I do NOT recommend the paraguard iud to anyone!! When my doctor first mentioned the copper iud I was skeptical. I didnt want a foreign object in my body like that but after many failed attemps at hormonial birth control (i have really bad side effects to the hormones) I didn't have many more options so I had the copper iud put in. That was three years ago. Since putting in the iud I have had nothing but problems. From cronic acne to weight gain and unbearable periods. The acne started a few months after I had it inserted. I have never had acne in my life! Now I have it everywhere! I've tried everything to clear it up from monthly facials to seeing a dermatologist and nothing has worked. The weight gain started around the same time as the acne. It came on fast and has been extremely hard to lose. I eat healthy drink tons of water and work out at least 4 times a week but can't drop any weight! The worst has been the periods. Since the day I put the iud in I have not had a normal period. Its been three years! The first year I had non stop bleeding. Yes thats right an entire year without a day off from bleeding! My doctor told me my body was just adjusting to give it a little more time. So I did. Year two I finally had a monthly period but it would last 10 days and be very painful to the point where I couldn't even get out of bed. The doctor said this was normal with the copper iud so I just accepted it. It was nice not have to worry about taking a pill. Then year three hit hard. Two periods a month. So I went back to the doctor. She told me it was not from the iud it was in place and working fine. She told me "you're perfect". I call BS! There is nothing normal about bleeding this much! After my last period lasting 18 days and only getting a 4 day break before the next one started! I went to get a second opinion. My new doctor was amazed anyone could tell me what I have been going through is normal! She ran a bunch of tests and determined that everything is work fine (my thyroid etc.) The only thing it could be is the iud causing all of these problems. I'm having it removed next week and I can't wait to have this horrible thing out of me! I just hope it hasn't caused too much damage!

I have had the same issues, I was on the nuva ring before I had the Paraguard and had flawless skin my whole life..i got the Paraguard and my face has been hell and back I break out constantly and talk about my uterus/Cervix feeling like its being stabbed or something scraping it. My cycle is regular but I go through a super plus tampon in 30 mins, which making it difficult to run errands without running to the bathroom every 30 mins. I made my appt for tmrw for removal and going back on the nuva ring. The only PRO of the IUD was the longevity of it 10 years and non hormonal but thats it, ill take dealing with hormones over having horrible acne and bad cramps and pelvic pain. I suggest anyone to do LOT of research on the IUD before thinking about getting this!!

I had the paragard put in about 4 years ago. Earlier this year I was having frequent urination/a lot of pelvic pain. After several doctors visits and a few ultrasounds. It was determined my iud was not in the correct place. When I went to my physician to remove it she could not remove it so she sent me to the gyn. The gyn also could not remove it but after I insisted she keep trying and I would handle the pain to avoid surgery removal she was successful with the removal. Unfortunately this device did not work properly and has caused me a lot of pain and suffering. I am happy to have it out and feel much better. I think you need to know about this. I'm sure most people have positive experience. This has also caused me a lot of money out of my pocket for expenses and lost time for work. I will not get another one. 

I'm so relieved after reading all these posts and others I have read online. I had the copper IUD put in a few months ago and yes it was extremely painful when it was put it. My periods last for two weeks. The first week just spotting and cramping. I've gained 6 lbs in the last 3 months and I never put on weight. I exercise regularly and I watch what I eat so I know it has nothing to do with that.

The worst part is this feeling of bloating. I'm constantly bloated and now feel pain in my tummy. I feel this extreme tightness in my stomach and I look like I'm 5 months pregnant. This is ridiculous. I am getting my tubes tied soon and I'm going to get this taken out of me. I'm just glad that it's not just me.

I asked my doctor and she said it had nothing to do with the IUD. Half of the time I think they just guess. I can't wait for it to be out.

I've had paraguard for a year now I have bleeding up to.a month with it frequency urination cramps it's horrible

Even without the hormones, you have a foreign body in your uterus. It makes sense that people are experiencing bloating and weight gain. I'm currently using the IUD and even though I haven't experienced severe symptoms, I gain at least 2-3 lbs during my period from water retention and bloating.

amiraaamira I had my iud since last November. ... and I have thick long hair and guess what happened! Big bald spot from no where on the side of my hair after 3 months from having it "high level of copper causes alopecia " no one in my family suffers from it. I wanted removed I work out really. Hard.I can't lose one pound Instead I gain weight.I'm always bloated from any little thing I eat. I feel like I'm harming my body...

Hello there, I have the same eczema and it seems like its because of Paraguard IUD... Did removal help? Thank you!!!

I'm a Personal Trainer and Nutrition coach so I know how to eat well and what to do for exercise etc etc.  I had the copper IUD inserted about 6 months ago and to be honest, I really do not like it and am heading to the docs next week to have it removed.  I have 10 day long periods but the worst thing for me is that I've gained around 7lbs around my abdomen (which looks fluffy).  I know something isn't right because for the past 5 weeks i've been eating clean and working out more than usual (going on holiday and wearing a bikini in 2 weeks time) - i've followed a plan that I KNOW works to lose a few lbs and I HAVE NOT LOST A POUND. In fact, today, the scale said I'd gained 3 lbs.. I also feel more tired since i've had it and just generally 'off'.  After doing some research and finding all these other women with the same issues, I can only conclude it is that. 

wow thats amazing! I recently saw a comment on one of my friends facebook status and someone mentioned about having skin problems with the IUD and it finally made sense as to why my skin is only getting worse. I have been searching far and wide for a cure for my overly dry skin and spent hundreds of dollars on creams and natural soaps and nothing has stopped it from spreading. So glad I looked further into this. I had eczema once before and i know realize that the one common thing is I had an IUD. Its no wonder my eczema would clear up when i was pregnant! I didnt have an IUD! So I scheduled my appt to get this thing removed. My husband agreed to get a vasectomy since we already have three kids and are done. We will have to find a different contraceptive in the mean time. Im just too excited to get my sking cleared up again i set an appt before i my husbands surgery.. its been so depressing to suffer from eczema in my face and even more depressing to see it spreading all over. I lost all my confidence and even stopped working out because i was to depressed about not losing weight after weeks of working out consistently. Also my periods are beyond heavy, a super tampon doesnt even work. Lately my cramps and bloating and spotting has gotten worse so I'm glad that i found this site to help me make my decision to get my IUD removed. Its like a weight lifted of my shoulders. my appt is for april 22 I will update you on my results after..

thank God Im not the only one. I thought i was going crazy these past months i havent lost a pound working out and eating clean! i also scheduled an appt to get it removed it has to be the IUD i cant think of anything else that could possibly be the cause of my inexplicable weight gain.

These symptoms all sound like they're due to the hormonal shift that occurs after giving birth, NOT the copper IUD. I know that's not what anyone else in this woman's particular situation wants to hear but considering this as the cause of your problems could make it far easier for you to fix... Maybe this woman didn't experience these symptoms the first time because she was younger and probably went back on bc eventually--who knows? What's important is that I doubt taking out her copper IUD did anything but make her periods lighter and take care of some bloating. The rest of her symptoms would remain until she addressed her hormonal imbalance.

Keep in mind that after giving birth a woman's hormones--which have surged to an amazing degree for the past 9 months--PLUMMET DRASTICALLY and this can cause all sorts of problems. Some women find they've suddenly developed thyroid problems (seemingly out of nowhere) and then there are all the symptoms of hormonal imbalance which include weight gain, acne, hair loss, fatigue, depression etc; you can get all sorts of problems when your hormones are out of whack cause the human endocrine system is all connected and incredibly complicated (estrogen, progesterone, testosterone all have like a billion different functions that depend and are depended upon for everything else to work smoothly).

What's a woman to do? I would take out the IUD if it bothers you (it would certainly bother me to have a foreign object lodged inside me) but more importantly you need to address the hormonal imbalance. Most women just go right back on bc pills--i believe you can go on progesterone only mini pills if you're breast feeding. Personally, I think bc pills are just as bad for the body and would rather balance my hormones naturally through supplements (zinc, magnesium, D3, selenium etc) but then again if you were on the bc pill for years your body probably doesn't make enough hormones on its own anymore (this is proven in studies).

I have to agree, I had the bloating, the abdominal pains that left me hunched over in the super market, weight gain that I never had before and even after it was taken out I had one hell of a menstrual cycle. I was bleeding through pads and tampons every hour, it really sucked.

Copper ionides in fact causes hormone problems for women with high estrogen levels. Your PMS symptoms multiply. So though copper is not a homone it disrupts you normal hormone balance!

I don't usually reply to forums but I really feel like women need to know about how terrible the copper IUD is. I had mine inserted just before my wedding, never had an issue with acne in my life I actually had beautiful skin that most people would compliment. The first 3 months were ok, from there my peroids were much heavier and painful though, most days I couldn't get out of bed. The  I started to get this intense hormonal acne (on my chin, around my jawline, forehead, and thwn I started getting it on my neck). They were so painful and not even make up would cover them. I saw so many different doctors, naturopaths, dermatalogists and everything they gave me did not help one bit. I am a nutritionist and knew that my diet wasn't a problem despite each healthcare telling me it was. I tried acne creams, I went back on the pill, literally became so desperate that I started on a course of retinA creame. NOTHING HELPED. My self esteem was so low and it just kept getting worse. I decided that all the health care professionals I saw werent listening, I told them it was the IUD and they told me I was crazy. I decided to do my own research and that is when I remember the trace mineral copper, and that too much copper in the blood cancels out the trace mineral zinc (responsible for healthy skin and hair). When your zinc levels are low it can severly affect your hormones. I decided to get it taken out ASAP. With on two days my skin had cleared considerably, after one week it was pretty much clear. My peroids returned to normal and after just a couple of weeks my skin was back to the radiant clear skin I had before the copper IUD. I no longer have an intense skin regime and my skin had never been better. I do not care what any doctor tells you, if you have a copper IUD and are experiencing acne then you ahould seriously considee other barrier methods. I hope my experience will help women think twice before having a copper IUD inserted.