Hi there. I'm biology teacher in local high school. I would like to know something on effects that parental death at young age has on kids. I ask this because my mom passed away when I was 7 years old. I don't remember much of it; and it seems that it did not have any negative effects on my upbringing. But there are several kids in my school who lost their parents, I sometimes see them crying in class, though they are trying to hide it. How can I help them?

Parental death at young age can be associated with many types of behavior disorders that can emerge later in their life. It is truly a tragic event, we can freely say trauma and many children simply don’t know how to deal wit that. If they're a bit shy, there's a great possibility that they will never ask for help, or even show their sorrow. Talking helps, of course, if they want to talk, don't push them or anything; they are under enough pressure already. Each kid is a separate world, so your approach to each of them will have to be different from one another.