So I will be having my Copper IUD removed January 9th and am pretty excited!!! yess removed. Even though I do know what method I will be using next because am bad with hormones I don't care.....insertion was pretty painful and that's with me being pain tolerant, periods have been horrible from feeling stomach tenderness and extreme bloating to a lot of back pain to the point I could not get off the couch. Breast tenderness, fatigue, and did I mention sexual drive has gone out the window.....headaches every other week. All these symptoms with or without periods. FYI I consider myself very pain tolerant and not a complainer. I am just stating facts. Last straw to the reason am having this removed is am constantly being asked if am pregnant. I am 5'3 130 pounds the norm for me is 125 but this 30day pudge period or no period makes me look 4-5 months pregnant.........Do research before getting it so the insertion won't be nothing.

HI Rio- what did you end up doing? My experience is very similar to yours. I had Paragard inserted about 3 weeks ago.

I'm sorry, but it's not just hormones that can affect your body... you, my friend, are the one who should not be posting. Copper can affect your body and can cause all of those side effects. I'm just glad someone figured out how to handle them with natural supplements as opposed to adding HORMONAL birth control pills to help counter it!

No there are no hormones in the copper IUD but women's bodies are made to have a certain amount of metals for optimal health. Copper is not a hormone, no, but copper effects hormones, raising estrogen levels thus causing a plethora of health issues. I read hundreds of posts from women who have/had the copper IUD and the problems it caused them and I still had one inserted. Two months out and had extreme edema, weight gain, headaches, back pain, my hips ached and I didn't have cramps, I was having full on contractions during my period just like those I've had when giving birth;p twice. There are a vast majority of women who DO NOT have any issues with having copper placed in their bodies but there are a large enough amount of women who do. No one is trying to scare anyone from using a copper IUD but making women aware of the fact that you might be one of the few who is sensitive to copper is the RIGHT thing to do. I had mine removed two months after getting the copper IUD as my symptoms were very noticeable. I had a period for two weeks, light the first and by the second week i was ready to pass out from the amount of blood I was loosing; and was STILL bleeding going into week three. For ME, and many others, these symptoms occur. Three hours after having my copper IUD removed, my back pain was GONE, the aching in my hips STOPPED, my mood improved from irritable and depressed to calm and happy and my chronic heart palpitations stopped. These women; like me, who are sensitive to copper have done research and have experience these problems. So, if all you have to offer is "you're scaring people and you don't know what you are talking about'" might I suggest you post your experience and your knowledge that contradicts knowledge and experience these women have gained? I love to learn knew things and if my experience is due to something else and my research is invalid I would love to know about it. P.S. My specialty is investigations. It's what I do for a living.

Hi I just got copper IUD on Monday night 3/20. The next morning, I woke up feeling super fat and bloaty in my lower tummy and have been feeling like I have to pee all the time and when I do pee, it comes out all over the place and not like a straight stream downward like it used to. I just went back to my obgyn & told her I was worried along with the other details. So anyways I told her I was worried my IUD was expelling. She took a look inside my vagina and said I have swelling going on and since my uterus is swollen it pushes against my bladder which is why I feel bloated and feel the urgency to pee a lot. She said I should take ibuprofen to help with the swelling. Everything else looks great and the strings even have already curled around my uterus opening which is a great sign. I feel reassured and a lot better now instead of the paranoid self I was before :-). Just a heads up, my Paragaurd insertion went fabulously well. I went to the doc on my last day of my period, I breathed deeply and slowly, took lots (4 tablets) of Excedrin extra strength an hour before, ate crackers so I wouldn't feel nauseous, got the heating pad on my tummy, held my boyfriends hand. It did not hurt at all, I only felt pressure when she measured my uterus and then a lot more pressure/weird feeling when she pushed the IUD up in there. FYI, I've never had a baby. I must just have a high tolerance to pain & mentally strong (most of the time) :-). Also...I did have cramping going on that first night but the next day, I didn't really

To clarify that you think the original poster was " unintelligent" Copper IUD's do not contain hormones, your right about that. HOWEVER. Excess copper in your body can start to affect Estrogen levels, and can interfere with thought process and overall mental clarity. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself before coming on here and slamming women as unintelligent. As if women dont have enough problems!

It actually can, because of the cooper. Copper ions are released and makes you have a zinc defiency, which is what causes the bloating and pms symtoms. Look it up.

I had one for the past 1.5 years and it was a horrible. For the first three weeks I was so bad I wanted to put my hands inside me and take it out. I could even feel where it was. After 3-4 months I got used of it but the periods were very heavy and mentally I was a mess. I got iron deficiency and felt weak most of the time. I did not gain weight but could not loose any either. I noticed quite from the beggining that my skin changed to more transparent, soft and fragile. I did not pay attention until I got severe eczema all over my body for the first time in my life at 35. Never had any nor anyone in my family did. I removed it two months ago and went through a treatment with corticosteroids to clear the eczema. I am perfectly fine now and all back to normal. I have a PhD in engineering and I consider myself a very rational and logical person but although what the doctors say this thing almost kill me seriously. But I have to admit that I was always sensitive to hormons and maybe I am the exceprion to the rule. Still, I should have removed it months ago and same myself the eczema. However, netiher me or my husband had any problems with sex and this was the only advantage. By the way I already have 2 kids and the insertion was the most painfull thing after delivery.

So I've had paragard for several months now and while I haven't noticed much change in my acne I have noticed the difficulty I'm having in losing weight. I was a collegiate athlete so I could lose 5 lbs in a week if I needed and I'm still in my early 20s so I know it's not "age catching up with you".
However the strangest thing started happening. I started getting coin shaped lesions and they progressively started to spread but I've noticed since I started my period and as my cycle regulates these "lesions" multiply exponentially. I'm getting them everywhere. I have a history with eczema and they look very similar but never this severe or fast growing. I'm going to schedule an appointment ASAP to get it removed

If youre going to tell someone not to suggest getting it based on their experience because you had a bad one, then you should tell the whole forum who are suggesting not to get it (also referring to yourself) to not do what theyre doing. These are opinions and everyones body is different. While all of these examples may have common denominators, everyone has different pain tolerances, hormones, hormone imbalances, inherited genes... etc. She said if youre having a bad mirena experience get paraguard, shes not advertising its health benefits. It's an opinion just like yours. I actually didnt want mirena and ended up choosing the paraguard due to hormones making my body react the way everyone else has stated with the paraguard. I'm sorry you had so much happen to you, and wish you the best :)

I'd really like to talk to you more about this copper IUD more. Is their anyway I can get these emotions that come with it to kick? Just take zinc?

Hey i just wanted to post an update for my experience since removing it. I had it for a while i cant remember how long but the hair loss and weight gain and acne with crazy mood swings and cramping(worse than labor contractions) were things ill never forget. My husband and i decided we wanted a big family. I opted to not go on birth control. With all of my subsequent pregnancies and my post pregnant body between the 5 children i have had now, i have not had any of the symptoms i had (extreme hair loss, horrid acne,that belly that wouldn't leave nor have i had such bad mood swings) the copper iud, in my opinion regarding my experience, was the cause of these issues. Copper toxicity is a real thing... You're putting a foreign object in your body...yeah you're probably gonna have side effects.

I have had for 6 years, a bit uncomfortable for insertion(not painful) but overall have been pleased. My period have always been short, but went to like 2 maybe 3 days max. No cramping, light bleeding, no weight gain, no acne, just moody. Recently it has changed and started lasting longer, but I'm about due to change as I have been examined and I'm fine.

You're right. It has no hormones. It can affect your body's hormones though. Copper levels and having a foreign object in your uterus that works by irritating the lining can absolutely throw off your own hormones. Please don't discredit other women's experiences.

I am 25 and got it after my second kid and I've started plugging up the tub with hair loss I also don't have energy to do anything and have gained 8 pounds I've only had it 9 weeks now I'm getting it taken out this week too. I thought it was in my head but even through my pregnancy it was hard for me to gain weight.