Hi, for the last few months I have been thinking about building a better body. And two months ago I finally decided to put my ideas into action. I have joined a gym and started with lifting weights. I want not only to build my muscles, but to get stronger as well. A guy at the gym told me that I should then start powerlifting instead of bodybuilding work out. Why is powerlifting better for strength increase in comparison to other methods?

Hi, the difference between bodybuilding workout and powerlifting workout is enormous. This is because bodybuilders and powerlifters have very different goals they want to achieve with their trainings. Bodybuilders want to get big and powerlifters want to get strong. When the powerlifter trains he or she does less repetition with much heavier weight. So the main desire of every powerlifter is to lift as much weight as possible in one repetition, while the bodybuilder lifts less weight in more repetitions to make the muscles grow. Now I don't say that when you powerlift your muscles do not get bigger. You will definitely have more mass, but the definition of those muscles is not the same as in the bodybuilder. Now it is up to you to decide what your main goal is. If it is strength before the muscles than powerlifting is the thing for you. However, whatever you decide you should have a trainer to help you compose a workout program that will suit your needs best. Good luck!