My experience with copper IUD was horrible and I would not recommend anyone doing it. Insertion was extremely painful, but I knew this was going to happen so I went over it. The nightmare started a week later when I was almost meant to have my period. Cramps were horrible, I had fever, chills, was feeling absolutely dead. Went to the hospital and they found I had UTI. Was given antibiotics for 5 days but the pain did not go away. I have never had so many problems before! I decided to remove it only 2 weeks after the insertion! it's been over a month now and I have UTI again and a bacterial infection in my vagina! again, never had this before! and guess what? antibiotics again for 7 days! my pelvic area still feel bad, I feel pain anywhere in my abdomen and I have gas! now the doctor keeps saying it wasn't the IUD but to be honest, all of this happen right after the insertion, what else could it be? I hope this nightmare will be over soon! Paraguard might be good for some people... but I will NEVER try it again.

Read up on copper toxicity. All those symptoms are related to the liver and it's inability to flush out the copper. Skin problems, emotional problems/ anxiety, hair loss, lack of sex drive. I had mine taken out after finding a swollen lymph node (and suffering through all the aforementioned symptoms). My doctor said that my affected lymph node was the one associated with the liver. I stumbled upon copper toxicity and had mine removed the next day. My symptoms immediately improved.

Thank you so much for your post! I was about to make an appointment to have my IUD removed and came across your post. I will try the Zinc and the Vitamin E. I hope it works but would like to say thank you so much for taking the time to inform & help advise others!

Hey :) I know it's been a really long time since you've posted this, but I was just wondering how your skin was doing after you've removed the IUD?
Are you sure it was from the IUD or maybe you just quit the pill before you got the IUD and that was what was making your skin act all crazy?
I'm sorry for all the questions, but it seems like I'm going through the exact same thing - got the IUD 2 years ago, for 5 months everything was perfect except for the heavy bleeding, but all of a sudden my skin freaked out and no matter what I've tried, my skin won't get better..

Hi I have had paragard for 9 and a half years with no side effects from it. I didn't have no problem with weight gain, acne, or any other side effects. When i was a teenager was on the pill which caused extreme abdomen pain, that never went away until i got off it. Then at the age of 19 I had my first child and got one depo shot which made me heavily bleed for six months straight. So at the age of 21 I decided after my second child to try paragard and not had not one issue with it.

I had my IUD placed 3 weeks ago and I did feel bloated and still do now, I totally changed my diet to no sodas, cut back on portions and bad food. When I went to the doctor this week I had not lost any weight It stayed the same even though I changed my diet. After reading all this comments I'm beginning to drink it's the IUD that is prohibiting the weight loss.

Well I've had paraguard for a little over 3 weeks. Was a simple insertion. The pain was nothing felt like two cramps and boom done. Had no bleeding right away didn't start until that night. Had super light spotting for 3 days and cramping last for 2 naproxen made them non exsistant. So far the only issue I have had is I urinate alot. I do this alot on my period anyway so I just pee alot more now. Other than that everything has been great. No weight gain infact I've lost weight.y periods are the same as before 3 days and done. I don't mind the copper in me really because we all have copper in our blood anyway. It's a natural element like iron in our body. Unlike the pill and mirena with hormones I have had no issue. The pill I bled out on I lost half of my blood and was hospitalized and given a blood transfusion all from hormones. Honestly I would recommend this to women who have had children. I have two little ones and a birth control that can last for over 10 years is awesome. Copper IUDs are very popular in low income countries. They are cheap and they work. Not everyone has a great experience and honestly I read a whole bunch of forums like this and they all said no don't do it. I almost backed out infact I missed my first appointment stressed. But I'm glad I went in and got it. My fiance and I are both happy. All I can say is every woman is different and every medication and contraceptive will affect each woman differently. You have to give it a try sometimes and it's not like you can't get it taken out.

I would not recommend the Copper IUD to anyone. I've had it for almost one year and I finally had it removed yesterday. Copper toxicity is real people and although it affects people differently it can really mess with your mental and physical state of being. Please look up copper toxicity and arm yourself with more information than just what your doctor CHOOSES to tell you. It's your body and you're the only one who should decide what goes into it so stay knowledgeable.

I agree on you. I just put in paraguard 2 months ago and my body full of rashes or should i say psoriasis. My period come and i dont know how to explain the pain that in going through. It feels like a nightmare on me everytime the cramps come. Now planning to remove it as its spoling my skin and totally regret choosing this..

How long did it take for your symptoms to go away after removal of the paragard?

Every woman’s body is different. Why did you feel the need to sonnet at all. Bye

Guys, I nearly cried when I saw this thread. I thought something was wrong with me. This thread is literally a godsend. I had Paragard for almost a year now and since then, slowly but surely, experienced EVERY SINGLE side effect described in here. I NEVER, in 30 years of my life, had problems with acne - after 5mths with an expert dermatologist I still struggle with it. Little to no improvement.
I've been through so much c**p in life and so many significant life changes, but I always remained positive and always kept on going. I NEVER had such a horrendous mood swings, fatigue and suicidal depressive thoughts. In the past 6mths I nearly dropped out of Grad school due to those mental health concerns. Not to mention my relationship suffered tremendously. 14d periods with bending-over cramping, constant bloating, Reappearing BV (never had it before Paragard), HIIT and clean eating that cannot help with getting rid of unwanted stubborn fat etc. etc. etc.
Thank you so so SO much everyone for sharing your stories. I realize how Paragard can be an amazing experience for many women and be a perfect birth-control. Apparently it wasn't the case for me and I'm not alone in this crazy Paragard-induced roller-coaster. I'm seeing my doc tomorrow to talk about taking it out.

I think they are simply sharing their experience. I have also experienced more bloating than normal and small bumps on my forehead soon after insertion of the IUD. I changed nothing else in my routine so it was the IUD. I’m hoping zinc will also help me. It shouldn’t scare people. If they get it and the side effects aren’t worth it, they remove it’s simple as that.

Copper is natural spermicide. Men who suffer from low sperm count often occurs because he naturally has high copper in him. The presence of the copper simply makes it nearly impossible for sperm to survive and make the women pregnant. To me that seemed more natural then adding hormones to my system. Everyone does react to everything differently. So far I've loved my paragard. I've felt more bloated but it does take time for your body to adjust and eventually it does. Some don't like the idea of a metal object in them however it's the same concept as braces perhaps. When you first get them your lips and gums are irritated by the presence of this metal all of a sudden... then slowly but surely it all subsides. It's as if your body suddenly stops being so sensitive to the presence and people will have braces on for 3-4 years and all inflammation that was first there in the original month of getting the braces is gone. The body is very adaptable. The best recommendation is to have your IUD inserted by a OBGYN you really trust. Talk to them and see how comfortable and confident they are at inserting it. Insertion is where majority of the complications occur if there will be any. And always listen to your body. As I said, everyone is different. I had my paragard put in because I was waiting to have sex until marriage. Once I was engaged and planning I had it inserted and I wanted to give my body time to adjust prior to the wedding so I did it 9 months in advance. They say someone who has not had sex or bore children is more likely to expel the device. I have not had that issue... I think my doctor did a great job a placing it. Also if you have been sexually active get tested for any STD or STI if you haven't. If you unknowingly have one when it is inserted this could also be a cause for complications. The truth is doing solid research is the best way to make your own decision. And not all you read is correct. IUD are also useful if you're ever raped. It's a protection you have with you all the time to prevent pregnancy.

Hi I am a Registered Dietitian, I plan to conduct a study regarding copper levels in women with a copper IUD. Since having mine removed after 3 years I will be reporting how o feel. Regardless this was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made in my life. The copper IUD is every bit of a health hazard and none of those terrible symptoms from bloating, weight gain to depression are false. I will prove this before it’s all said and done.