Hi, I am a twenty three years old woman. I live in a city that is highly populated. It is known that there are a lot of criminals that live in it. My friend was mugged a couple of days ago. This is something that I will not let happen to me. Both my friend and I are eager to learn how to defend ourselves. Can you help us with self defense?

Hi, it is awful what has happened to your friend. Unfortunately, there are a lot of such cases. The worst thing is that the number of these crimes rises. The thing that you can do in order to help yourself is the one you are planning. I too am learning about self defense. I will tell you about my experience in this field. Self defense is an action that we do in order to prevent someone from hurting us or causing damage to our property. Normally, you can best defend yourself by learning some kind of martial art. My trainer suggested that I start training so called "soft" types of martial arts. Apparently, we, the women, can easily implement this type of martial art in self defense. Such are judo, aikido, wen-do and others. I went for aikido. Now, I am convinced that I can take on a bigger opponent-man.