Saturday's long run introduced me to a new experience in running, bloody nipples. At about the 5 or 6 mile mark of my 14 mile run, I looked down to notice a growing bloody spot on the right side of my shirt. I ducked into my house at the 7 mile mark to get some bandaids for the rest of the run and they seemed to work OK.

Anybody have any insight on prevention of this problem?

Body Glide

Don't leave home without it.

I know another runner that has this problem. He uses Nip Guards on his longer runs. They seem to work for him.

Just dispose of them properly so they don't later stick to the wife's foot... :P

Yep, happens every long run. I found that Curads make a small round bandaid that works perfectly and actually stays on for the entire run.

Although, you will miss the strange looks when you finish a run with blood staining the front of your shirt and spectators/neighbors think you are totally nuts!

Yes, yes. I forgot I had them on. They work great! Paul got them for me at a local running store. I have problems even on 3 mile runs. I usually just use some vaseline on the short ones, but nip guards are a must for the long ones.

I've found that a sports bra works pretty well too!

here is another vote for body glide...

i haven't found any band-aids that stay on...I've even had problems with nip guards falling off on hot and humid days...when this happens I just go sans shirt...

---
megawill

I was just reading about this today on an ultrarunner's site, and the majority of guys voted for clear medical tape, sometimes sold under the name Micropore or Transpore. You can get the stuff at any drugstore. Supposedly it stays on better than Bandaids, which I understand fall off as you sweat a lot. My roomie tried it today as he has the same problem, anything over 3 and he's chafing...and he had no complaints.

Vaseline has always worked for me.

Never had a problem with the little round bandaids. Cheaper the better work just as well as the expensive nipguards for me. They have stayed with me every run, including the 26.2 mile jaunts.

I have only had this happen on long runs over 10 miles when I wasn't wearing a soft singlet. If I do a long run in a t-shirt, big difference.

However, If I am wearing a singlet. 20 miles, 26 miles, no nip probs here!

Cheapest solution: Just run shirtless!

Since I have started using body glide, never have the nip problem, buy it in bulk it is great stuff!!!

Me-never had the problem.