Hi, I live in Fairfax Station, Virginia. I'm 16 years old, I'm Catholic and I have a great home life and an even greater relationship with my boyfriend. I'm going into the 11th grade this fall. I'm a varsity cheerleader and lacrosse player for my high school and i don't want to give it all up just yet. My boyfriend and I have decided to lose our virginity to each other within the past months. I believe I may be pregnant. Of course I am going to take a pregnancy test ASAP so hopefully all my worrying can be for nothing. But my parents found out my boyfriend and I were having intercourse so I just recently got on a birth control pill last Sunday so it's only been a week since I've been taking it. Although after researching I have realized I have symptoms of early pregnancy. I have tender, swollen breast, Nausea without vomiting, Fatigue, Increased urination and finally food aversions or cravings. I'm hoping that all these symptoms are only from the pill that I have just recently started taking because they all just started this week. Although my father(democrat) is pro-abortion I'm positive he won't feel the same way if the circumstances were turned and Im the one ending up becoming a pregnant teen. As for my mother and step-father(republican) they have alway made it very clear in their household that they are Anti-abortion. So I looked up the Parental Consent laws by state and in the state of Virginia not only do you need a parent need notarized but also a written parental consent! I do not plan on telling my parents I may be pregnant! Nor have i told my boyfriend about my pregnancy scare right now!. If I end of being pregnant Im positively sure that abortion is the right path to take for me and my circumstances of life. Back to the consent laws of Virginia, because of all the information can I still bypass these for an abortion without my parents finding out? I know Washington D.C has No Laws and it's only 30 minutes away from me. Can I go to Washington D.C and get an abortion? I guess my main question is with Bypassing the Virginia Parental Consent Laws with a judge for me to get a abortion will my parents find out? Like will they be notified that I'm trying to do this without them behind their backs?

Hi Glaxer,

Take a home pregnancy test.  Your period can change when you start birth control.

RE: the bypass.  It's not going to just be as easy as going into a courthouse and asking a judge for a bypass.  He/she is going to want to know why you want them to not tell your parents.  You'll have a lot of explaining to do and it may not be "free."  You may need to get a lawyer for this.

You would do much better to tell your parents about what is going on with your body.  No matter what they will know that something is bothering you.  What happens if you have any "complications" from the abortion?

If you want to act like an adult you need to accept the responsibilities that go along with it.

Good luck.

Resident

This question was posted a year ago. 

I am just curious to know how it all went.

Did you end up being pregnant? if you did then how did you handle the situation.

I have my own thoughts on this but I wont say anything until I hear from you and what your course of action was.