I had a breast lift and slight reduction along with abdominal scar revision and I now look like the bride of Frankenstein. First the abdominal scar revision-the doctor said "not only can I reduce these scars I can also tighten your skin". I said that's fine, but i am only a size 6 so being smaller is not an issue for me. Tighter skin would be a side benefit if i can have smaller scars. I ended up with a scar from my pelvis to my navel and from 4 inches past one hip bone extending up my back to two inches past the other hip bone. At least double the scars I had. I asked why this happened and the surgeon said he misjudged. He said the tissue started to "blanch" and he had to cut more than he expected. My left aerola became necrotic immediately after surgery and all the tissue died. The hole it left has filled in with scar tissue that is bumpy and shiney. My breasts of course are lopsided. The scars that should be under the folds of breast tissue are about an inch up and in plain view all the time. When i got over my shock and sickness from infection(which he said I didn't have, but I ended up in an emergency room and the culture revealed i had a MARSA infection) I asked my surgeon why the lower scars on my breast were so visible. He said he did that intentionally so that if I lifted my arms up when I had a two piece bathing suit on the scars wouldn't show. I found this reasoning incredulous. This was the last straw with him. I hate the scars I have. I am depressed by what has happened to me. I can't stand to look at my body and I don't know where to go. I want to find the best plastic surgeon in the country to find out if any of this is correctable or if there is anything non-surgical to help these hideous scars.

I totally understand your dilemma. I have a vertical tummy scar from surgery and it has been 11 months. Friday I will be going to a dermatologist to see what my options are. Good Luck with finding a plastic surgeon. I think that there is a laser treatment that makes the scars white. Have you heard of this?

thanks

I had an abdominal mesh hernia repair that was supposed to be laparoscopic, but when I woke up, I found a had a 3 inch vertical scar above my belly button with multiple half to one inch scars on several areas of my stomach. No explanation why. I ended up with an internal suture working loose and sticking out of one of the scars. When I went back to the doctor, all the nurse did was pull on the suture and cut it off. The incision continued to be raised and red, only to find I had a suture abcess. A small bubble, immediately at the top of the vertical scar, grew as time went by and when I tried to return to the gym, any ab exercises were painful and I developed a bruise where the bubble and scar meet.

I went back to the surgeon, who said he could repair the scar and bubble, but he would have to place the incision horizontally to heal properly. I allowed him to do this, thinking the issue would be resolved, but the new scar is almost twice the length, the bubble is larger, and he was unable to remove the vertical scar entirely. Now I am in even more pain and most clothing rubs the incision, which has developed into a keloid. Any efforts to exercise continue to cause the mysterious bruise and, as a result, I've gained about 20 pounds in six months.

We were going to do another proceedure to try and correct the keloid and remove the remainer of the original scar, but my primary doctor said do not go back and referred me to a plastic surgeon instead. I saw the plastic surgeon a couple of weeks ago, who acts like its no big deal, but he's not the one with a "jackolantern" smile across his stomach that shows through clothing causing people to ask if I have a piercing and body jewelry. My self esteem has shrank so low, I no longer want the physical part of a 5+ year relationship because of my "frankenbelly". I went to a therapist for a few months and my out look improved until today.

Today I spoke with the plastic surgeon's office again for an update, which there was none, and was told they seriously doubt my insurance company will pay to correct this. I will have to live with the pain and bruising unless I want to try some other options that are considered cosmetic and also not covered by insurance. These options are not cheap or permanent and none of them deal with the pain and bruising - physical or emotional.

I feel your pain and empathize with you greatly. I wish the best for you and hope you are able to obtain physical and emotional relief you deserve.

If you are requiring a scar revision and are experiencing pain and bruising along with a incisional herniation (as it sounds like yours is), do not let your insurance company say no. Complications arising from COVERED procedures are covered by insurance policies. Incisional herniations often have additional complications internally - they are not necessarily cosmetic. I have been through almost this exact scenario myself.

1. You need to look for a physician who will write a letter to your insurer on your behalf and get approval.
2. You need to ask for a case manager at your insurance company who can advocate for you.

Get well!