There is a little dog at the SPCA right now that his owner dropped off on the weekend. He is 15 years old! I think it's so wrong for him to have to spend his last days in an outdoor cage surrounded by manic barking dogs. I am thinking of adopting him, although I had no plans for another dog. At least he could live out his golden years in a home where people loved him What to do? :shrug:

asking the wrong person here -- suffice to say i think it is a shame that doggie is so old and was dumped. did the owner die??? i used to visit the shelter all the time but find it too sad to even go for visits now :( i wanted to take them all home..

If you can afford another dog, if your other pets won't freak out, and if you will be able to handle The End which will no doubt come in the next couple of years, definitely do it. Particularly because older dogs have such a slim chance of adoption v. puppies.

What a kind person you are!

That is one of the meanest things I've heard in a while. If you have room AND can afford to take him, that is a wonderful thing. If you don't have the room and resources you shouldn't feel bad about it.

The original owners shouldn't be allowed to have another pet, IMO.

I second what everyone else said - if you really are able to take him, do it. BUT, be prepared for what comes with a having a senior dog ( bladder control can be a problem) and that he may be a long living dog and that he'll be around for a while. He must be in pretty good shape or the shelter wouldn't adopt him out. Good for you for even considering it.

Bladder control isn't really an issue for me with my three year old dog (she's a anger peer- you go out and leave her for more than an hour, you come home to a puddle) so I think I can deal with that. I just have to make sure he hasn't eaten any children in his lifetime. He's pretty small, I think they could beat him off

The owners may not be able to care for their dog anymore. Elderly people run into this problem, especially when they have no other family, or the family will not take it. You are jumping to conclusions!

Perhaps I am. But then don't take a dog in the first place. If they ARE older or there was a death in the family; then they won't be adopting another pet regardless so it is a non-issue.
I just get sick of seeing people dump animals once they no longer fit their needs.

Oh man, serious blond moment....

runswithscissors, I was going to ask what your little avatar running man was carrying!

There was a lady in there on the weekend in tears about the same time the dog showed up. She was middle aged. Maybe it was a parents' dog, who knows? Personally, I think euthanasia would have been a kinder end than going to the shelter. Which is why Rags Must Come Home With Me And Not Be At the Shelter One Minute Longer

Sorry, Kristen, I didn't mean to sound harsh. Just throwing in my 2 cents.

Shannon, you are truly special to do this. Good luck!

Hmmm...perhaps this is why shelf keeps peeing on the server. PH, you really should take him along on those Taco Bell excursions!

I've addressed the server-wetting issues. We have waterproofed the server and there will be no more problems, G

Shannon, What a great gesture! I'm with everyone else here. Give it a nice home for its final years!

Well, I went to fill out a form and he's already been adopted! happy endings all 'round!

For THAT! I award thee:

Shannon, that is great news. I am sure is very happy in his new home!

Randy, I didn't mean to sound overly judgmental, but after having seen people dump animals at a local dog park (literally, just dump them and run) and having tried to keep one of the aforementioned dogs temporarily with no luck due to space issues I pretty much have a lot less trust in people than in animals. Thank god for no-kill shelters.