Please tell me more about discovery of penicilin. I’m 15 years old and am interested in medicine and chemistry. What drugs are based on action of penicilin and do they really can destroy infective agents? Are cephalosporines penicilines too? Thank you in advance.

Penicilin was discovered by Scottish scientist Alexander Fleming. It’s a substance that inhibits development of bacteria. It can’t fight against viruses. Penicillin was isolated from a kind of fungi, it is a natural product. There are natural forms of penicillin and forms that were synthesized to have better performances in therapy. Cephalosporin’s have similar structure to penicillin’s. These drugs exactly kill bacteria; they interfere in development of its cellular wall. They are called bactericides. Some other drugs, like tetracycline are bacteriostatics.