As you guys know, our dog died suddenly in December. We knew at some point we'd want another dog, and we are definitely moving in that direction. It's funny how quiet the house can seem (even with baby and cat) without a pooch running around and we miss that.

Our dog was a Brittany, and we loved him to death. But we also had some issues with him. He was very high energy, and especially when he didn't get enough exercise (our fault). He was a handful, but a sweet, loving and great dog. We aren't sure about if we want another Britt though--they are loving, fun, a nice size, beautiful, and don't shed. All pluses. But we just aren't sure about getting another....for the energy issues as well as "comparing" a new dog to Charlie.

We are thinking about getting a Springer Spaniel. They seem similar to Brittany's but not quite as big. Hopefully not big enough to counter surf (a big problem we had with Charlie). But I think they may shed more which would be a minus.

Anyway, does anyone have a Springer? Can you give me some info? Do you like having one? Would you get one again??

Anyone have any other good breed suggestions???? We just cannot think of another kind to get. We love the medium size because they are big enough to run with you, but not overly huge. Shedding is a big issue with us, so I'd never get a lab or similar haired dog. We'd think about a Golden, but they are a bit bigger than we'd want. We just are pretty picky and wondering what pooch would be a good fit.

Thanks for any suggestions/info! :wavey:

What's a springer spaniel???

Above is jena in rare sleeping form. she is almost six years old and wieghs in at about 42lbs. I love the breed. I had wanted to get a pointing dog as my next dog (I was looking at English setters) but after having her in my life, I will get another springer. She is a very well behaved dog. she is a quick learner and very eager to please. I have known a few other springers as well and they seem to be the same way. A lot of people will come and talk to me about her. If they had a springer they just praise the breed.

A friend of mine has an American Springer, Jena is an English Springer, I don't seem to care for the American breed as much. He seems to be a little high strung, and from what people tell me that is the case with a lot of the American Springers.

Jena is a timid dog but does very well with kids. As long as they are not strange kids storming down on her to pull her tale. (she has limits you know. )

Here is a like to Jena doing her favorite past time. she loves the water and I think has some gills hidden behind those ears.

I grew up with a SS, her name was Shasta. I loved that dog!! Got her when I was 8, she was a brand new puppy, she had to be put down when I was 20. Long life, and just the best disposition ever.

Ok, so she ruined easter one year when she found all the eggs for us! but was the best dog in every other way. Good around kids, let the boys rough her up and was always good natured. Also let me dress her up in my doll clothes when she was little. :) I highly recommend the breed.

my sister has springers......big time shedders!!!!! active, but not obnoxious, pretty smart.

How about border collie....they are suppose to be very bright. We were looking at shelties and decided way too timid and quiet for us. We had an Australian Shepherd (lots of work) and they are extremely intelligent but can be obnoxiously energetic and territorial...the upside is they are very protective and mine actually herded the kids in the driveway...if they started going towards the road she'd block their way and make them change their path.

My son's been talking to his "kitty" too much.....we need a dog! (kitty's a stuffed feline)

I have Jena groom so I don't have to deal with the long hair, that really helps a lot!

labradoodle*

*I don't have one or know anybody that does, but aren't they cute. We are a house full of mutts. :pinklove:

If shedding is too big a minus, stay away from shetland sheepdogs. Shelties definitely shed. But I'm so happy with our sheltie that I overlook it. I groom her and it helps reduce the stray hair.

Affectionate with family. And smart, very smart. I'm so taken with her that I can't see getting another breed. Good size, too.

my sister has springers......big time shedders!!!!! active, but not obnoxious, pretty smart. How about border collie....they are suppose to be very bright. We were looking at shelties and decided way too timid and quiet for us. We had an Australian Shepherd (lots of work) and they are extremely intelligent but can be obnoxiously energetic and territorial...the upside is they are very protective and mine actually herded the kids in the driveway...if they started going towards the road she'd block their way and make them change their path. My son's been talking to his "kitty" too much.....we need a dog! (kitty's a stuffed feline)
I got a border collie for my 8th birthday. I had to have him put down when I was in my first year of law school. I am an only child, and I felt like I'd lost my brother. They're awesome dogs. They're energetic, loyal, and exceptionally smart. I'd wager that as a breed they're smarter than many people you might meet. Of the four people I know who've had one, all have said they're great with kids. I'm not familiar with springers, but my impression is that a border collie is smaller. I don't think you could go wrong with one.

oh, one of my childhood friends had one, a springer, and she was such a sweetheart. and beautiful too. so well behaved. that could have been her training, though.

my previous neighbor has shelties. what sweet dogs. whenever i took juliet sledding, they would chase us down the hill with juliet and her friends screaming and laughing (we invited them along...otherwise they just hang out in my neighbor's yard...without the electric fence...they're that well behaved).

i have a beagle. naughtiest dog i've ever met. i love her, but unless you have a lot of land for it to run on i just wouldn't recommend one.

Shelly

Annie loves the snow. Her problem? She's small for the breed and 6" of snow is tough on her. With their double coat, shelties can tolerate the cold. Annie's been known to just lie down in the snow.
Great breed for training...easily done, too.
Mike, Ambassador for Sheltieville

Two things I recommend:

Pick up a good, recent dog book which discusses all breeds. A good book will tell you if a dog is a shedder, high/low energy, size when fully grown, if they are good with kids, and other similar info. This way you can compare the pros and cons of different breeds.

The other:

Visit It's like a clearinghouse for pets--it has purebred rescues, local pounds, and other shelters in and around your community.

Good luck!

don't get a beagle, unless you want your dog running off to smell things all the time.

Other than that...their temperment is fine, and they are great with kids, and don't shed much...

but boy, oh boy, those noses.

With a beagle's nose, everything needs to be sniffed...anywhere, anytime.

You should see ours make his way around the living room. I swear he covers every inch of the place twice in an hour.

Coach! did you ever get through training yours? mine has her nose on the ground all the time, so regardless of dog training she is always too distracted to follow my commands. and if there's a rabbit around, forget anything i've taught her. she goes dog bonkers.