OM MY GOODNESS,
I thought, well i am not sure what i thought... i go through constant urination, pains, cramps, bloating.... my face is constantly breaking out, i have never experience such in my 30 years of age.. i have the copper inserted over two months ago... i just thought.... i dont know actually.. i have gained weight, i know my body is really sensitive and reacts quite quickly, i just didnt want to attribute it to the insertion of copper... Mind you i have also become SUCH A DRAGON when i am ovulating, i t drives me insane.

Thank heavens i am not losing my mind..... Thank heavens.
everyone keeps telling me it has NO SIDE EFFECTS...
tHANK YOU, I THOUGHT I WAS LOSING IT

Just because it doesn't contain hormones doesn't mean it doesn't throw hormones out of wack. After my own immediate unexplainable weight gain, I began to research and several women have experienced this with Paraguard. Women aren't stupid. Our bodies all work differently, and usually we can make a pretty good guess as to what is going on. I'm not ready to throw out the baby with the bath, but instead, I'm looking for ways to balance my hormones. I've had the iud for 6 months, so I'm not a newbie at this. I figure I will work at it for another 3 months before making any rash decisions. So far, I have ordered supplements to support my adrenal glands, and I plan to supplement iron, zinc, c, magnesium, as well as adding in probiotics and trying a more paleo diet. (I'm ok with occasional cheats though. ;)

I was wondering if your skin ever cleared up after getting it removed? I'm in the exact situation you were in

Has your blistering hand eczema gone away? I got paraguard in Feb 2014, and started having blistering hand eczema August of 2015. It flares up again in another spot before it even heals in the last spot on my hand. Steroid creams do not help.

There is not a one size fits all for any medication, especially when it comes to our reproductive health. I am an RN and I work in women's health. I thought I would share my experience with this device. I want to start by saying that for MOST women, this type of device will work effectively at preventing pregnancy. The ideal candidate for a paragard IUD is someone with naturally light periods, low fat percentage, and not highly sensitive to medications or environmental allergens. People who are not good candidates would be vegetarians, people on corticosteroids or medications that frequently need to be filtered through the kidneys on a daily basis, people who naturally have problems with oily skin, are sensitive to environmental allergens (think pollens, meds, various substances) or people who have Wilson's disease.
The reasoning for this is that MOST women can filter the amount of copper in the copper IUD out of their bodies through well functioning kidneys and properly functioning adrenal glands. If your adrenal glands or kidneys are already fatigued from using steroids (think asthma or drugs like prednisone) or you practice vegetarianism ( already using a diet high in copper) you are not going to properly be capable of filtering the copper out of your system. MDs get very little nutritional training in medical school and copper toxicity is not well studied. If you discuss this with your MD they are likely to inform you that the side effects you may experience are heavy crampy periods which is what the FDA was mandated the manufacturer of paragard to tell u.
Again, this is not fear not fear mongering. MOST women should be ok using this device aside from the types I mentioned. Those who do end up developing excessive copper may experience - anxiety, psychosis, hair loss, suicidal ideation, paresthesias ( numbness and tingling) muscular cramping, dizziness, low grade fevers, insomnia, acne and other skin inflammatory disorders.
My personal experience with paragard is two fold. With my first paragard my asthma was well controlled and I was on a very low dose corticosteroid. I was also eating a highly paleo diet ( lots of meat no refined starch). I had zero side effects besides heavy bleeding the first 2 months. After that it was great. I told everyone how wonderful it was. Then at an appt my doc told me it was slipping out of my cervix and would need to be replaced. No big deal. I had it replaced. However at this point 4 years later I was on a higher dose of steroids and practicing a vegetarian diet. Within 1 week I had gained 6 lbs. I broke out in a flaky rash all over my nose and mouth. My sex drive plummeted and my breasts were sore. I thought my OB had accidentally placed a mirena and panicked. Soon after I began to have racing thoughts and got extremely depressed. I kept chalking it up to my diet or maybe not getting 8 hours of sleep. My diet and exercise patterns did not change. It wasn't until I contemplated jumping in front of a BART train that I realized how serious this was. I have never been a pessimistic depressed individual. I immediately called my doc and asked her if it was possible my IUD was causing this. She didn't have an answer but agreed to remove it. I had it out yesterday. My mood improved within 24 hours. My bloating was gone. No change to my weight yet but I am just starting a period so we will see. Just wanted to show ppl how u can be on both sides of the metaphorical copper coin

yes, women need to do the research! Copper and estrogen feed eachother, so yes a copper iud affects your horomones(google it for more detailed info lol)! Also....get an IUD inserted by someone who does it daily....I went to a gyno, not my own dr....it was done in literally 5 min.
All the negative reviews scared me but every body is different and I don't want babies so I have to try it for myself. I did alot of research into copper IUD's.
I take magnesium twice day and an iron pill for my pre existing anemia but I also started taking 50mg of zinc the day I got my iud put in and am paying close attention to see if I need to take it twice /day. Ive been journaling all my signs/symptoms/side effects daily since I got the iud inserted.. 2 weeks ago. Every woman should!!! One should also have an idea what foods are higher in copper as well as zinc.
I am going to wait it out the recommended 6-9 months before I decide against it. The bloating really sucks as does the slight spotitng and discharge but what can a woman expect with something foreign in her uterus I have yet to experience a period but mine were fairly light and only lasted 4 days so I m hoping it's not too bad.
My insertion went very well....nothing worse then a pap appointment....althought I did take 800mg of motrin an hour before....had mild cramping afterwards.

Hello there, I had bad eczema from copper IUD too and now it's gone. I did some research. I decided to post it so maybe it can help other women like me

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hormones and copper toxicity have a great deal in common. So clearly you're not really in the position to be making judgements either.

I had the paragraph removed yesterday after only having it in not only 4 months. I'm breastfeeding so I never had a cycle but the bloating and stomach pain was more than I could bare. Here I am 10 lbs less than when I got pregnant and I didn't look it or feel it. My doc told me I needed to go see a GI doctor and thinks I just have IBS. .. however.. here I am almost 24 hours without it and my bloating has almost completely diminished. This is the best I've felt in a while.

This was my exact experience. Heavy bleeding for for 2 weeks and it got so bad I wound up in the ER. Just terrible experience for me at 41 it's not worth it to bleed all the time. Was starting to feel very sick and depressed so I had it removed by a doctor.

Hi. I've always had eczema issues. Mostly on my legs. After getting the paragard inserted 30 days ago, I've developed the most grotesque eczema on my scalp. I have never had a breakout this bad or on my head.
Did yours go away after you had it removed?

Thank you!!! I have been experiencing these side effects and felt the same way that I was ready to have it removed... I am going to try your suggestions as I am familiar with supplements and have an understanding how the body works! Thank you so much!!!!

"...however, I don't think you should advise people to try it based on your experience" And then you go on to share your experience. You should practice what you preach. If someone had a good experience with the copper iud, good for them. Just because you didn't doesn't mean you get to tell them they can't share their story. Your bad experience is not everyone else's, we are all created differently and our bodies are going to respond differently, to all sorts of things!

The weight gain comes from the excess build up of copper in your body from the IUD. This is known as copper toxicity. Symptoms of copper toxicity include depression, acne, weight gain, and more. If you try to boost your metabolism your body has a good chance of doing what's call "copper dumping" and, if you are unaware if this phenomenon, the side affects include sever depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, and bouts of rage. The only reason it's not so bad if you know about it is because, as opposed to these emotions seemingly coming out of nowhere, you know what you will experience. I am living proof of this, I ended up in hell because of it.

thank goodness i found this thread :-) . After having 5 children and using various failed birth controlled methods , i was recommended the copper coil, as apparently it has no side effects . i have developed intense itching inside my ears eczema that just wont go away and down below . i get spots , on my tummy , i have really painful cramps , get so moody leading up to my period, and for days beforei have cramps and feel like i have a case of flu my legs ache and i just feel sick , i get down depressed , almost suicidal and im not depressed . i have had days when it really really stings to pee like something is stuck there . i though this was the solution as it was hormone free , i cant take hormones due to migraines . i just randomly had a sparkle moment and searched this and this thread appeared thank you to whoever started this .