I am sorry but I do not agree. I am a 23 year old nutritionist so I completely understand how hormones work. I have not had any children nor have I ever been pregnant and I have had the same experience that each of these women have had. Once my IUD was removed all of the symptoms stopped right away.

If you read the fact sheet about the IUD that has no hormones it actually states that acne and irregular peroids are common side effects. Just because it has no hormones it does not mean that having a forgein body in your uterus will not shift your hormones. Its called homeostasis, your body sits in a normal range and when anything disrupts that balance your hormones will change to try and compensate for the change.

I always suspeced that the IUD was my issue, but my docter told me no.  I have terrible stomach pains, severe bloating and horrible backaches.  I also had very heavy periods and sometime it would come every two weeks!  I am so exhuasted of this, I just want to feel normal again.  I've have it for 5 years and it' just get worse!  I'm so glad I stumbled onto these posts, I'm having mine removed next week! 

I have the same issue. Six weeks after insertion eczema began appearing having never had it before. Also bad anxiety. IUD was in six months before I realised it could be the culprit. Out three weeks now with no improvement. Did you have you're removed and if so did it improve eczema and after how long?

I had very similar symptoms to you, and was wondering if you could comment on what happened after getting it out?! I also had a thyroid nodule... did that simply go away with time or did you have to intervene?? I got my copper IUD out three weeks ago after experiencing severe anxiety, panic attacks, tingling and now this thyroid problem.. it never seems to end.

I just wanted to post an "optimistic" story on here. Bodies are different, and each person should decide what their line is as far as discomfort is concerned, but here is what happened to me.

I got my copper IUD inserted in March of 2014. I was expecting a heavier period and cramping. I got those, and more...A few weeks after insertion, I noticed that I had gained at least an inch around my abdomen. A month went by and I had gained another inch. It was strange because I had actually been working out more than usual around this time. I run regularly. In April, I went to my gyno for a follow-up visit and told her about the bloating. She said she had never heard other patients report that as a side effect, but that she would never deny my experience. she suggested that I wait it out a few months for my body to get used to it. I agree, reluctantly. It wasnt until May that I figured out that it had to be the IUD.There was nothing different about my diet and, as I said, I was working out more than usual. All told, I think I gained about 3 inches around my middle after insertion.

I didn't have health insurance all summer so I decided to just wait it out and see if the bloating would go away. All summer, I experienced extreme bloating about a week before my period would start, and moderate bloating at all other times in my cycle. Eating salty foods would increase the bloating to sometimes comic levels - this had never happened to me in prior years when I would eat salty foods. I started measuring my abdomen regularly (below and above the belly button) to make sure I wasn't going nuts. At times, the bloating made me cry. It made no sense to me that I had this pooch suddenly - I had always had a relatively flat stomach. It was agonizing.

Anyway, in around August, my belly bloat started to reverse course. I started losing inches around my belly. I've lost two of the three inches I gained by now. I don't feel "bloated all the time" like before. My periods are slowly getting lighter. Every once in awhile I have cramps, but they are bearable.

I think I am going to keep the IUD in for now because my body seems to be getting used to it. but I have no doubt that it was the IUD that was causing my bloating - it makes sense to me that my body would react to a foreign body by becoming seriously inflamed. The irritating thing is that many doctors don't seem to realize that bloating is a side effect. There isn't enough research being funded to study the copper IUD (and many doctors don't even stay abreast of research trends anyway).

So that is my optimistic story. But, trust your body, and trust your limits. Waiting worked out for me in the end but I am totally in solidarity with any woman who decides to get it removed!!

Good luck to all.

I had a copper cool in for six months. I developed eczema on my face, back, tummy and groin just six weeks in. Doctors gave me creams to tackle it which didn work. After six months of struggle I had the copper coil out. For six weeks or so the symptoms didn't improve and to some extent got worse, then all of a sudden it started going. Eight weeks after removal and my eczema is as good as gone. I can't prove it was the copper coil causing it and doctors are adamant it's not however improvements only began after removal.

I got the Paraguard last Thursday (11/20/14). So far I'm still taking 800 mg ibuphrohen due to on and off cramping (about twice a day when it's unbearable). I feel SO bloated and feel as if I've gained 10 lbs. I've lost a lot of weight and I'm scared to step on the scale when I was happy to. I'm going through panty liners every time I go the bathroom. I know discharge is common but I'm starting to worry if this could be infection. I was on the last two days of my period on the day of insertion so or was expecting some bleeding for almost a week. But the discharge smells of vinegar. Very embarrassing and don't know how to explain to my boyfriend. I'm taking probiotics for feminine health because I know a woman is more susceptible to infection with an IUD, I'm taking an iron supplement preparing for the agonizing periods coming up to combat anemia, I'm taking a daily vitamin that has zinc to offset the copper, and I'm debating on increasing my zinc to also combat the copper some more. Someone mentioned taking vitamin E? The reason I chose Paraguard was because the pill has never worked for me or any hormone. I continually bleed. I've taken them all. I'm 25 no kids. I don't know what to do if this doesn't work and I'm not really ready for children yet. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

ANYONE GOTTEN HYPERPLASIA WHILE THEY HAD PARAGARD??  - I am 48.  I had my paragard removed in November after having it in for four and a half years.  Within a few months of getting the IUD, I noticed decreased sex drive, and my periods gradually started to last longer, often two weeks on then two weeks off.  Then this October I bled for a good four weeks.  In my mind, I had atributed these symtoms to the IUD, but had never gone back to the gynecologist, because I was busy and also at least the IUD was convenient in terms of preventing pregnancy!  I also gained a lot of weight that first year (from 135 at time of insertion to 148 lbs. 10 months later).  When my IUD was removed, the doc did a biopsy just in case something was wrong, and it came back that I have complex hyperplasia with some atypical cells.  Yikes, total shock.  Now they want me to have a hysterectomy.  So now I wonder if everything I attributed to the IUD was actually due to hormones getting out of balance due to my age.  (Hyperplasia is caused by estrogen dominance.)  But still, I don't have the typical risk factors for hyperplasia and I can't help but wonder if this is all somehow related!  Oh, I forgot to say also that when the IUD was removed, one "arm" had broken off, so I suspect it may have been embedded. 

The acne is not a result of getting off BC pills. I got off the pill in August 2013 and my skin was gorgeous. I had no acne for months. Then in February 2014 I got the IUD put in. One week after I had the IUD put in I started developing terrible cystic acne and breakouts that only got worse. I stopped eating dairy, sugar, meat, etc. I went to get a facial. NOTHING I did helped. I've had the copper IUD for a year now and I'm getting it taken out next week. The IUD was the one constant and my acne began right after I got it put in and only got worse. It's such a relief to see that other people are experiencing similar symptoms and that I'm not crazy! This is ridiculous - that we as women bear all the responsibility for preventing pregnancies and have to put up with these ridiculous side effects! Nowhere is cystic acne listed as a side effect of the copper IUD. I feel like I've been lied to!

I had a copper IUD for over ten years. My skin was fairly good as a teenager, but broke out HORRIBLY after 6 months of having it in. I never connected the dots that the IUD could be causing this, but like many on this board it's convienent that my skin (and all confidence) got SO bad after insertion. And like everyone else here–doctors will tell you there's no connection. 

I've never been pregnant–whoever mentioned symptoms from post-pregnancy–not a factor for me. I finally got the IUD out because it was both time and my anxiety had sky rocketed! I also dug around on the web and matched every single symptom for copper toxicity. Anxiety, depression, hair loss (texture change), tinea versicolor, fatigue, hypoglycemia, anemia, tingling in limbs, the list goes on...

I never gained a tremendous amount of weight with the IUD–however loosing weight was hours at the gym and severe calorie restriction. I've LOST 6 lbs (over the holidays!) since IUD removal last month by cutting out the little sugar I did eat (helps anxiety) and doing ZERO gym activity. My anxiety is now bad after working out so i've just been walking the dog. I now also eat steak every week to up my zinc.

Sorry to be the as****e for writing this but I'm actually starting to worry about loosing too much weight so fast and may have to up my daily calories (even more steak).  My skin is now almost perfect again after dealing with zits for 10 years! Hair is softer and hopefully growing back!

It's INSANE what women suffer to our bodies for birth control! I'm now using condoms (on fertile days), pull out and tracking my fertility. Get Weschler's book Taking Charge of your Fertility–it will change your life and make you INCREDIBLY PISSED that you didn't have to poison your body, mind and spirit just to not get pregnant!

Good luck ladies!

I understand that you may have had a bad experience with the paraguard iud, however I don't think you should advise people to not try it based on your experience.

So after I had a paraguard out in I immediately had a throbbing pain in my neck. I looked at an anatomy picture and it was my thyroid. I started looking into copper toxicity and excess copper causes the thyroid to change. I found a research article that said women with copper IUDs have 2x the normal a out of copper in their system. I also gained 5lbs in 3 weeks. So I actually removed it myself! YES, you can pull it out yourself. Don't wait. Find the strings and tug. It doesn't hurt at all.

I mean Paraguard in I had the throbbing pain in my neck. The day after I woke up with it.

I have had the Paraguard almost 2 years and I want my life back.  It has gotten to the point where I can barely make it through one of my shifts at work (I stand the whole time) without having to take a prescription pain killer.  I have started using alcohol to get through the pain during my period since sometimes pain killers do not help..  now the pain is not only during my period but about half of the days of my life so I'm using alcohol more and more just to be able to stop crying.  I eat healthy and love working out so this really doesn't fit with my lifestyle. 

I'm getting to the point to where I feel like my life is being ruined and wasted.  I'm not myself anymore and find myself constantly depressed, feeling groggy, and crying more than ever before.  Sex is pointless because it doesn't feel good like it used to so I have zero sex drive which I'm sure is messing up my relationship with my boyfriend.  I have been wondering if I would ever have my life back and be able to be the person I used to be before.