Is too early or you are planing it already?
Just want to see some of your suggestion what to do for these two holidays. What do you usually do? Do you have a tradition or you try to do a new thing every year.

Regards.

Hi Red

Generally just have a quiet Christmas in with the family, then a panto for new year - always lots of fun :-D

How about you, Red?

Usually spend Christmas with the family and the kids - dinner at the parents after everything is done at home.

We have a pretty big New Years Day tradition though - all of our extended family gathers for a family brunch. It is kind of like an annual family reunion. It has been hosted at my mother's house for probably the past 20 years - and there are over 100 people there each year. It is something everyone looks forward to every year.

This is the first Christmas since my mothers passing, so it is going to be hard for my kids. We are big into Christmas but it's going to be difficult not to notice the elephant in the room. She used to have Christmas Eve at her house, then Christmas day was at mine. This year they will all visit a few good friends and make the stops at the other side grandparents but Christmas Day will still be here as usual. It is going to be interesting to see how i fit 15 people in 800 sq. ft. of living space, but seeing that i can't entertain them in the bathroom or the bedrooms, that cuts my party hall down to about 300 sq. ft. o.O O brother. But i will pack them in like sardines. I will cook a hugh dinner and laugh and be obnoxious like we always are, hey that's how we roll around here.

As far as New Years, i have not been out on NYE in about 12 years and i was lucky if i was awake to watch the ball fall. If i don't make the decision to go out this year, i will probably babysit for the grands which i will end up doin anyway i'm sure.

Christmas Eve was NEVER a celebration in my family or my wife's family and we have cheerfully carried on that tradition.

Christmas day begins at our house with the opening of the presents. Now that we have a married son, he and his wife show up later and we all have dinner at our house. My wife usually finds some lonely person to join us. After dinner I have to watch A Christmas Story on TV. Now that all our parents are gone, we have no other rounds to make so the rest of the day is pretty boring.

Tomorrow is the annual get together at one of my rail club buddy's homes, before he and his wife climb in their RV and head for warmer climes. Last year it almost didn't happen due to the ice storm, but he got his power back sometime during the night. As we came home from his place we were greeted with lights as we got near our house so we were thrilled about that. Then we got to our street and found our house and about a dozen others on the street were still without power. A tree limb brought a primary wire down onto the transformer that feeds us, destroying it. They replaced the transformer the next day and we had power for the first time in 5 days. Luckily I have a generator so we were able to keep our heat and refrigeration going. It was near zero several nights when the power was out.

New Years Eve has been a zero for us since I quit drinking way back when I was 41 in 1981. So that makes NYE of 1980 or 1981 my last "happy" holiday. If it's 1980 when you get fueled up and 1981 when the girl your wife is going to hate next year, tries to suck your tonsils out. Is that NYE 80 or 81? Woooo, some great memories but I'm glad I don't do that anymore. I don't miss being drunk at all.

I do miss the private parties where a few boobies always escaped from tops that were too tight to hold them in the first place. Usually because their owners set them free to participate in some contest. Mine are bigger than yours. Mine are perkier than yours. Or the frozen nipples contest. But I guess that wouldn't happen if someone wasn't drinking. 8-|

Now I usually fall asleep watching TV and crawl into bed before midnight. :'(

Well for Christmas it has always been a family day. We have a big meal. Usually after lunch we go over at my uncle's and aunt's house where we all sit down and talk, with all the cousins. And it is like this since I remember. :)

A new years eve is something else. Usually I spend it with my friends at some house party. Usually around 50 people the most.

I hope that all of you have a good holidays.

Has any of you ever celebrated Christmas with work colleagues? This was always family time in my family. I really don't remember anybody missing these past couple of years.

I almost did the Christmas I was working for TyCom (Tyco). I was working the swing shift so I couldn't go the big party they had at a conference center, in the evening. But they sent us pictures in the company email, of the first and graveyard shifts having a great time.

At the TV shop where I worked from the age of 12 to 35, the owner's son gave a party one time at his house where he actually acted like we were friends. We had what I later found out was a typical "sibling rivalry" situation (psychiatrists name for it) that occured often in TV shops. Where the owner has a younger guy working as a tech who is his #1 man. The owners son is jealous of him just like sibling rivalry.

I was the only person in the 13 man shop that the son couldn't fire because I was working for his father.

The following year his father became too ill to run the place and the son took over. His Christmas present to himself that year was to fire me, two weeks before Christmas. The fact that when he took over, he found out his father had been paying me about 20% more than he was paying him, probably didn't help.

So it wasn't a good experience. :-)
To me it is more natural to have a party with co workers for New Years eve then for Christmas. I'm not sure, but Christmas is more family holiday.

Just 10 days to go then... You all ready and have Christmas shopping sorted??

I just found out I can buy one more present. My daughter in law needs a blender. That sounds like a nice present for me to get her.

Everything else is wrapped and under the tree. :-D

Nice one njoynlife, very well organised ;-)

I finished early last year, on the 23rd. Looking about the same again, what with all this Uni work I don't get much time any more.

Yeah, that's not like me. I'm usually out scratching around the day before.

It must be you guys that did this to me. You and BB and Bambi and Baby.
Hmmmm, how come all the girls I respect on here begin with a "B"?
OMG I hope I don't have a B fetish or something. 8-|

I found interesting article about alcohol and children. Chief medical adviser Liam Donaldson's recommendation that no young person under the age of 15 should drink at all without giving birth to an anecdotal haemorrhage where cultural stereotypes, generalisations about class and personal experiences blend together to produce a perplexing read.
I would like to hear your opinion on this. I still don't have children, but I think I would probably keep kids away from alcohol as much as I can. :-)

Come on njoy, you know what the "B" stands for with us women folk

Mine is a double "B" oh boy, twice the B***H. :idea: :idea: That's a scarey thought :o