Not much to note. My D walked a few times this last week. We are kind of in a slump. Her scar is looking great. At first it was jagged and I was afaid there would be some uneven area, like there was a shelf. :o It must have been the glue because it is smooth to the touch. :D

I am trying to be patient, yet I find myself bummed :( out because I so desperately want her to start living her life. 33 days post op. She has mentioned that she feels that the saddle bag area on her left leg (surgery side) feels larger than the right and it is sore. Is it possible for one buttock to fall? I am not kidding, but I know the question is crazy. My D's still on all of her meds. She is restless and a bit grouchy.
Have a great week. Menzie

Menzie:

So funny you brought that up about the surgery side being bigger. My is ABSOLUTELY bigger. I'm seeing Dr. Filler not this Monday but next and this is going to be my first question. I'm completely out of shape to say the least from being inactive for a year and a half but that's not the reason for the bigger side so can't wait to hear what the reason is! I was thinking it's still swollen but at 3 months out I doubt it unless there's a problem!!

I'll let you know what he says. Good to hear from you. Grouchy sounds normal to me :)

Leesa

Interesting to hear about the surgery side being fallen somewhat. From a mans point of view I didn't have that much to sink anyway but mine has dropped compared to the other side. Also mine in swollen and tight compared to the other side. I had my wife push with her finger ever so gently on each side. Sure enough the surgery side has a dent and is tight and swollen. Just thought I'd add my two cents worth.
Thanks

Menzie...
Just my two cents on your daughters saddlebag... I TOO had the VERY jagged incision,especially on the lower end of it. It had a HUGE,DEEP, dimple in it...It has now seemed to have leveled off...But for the saddlebag pain...and being larger>>Oh Yea!! It IS Real. :?
THAT on top of ALL my Other muscular issues as in my previous post, I feel like I have a "Triple Whamy" of pain... :( :x
Candy

Yikes! I'm also larger on the surgery side and, like Leesa, have been told it's just the swelling and will go down. But Leesa, if yours hasn't gone down yet after all this time then maybe we're all destined to have lopsided behinds? Ugh! I'm anxious to find out what Dr. Filler says about it when you see him next. PLEASE let us all know.

Margie

Hi! Where did you have the surgery? I am from German, and I am trying to find the doctor in Germany who does this procedure.

Can't help you on this one...since my surgery was on both sides, they still are equal. Hope you figure it out and the swelling or whatever goes down and both sides are the same again.

Donna

Heh, I'd take a lopsided hiney if it didn't hurt!! I'll let y'all know if my bum goes crooked, too. Seeing that I'll be having both sides done...hopefully they'll even out. If not, I'll just be goofy looking from the back.

18 days and counting...

Oh, and, Donna, what have you decided to do about your SI's? As you know, mine are quite painful, too, and hearing that your SI pain came back kinda confirmed my suspicion that the piriformis release will not fix that problem. I think the two are absolutely related, but in terms of a "fix" there is no one surgery that will take care of it all once they are both involved.

Y'all take care,
Julie

Margie:

I will let you know what he says about the 1/2 fat butt (could be a good name for a band). I have lots of questions for him so we'll see.

Julie, counting with you over here.

Leesa

last thursday i had pyriformis release. it has been a rough few days, but it is promising. i finally decided that living with chronic pain was worse than a few months of recovery. my doctor here in tennessee told me that true pyriformis sydrome was rare. he said that i should run from anyone who says that they have done hundreds of these. he has been a surgeon for MANY years and has only cut the pyriformis for this reason 5 times counting me. now, in hip replacements, which he has performed thousands of, this muscle is usually clipped or removed. so in acuallity he has done this many times. i am really startled at having seen that there is a doctor who is performing so many of these surgeries. i am a practitioner in a busy ICU and hope to be back on my feet soon. i sympathize with those of you suffering from pain everyday goodluck. amanda

Amanda,

Welcome to the forum! We all hope that your surgery was a success and that you will steadily get better with each day. If there's one piece of advice that we ALL agree on it would be to take it easy and don't over do it! Keep us posted on your recovery.

Take care,

Margie

Amanda - welcome to the group and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Would you mind telling us your story? It would be interesting to here from an "ICU practician" how she arrived at the point of getting the surgery.

IE, symptoms, length of symptoms, therapies etc tried, what helped, what didnt.

Thanks,
Aztec

Well, back last summer I decided i was going to run a marathon. I was 31 and needed some "big accomplishment". I started running and was doing really well. This is amazing considering i had never ran a day in my life and swore i never would unless i was chased by something big. anyhoo. My husband and I also ride 4 wheelers. At the end of July he stopped his 4 wheeler in front of me, i didn't see him, and boom big wreck. I landed directly on my hip. There was really no problem at first, then little by little over the next few months i was literally crippled with hip and thigh pain. I finally broke down and went to a doctor, he did the old do this stretch bla bla and i gave up. Then, i went to a chiropracter. really helped any headaches i had, but still crippled. Finally about 4 months ago on the verge of a breakdown, i went to an orthopedic doctor. I recieved several Marcain and Steroid injections for several months. I had an MRI after one of the injections into my pyriformis and he had hit it dead on. My symptoms cleared after the injection. My symptoms would improve, but return eventually. Finally he said that he felt it wouldn't get better unless we cut the pyriformis. He is not sure if the direct injury or my sudden "running career" ha ha caused the injury. I really am doing well. I have not had the thigh pain since the surgery, so i am hopeful. I think it is so great to have people to share this with. Unless you have had it, you have no idea how bad it can be. I am a mom, full time student, full time RN and this was devistating to my life. I have great hope that this is the cure!!! I may run that marathon yet!! amanda

Julie

If you remember, I had a second RF treatment just over a month ago. That started to take care of the pain, then boom, the SI joint pain flared up again. After I thought about it I remembered that the flare up began during our "conference" at the beach, most notably about 5 minutes after playing in the waves!

The pain continued for about another week and a half, and my husband insisted I call my doctor again. She said she's heard about a new procedure for which she will be trained the end of this month and that we'll try it then. Until then, best just to wait and treat it with pain killers.

The really good news is that since then, the pain has been decreasing daily, so I think it was just a case of paying for the time at the beach. I'm sleeping again without any meds, not even ibuprofen or aspirin, so I'm happy about that.

Donna

Donna,

So glad to hear the SI pain is subsiding. Mine, unfortunately, isn't. I had another set of SI injections on Monday but they didn't help much. Do you know what the new procedure is for the SI? The only other thing I know of for treating the SI (besides RF, cortisone and fusing it) is using Hylane (sp?) which they use on knees. It's supposed to add to the viscoelasticity of the joint.

I know, for me, my joint feels torn up. No clanking or popping. It just feels busted.

Take care,
Julie