The claim that the copper IUD is non-hormonal and therefore safe compared to synthetic hormonal birth control is misleading as it still can mess with your hormones and can cause severe longterm health problems.

The copper IUD prompts the release of leukocytes and prostaglandins by the endometrium. Prostaglandins control hormone regulation, so here we see that the copper IUD has an indirect effect on hormones and can create imbalances.

There is also another risk of the copper IUD which is not often discussed in the medical community and that is copper toxicity which can cause a woman to experience crippling side-effects as a result.

Copper toxicity can cause numerous symptoms ranging from migraines, to PMS, chronic fatigue, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, mind racing, decreased sex drive, yeast infections, reproductive problems, hair loss, bone loss , allergic reactions and even OCD, Schizophrenia, Autism, Angina, Alzheimer's, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lymphoma.

Besides this important fact, the IUD device is made out of a plastic, called Low-density Polyethylene and even though this type of plastic is considered less toxic than other plastics it still may pose risks of leaching estrogenic chemicals.

The copper IUD also contains barium sulfate to render it radio-opaque and thus making it easier to see on an x-ray. Although barium sulfate suspensions are generally considered to be safe and non-toxic at proper dose Barium sulfate can often, however, cause cramping , constipation or diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, sweating, ringing in your ears, confusion, fast heart rate or pale skin and weakness.

Women are discussing this because doctors are in absolute denial. My side affects and all of these other womens side effects are real!

Please get the Paraguard out. It is the first step to having your life back. I am only now linking all of my symptoms to the copper IUD and I am making appointment with gyno ASAP to have it removed. I have had the copper IUD for 3 yrs and I also want my life back. Absolutely not worth it.

There is a risk of the copper IUD which is not often discussed in the medical community and that is copper toxicity which can cause a woman to experience crippling side-effects as a result.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

While the copper IUD does not contain hormones, it affects your hormones because it promotes the release of leukocytes and prostaglandins.

Happy I'm not crazy. I'm 22 years old having the same symptoms ever since I put in the IUD. Although I never had weight gain, my skin has been breaking out so badly and I too once had flawless skin. I've been extremely moody and experiencing anxiety as well. I started getting an ovarian cyst that comes a week before my period and its very painful until my cycle actually starts, I've never expirienced ovarian cycsts or that pain before in my life. Basically I'm "out of service" for a full 2 weeks in the month, along with really sore, tender breasts that hurts to touch at all. It's been dreadful since I've had it and I know its not for me.. I plan to take this out as soon as Possible & I dont recommend any form of IUD to anyone.

did your acne improve after removal?

Um it's called a allergic reaction, go back to school u don't no how to spell thanks.

Hi did your eczema go away or calm down after removing your paragard iud?

If people can post their negative experiences, someone should also be able to post their positive experiences. The IUD is the most commonly used birth control in the world, making statements like this is fear mongering.

How would a copper IUD cause autism? That makes no sense... You cannot become autistic as an adult.

Research the effects of copper toxicity before you call someone unintelligent. These people are trying to warn you about what can happen to you because of what has happened to them. Defensiveness isn't necessary and if you had gone through any of this you would realize how silly, dare i say...unintelligent, that Mars bars analogy was.

I'm really confused on "how much" zinc to take...I don't want to overdo it or underdo it. I've had my iud for 5 months and have the same symptoms of a copper toxicity. I'm not sure how the device leaches that much copper. Is it constantly leaching copper, wouldn't it eventually deteriorate if that was the case? Does it stop leaching after a while? I wish I knew how much copper the iud was putting into my body, so I could figure out how much zinc to put in. The concept baffles me. It's a solid copper device...why doesn't the copper run out?

COPPER POISOING (WHAT THE COPPER IUD IS MADE OF JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN'T RESEARCH THAT EITHER) CAN CAUSE ALL THESE SYMPTOMS SO BEFORE YOU POST YOUR NEGATIVE, SMART COMMENTS HOW ABOUT YOU INVESTIGATE FIRST.

Copper in high amounts is toxic to the system. It can create an imbalance in the body which can cause all sorts of problems (physical, mental, etc.). Some women are likely more susceptible to this than others due to their inability to get rid of heavy metals in the body (or a high copper level to begin with). This is a real problem. I've done extensive research. The medical community may not recognize this, but that doesn't mean it's untrue. I'm in a yahoo group with close to one thousand women with negative experiences with copper IUD.

I got the copper IUD inserted 5days ago, this was the first day of my period. I decided to get it done just to see what happens but I'm finding that Im really struggling with the pain and blasting, hot sweats and really sensitive. Im super healthy and know my body very well, in truth , I feel like I should have it removed and this recent thread seems to be supporting my decision, Im just waiting for this extremely heavy period to stop. I hope it stops soon as Its quite disconcerting losing all this blood. Furthermore, I also realise that although the copper IUD irritates the womb, causing it to be inflamed so that an embryo may not find it habitable, my uterus will ALWAYS be inflamed? Thats definitely not healthy. Im scared to go through the pain of removing it but I think it needs to be taken out. Its good to try but also good to listen to your body. I have no kids and so the procedure was quite excruciating for 5-7minutes. Was ok after that but the symptoms still prevail. I tried.

I am glad she posted because I am having the same exact effects. Google it thousands are having the same issues.