Hi, I am in my late twenties. Ever since the elementary school, I was devoted to books. Sports were not my primary choice. Anyway, the school has finished long ago and I have some spare time now. I want to make up for what I have lost by not being more physically involved. I am thinking of starting martial art. Do you have any word of wisdom for me?

Hi, I can see that you have sacrificed physical activity for the benefits of education. It pleases me to hear that you are aware of it. Also it is great that you trying to do something about it. Believe me when I say that martial art is the thing that can really get you on the move. By training it, you will have a multiple practice. Workout is the thing that should concern you the most. Also you will develop better coordination, stamina and endurance. I have been training karate for two years now. There are nothing but good things I could tell you about it. So, as you can see, the only words of wisdom that I can share with you when it comes to martial art are: "GO FOR IT!"

I'm so happy that you're interested in martial arts! I've also been practicing karate for about 11 years now and I think that it has helped me in my mental/physical health and development. While its great that you're interested in getting involved with sports I think that one of the most important things is knowing your body's limits and how hard you can push yourself while exercising. The more and more I try different workouts I find that simply walking for long distances is the best when it comes to losing weight & keeping my heart healthy. Best of luck with everything--just try out bunch of different things and see what fits best!

karate is a good sport i have done it for 4 years and i'm blue belt i take my time know every thing my instructor said to me once "karate is like boiling let it go cold and its not nice in coffee keep it warm it's better" if you understand it

Hi Scot,

I've been practicing martial arts for about 15 years now. I recently came across this article that I found interesting. It's called "What is a Martial Art?".

shaolin.org/general/martial-art.htm
I hope you find it useful.

Fran