of random spotting, so I would take a couple more that day and it stopped.  My next period is due next week and I have no fear that it will last longer than a week.Now that I have figured out how to fix these issues, I am more than pleased with my IUD.  Especially since this time a month ago I was about ready to rip this thing out of me.  It took me a while of searching to find out this information, so I figured I would comment on a few forums to hopefully make it easier for others to over-come them.  I will try and post again in a few months with any updates if things have changed.

There are no hormones in this birth control, so weight gain, acne, bloating, etc is not from the IUD itself! You should not post these things to scare people when you know nothing of what you are saying.

I had my Paragaurd out today after 10 years. Can't really say I had any of the side effects you guys are talking about. In the beginning sure, but you need to give your body a few months to adjust to it. I've been 115 the entire time it was in and never had skin issues. I will have to agree to heavier periods but that was the only downside. Well, that and having it out. It had grown attached to the uterus and they couldn't get it the first time. I begged to try one more time before doing surgery. Today they were able to get it with a cervical block. Pretty damn painful, but well worth it for 10 years of hormone free birth control. 

I just had my Paragaurd taken out a couple days ago. I decided to get this iud because my mom is on it and it was hormone free and has worked for her. I have had it for a year and a half,  and at the beginning things were not too bad, i just had to get my period under control, when that happened everything seemed fine. But over the  last summer i noticed that my face broke out really bad all over, which i have never had a problem with acne besides the occasional pimple here and there. I had tiny bumps all over my face and some random pimples especially along my jaw line and my neck. I also noticed my chest and back breaking out a little too. At first i didnt think that it had to do with the iud, so i went to a dermatologist to get topical creams, which would help a little but my skin was not normal how it was before the iud. Now over the winter time my face has been constantly broken out and produces so much more oil which ruins the way i would feel and not even make up could make it look better. I even noticed sometimes feeling a little depressed and being overly emotional, crying at random things and my sex drive going down, which never happened before. As i read more online about the symptoms other people were having with acne and such i decided it was time to remove this because it just wasn't right for me and i wanted my life and face back. All i hope is that my face can go back to how it used to be. Right after removing the iud, the next day the bumps on my face went down and so did the redness. It's still not perfect but much better for being only 4 days. I did gain weight a little which was fine because i wanted too but the only part that sucked is that through out the day when i would eat my stomach would get a little bigger and had water weight constantly making me look like i was 3 months pregnant. I couldn't wear my normal tshirts without trying to cover it up. I was even asked one time if i was pregnant, and it was just uncomfortable. I guess this wasn't the right option for me so i am looking for other options.

Have had the copper Iud for 5 years. For the first time have gained 10 pounds, this is the weight I was when pregnant. As a nutrition professional, I eat well and work, so can't explain the weight gain. Weight is concentrated in mid section, very bloated and looking 3 months pregnant. Changing mood, heavy bleeding, anaemic, fatigue, shortness of breath, yet I only weigh 135 and I'm 40. occassional abdomonal pains. Most bothersome symptom is the bloating and weight gain. Feel like my stomach is swueezing my lungs and can't get enough air. I can't wear dresses due to the protruding stomach, and have to wear oversize clothes. Embarrased about teaching nutrition, yet I look like I have abdominal obesity myself. For the first time in my life my BMI indicates I'm ovrrweight.

Hi - I am pretty fired up about how we woman think that this is OK! This is BS! We need more options. Perhaps options for men beyond condoms. I know the research out there has started, and there is a market so get it going! 

Anyway... I have had horrible experiences with birth control.. Paraguard has actually been the best of the worst for. Insertion was painful, but if you breath through it and stay conscious and empowered- not traumatizing. Cramping has been devestating for me, and the blood loss insane, similar to other women. I just bled and bled. Clots of blood. I got the IUD out monday, and my man friend said my face looked less bloated. I feel a little better, but hope to lose the weight I gained. Doctors have told me NO you are not gaining weight, and unable to get it off because of the IUD. Fine. Told me NO your painful unterine cyst is not related to the IUD, its just a coincidence it happened 3 months after you got the IUD in. and NO "vaginal inflammation" could not be related to the IUD. The vaginal inflammation at least is gone now after just a week and day. Yes! I am excited to get back to normal - hope i  do... best of luck out there in the world of contraception 

Its very interesting that all us ladies are pretty much having the same symptoms from the copper coil and I have decided to have it taken out to see if my symptoms disappear.

Insertion was not that bad, its bearable and to be honest I was able to do all the things I wanted straight after, even though they advise not to exercise or have sex! It took me a good 3 months to get used to it, so I did soffer from bloating, slight pain during sex and randon bleads/discharge and thrush (even though tests proved I was ok, the burning sensation was mad but it went away alone).

I have had it close to a year now and I am not happy. My partner says he can feel the strings sometimes, eventhough they are short enough and sex in some positions can be uncomfortable, especially when its deep (never an issue before). I live with a personal trainer so basically I eat clean and exercise every day. He mentioned that since we got together he noticed my weight gain (nothing too drastic) maybe 1 stone. Since that day I have worked very hard to burn that fat and turn it into muscle (which worked). I do believe that if I haven't have had the coil, I would have seen faster results, it just baffles me and I can't figure out why that is if its hormone free.

Regarding acne, my god has it been a battle. The first couple of months were ok and now its really bad. It was all over my face and new one would appear frequently, especially around the jawline and chin. They are quite painful and seem deep routed red and itchy. I seem to be doing everything right. I drink 6L of water daily, eat a healthy balanced diet (no dairy, no processed and sugary foods), take supplements e.t.c, exercise daily, use good skin care products (Murad Acne control kit) and use mineral make-up (Jane Iredale, which is amazing).

I know 2 friends who also reported weight gain and acne and they have had the coil removed and are back on the pill. I understand that everyone is different and what works for some doesn't for others. Acne is the biggest problem and I think you can get a type of pill which can improve acne but just don't know which (see what doc recommends on Tuesday).

It has been a very convenient method (apart from the side effects which are coil related from my opinion) I already take daily supplements, so including another one in my box should be ok. If it doesn't work, then I guess I can start again.

Had my copper Iud removed today after 3 1/2 years and it was very painful lord it was worse than labor pains but thank god she got it out, right now slight cramping  and bleeding but it had to go I hate the iud yea you dont have to worry about kids but the cramping and heavy 10-14 day cycles oh and lets not forget weight gain big belly fibroid, cyst, and having to run to the restroom. My strings were not visible they had went futher up in the uterus and were hell to get out. cost 150 not adding the 40 i wasted on the first doctor who couldnt get it out  or the 190 for the pelvic ultra sound to make sure it was still in place only to find that my left ovary has a cyst and I have fibroid im 27 and never had any of that before. 

Daci: My wife had the same problem. The device broke apart inside her. Any class action law suits in the works?

I did some research and decided to have my Paragard IUD removed after battling BV and yeast infections for the first time in my life. Paragard, because of the strings that hang out from the cervix make it easier for bacteria to make its way into the uterus causing infection. Now in regard to the copper; it is also possible that copper iuds create a buildup of copper inside your body and therefore reducing your zinc levels, which could very well cause the acne problems that many women complain about with this iud. Many women, like myself, turn to Paragard because we cannot handle the hormones from other birth control methods. However, like an oral contraceptive, copper iuds prompt the release of prostaglandins and leukocytes by the endometrium. Prostaglandins are hormone-like and are responsible for inflammatory responses in our bodies. So I feel it is possible that copper iuds create an inflammatory response which create a hostile environment for sperm but maybe also a hostile environment for clear skin. I recommend others to research this because mine is still ongoing but I'm always looking for new information on how are bodies react to this birth control method.

Yes, the copper IUD definitely effects hormones. Your body thinks it has a foreign object in it, and it actually can make a person estrogen dominant and drain progesterone. Doctors don't tell you this though, probably because they didn't know when they were in school. You can even look it up, I found a study where they proved the hormone receptors in rats were altered significantly. I wish I had been properly informed, but after suffering acne, weight gain, and extreme moodiness I'm going to go get mine out ASAP.

The copper IUD causes hormonal changes! As much as doctors try and hide it, or ignore it, studies have shown it does. I saw one online NCBI, I believe. The estrogen and progesterone receptors were completely up and down regulated, respectively, I believe, and this would make perfect sense for the symptoms people are having

Well I have been researching and researching and researching every thing possible to get rid of this bloat from my copper iud and to no avail!

I'm 18 and had it inserted as EC in March this year.

It's enough for me to want it out. I don't want to go on BC pills either though. Will Mirena be a better option does anyone think? Such a waste going through all that awful pain from insertion and the whole body adjusting thing for it to just be taken out! 

My symptoms:

VERY VERY bloated and it's been nearly 6 months. This should be gone now!

Spots around my mouth (but I did suffer from this before the IUD too, it's worsened however)

7lbs weight gain which is very unusual for me, whose tummy has always been flat, and I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted and not gain weight.

WHat should I do? Switch to Mirena and try this low hormone approach?

I loved the idea of this because I could not take a chance with pregnancy as selfish as it sounds, I could NOT deal with that at this time in life.

Any suggestions would be helpful - I don't want to go on BC pills ever! I never have been and I never will!

ps I take zinc daily and it is not helping.........

Is anyone experiencing problems with BV?? I've had ParaGuard for about 2 years now and have been experiencing discharge and odor every month for the past 8 months. Dr diagnosed me with BV and said could be my bodies reaction to my husbands sperm but before  the IUD only had the issue once.  No multiple sexual partners as it is said to be a cause, so my only other thought is my IUD.. My Dr said I can douche with half water and peroxide but the problem seems to come back right when I think its going away.. Is anyone having this same issue or is it just my body going crazy on me??  Next step is having it removed and going back to the pill.. Please help:'(