I have a couple of interesting problems with my mouth and throat. They're pretty irritating and I'd love to know if they're all linked somehow.

Problem number one:
I have issues with salivating sometimes.
It generally has to do with me thinking about a particular food item or having a craving. I start to salivate and then a sharp pain starts throbbing in the curve of my jawline closest to the ear.
Before I realized that water can help it out a little, my jaw and lower cheeks would puff up nearly mump-sized. I don't even need to be eating the food... I just need to think about it or smell it and my jaw feels like it's being stabbed.
It hurts to the point of tears and doesn't stop for a long while. The only thing that I can down is water at that point and that slowly eases it away.

Problem number two:
I have pockets in my throat that store food and sometimes prevent me from swallowing pills.
A few years back, I had a sore throat. I went to the bathroom to look in the mirror and straight in the back of my throat was a molar-sized... well... thing... poking out. I freaked out, thinking that it actually somehow was a tooth... (I watch way too much Medical Mystery...) and I ran to the school nurse for help.
It seemed like she knew exactly what the problem was. She grabbed up a tongue depressor, told me to open wide, and I heard a little squish. The pain was instantly gone and out on top of the tongue depressor was a marble-sized white ball. She told me it was food and that sometimes people have pockets in the back of their throat that pick up a and build up food particles.
I have NEVER heard of this happening to anyone and I can't find an answer or a name for it or even a treatment option for it. It's driving be bonkers! Sometimes pills get stuck in the pockets and I feel them in there for HOURS and it tastes gross. My breath can be pretty gross sometimes, too. :-(

The closest I got to an answer was on this blog here: https://www.steadyhealth.com/Something__food___in_throat_t91852.html

If anyone has any clue or even a similar situation it would be SO COOL if you could help me out! I don't have health insurance and I probably won't for a long time, so... if I could figure out what to do without going to the doctor's office that would be wonderful!

I first realized the pockets in my throat about 10 years ago. Prior to that I would get swollen glands often and antibiotics seemed to be the only way to treat it. The pockets have gotten bigger over time. It is gross and very annoying. Whenever my throat starts hurting I look in the mirror to see if I have any food trapped in the pockets. This might not work for everyone but I clean it out (very carefully) with Q tips. My throat INSTANTLY feels better. I knew a girl who would dip the Q tip in peroxide first. I don't do it that way - Just plain old Q tip. I just starting looking online to find some answers. I can let you know if I find anything.

I have the same thing... which is actually why I was looking it up right now to see if anyone had any solutions. It's getting worse and worse. Over the last couple of months it has just tripled in the amount and the size that I have of the poskets and white stuff. I have been under a lot of stress and wondered if it was at all related although I have no idea how :-). My throat is actually getting sore now from being so engorged with this junk. I'm going to keep looking for a resolution.

I get food (dry) in right side of my throat, awful feeling, depending on what it is will decay, smelly, smelly. No mouthwash, tongue scraping will help.

These are called tonsillar stones. Tonsils are clumps of lymphatic tissue that are supposed to help your body fight infections. But sometimes they can do more harm than good like cause infections themselves like: strep throat and tonsillitis; these problems can cause a fever, fatigue, snoring, bad breath, difficulty sleeping or difficulty breathing while you sleep, restless sleep, sore throats, and finally tonsil stones. If these symptoms happen too often then antibiotics are probably not going to help. A tonsillectomy is more than likely going to be recommended by your Ear Nose and Throat specialist. Make sure to set up an appointment.
FYI- Tonsil problems usually go hand in hand with Adenoid problems. :'(

I just discovered this in my throat. If you push on your tonsils you can actually spit them out. I also gargled and some came out. A dentist friend of mine said gargle peroxide mixed with water. The website says gargle salt water. I have had sore throats all my life, about every other month too. These things are FULL of bacteria.

They're called tonsoliths, I am having throat pain now, but also had to look this up a few years ago. Listerine really helps sweep that stuff away, also crest pro health mouth wash.

Hi-I googled pockets in back of throat and saw your post. I get that same pain-tingling in neck-on the side of my throat near my ear too! Wondered what it was--told other people-no one knew what I was talking about. I went to doctor in case it was an artery blocked or something-but that checked out fine. As far as I can tell it's a muscular issue-nothing serious. My problem isn't as bad as your's sounds--mine is more just tingly and brief pain-discomfort. Good luck.

Growing up I had the small pockets in my throat which would accumulate food over time and either come out on their own or with a small push on my tonsils.  Yellowish white clumps as described which are smelly.  As I got older it got more difficult to clear out the pockets and now it is virtually impossible.  I can feel that my throat is clogged at times and with massaging sometimes feel a release however I think it gets  lodged elsewhere.  Since I was a teenager I would mentioned this to physicians and even dentists thinking that I should have my tonsils removed to rectify the problem.  Everyone has said no to tonsil removal, especially now that I am over 30.  I don't know what to do..... 

Not sure if anyone else experiences this but at times when my throat has been very clogged, I have had terrible cold/ flu like symptoms (I'm sure due to bacteria) however as soon as the pockets release the symptoms IMMEDIATELY disappear.   

I began this search today but I just had a thermal digital body scan which showed some potential issues with my thyroid and carotid artery.  I am thinking that blockage could be what is showing up on this scan. 

Any thoughts any one has I would greatly appreciate.  I've never spoken to anyone who could relate to this uncomfortable, annoying and disgusting issue.  If the overall consensus is that a ENT doctor is the way to go, I will make an appt tomorrow. 

THANK YOU -

Someone from Mexico Toldme to gargle with 1/2 lemon juice and a teaspoon of baking soda for a few minutes. The next day a lot of the yellow material came out.

I have the same problem since before but recently it made me concerned as I everyday I feel something is smelling and couldn't find out what was it, then when I tried to clear my throat there is this yellowish smelly stuff that came out and made me worry, I hope you guys had something to share to help me with this as I started to worry. :-(

Just want to say that I had my tonsillectomy when I was 64 years old and am so glad I did. If you have any sign of enlarged tonsils causing sleep apnea, you will probably easily get an ENT doctor to recommend a tonsillectomy. Sure, there is a lot of pain associated with a tonsillectomy, but keep in mind that it it's only one time you will be having this pain, and the results will be worth it.

I am having this issue now... :(

Just discovered that if you push the pocket of skin open with a qtip a lot of food balls will come out of the pocket when you cough. But you have to stretch the pocket of skin the right way for this to happen.

This may help (Tonsil stones).