Our dog is the sweetest thing. He's a great pooch and we love him, but he's got some bad habits I don't know how to fix and it's driving me crazy!!!! He's a 5 year old Brittany, and look at this face...it's not like he MEANS to be bad....he just can't help it!

How do we train him to not do his little bad things???? He loves to put him front paws up on the kitchen counter and get whatever is up there. Obviously we usually won't keep stuff out because of him, but if the dishes aren't done yet or something he gets up there and starts scamming for food.

He also has this new habit of chewing up the toilet paper on the roll in the downstairs bathroom. So we try to keep the door shut, but of course sometimes you forget and go in there and the TP is just shredded and everywhere!!!!

Related to that this morning he had the box of Kleenex from beside my bed on the floor tearing it to pieces (what's the obsession with eating paper!!!!) (he'll try to get whatever is up there, chapstick was the victim last week)

I love him to death, but little things like this are driving me batty!!!

Anyone have any good tips on dog training??? Please help!!!!

When I was a young lass living on my own I decided what does any household need? A dog!! So I went out and got the cutest puppy I've ever seen. Proud of my new purchase I call my mom. Hey mom guess what I got?! A Puppy!! Mom says: oh my god you just ruined your life. At the time I thought it was pretty fubby, but 6 years of c**p in the hall, chewed up tp, chewed up toys, I realize she was totally correct.

aw akern, so no love for your pooch?

Ours isn't bad all around, just has some bad habits. But he's a good sweet dog and I love having him.

Come on, no one has any good training advice?????

I just let my friends get dogs and then we can enjoy the when we visit! How's that?

No I love my dog! She is just a pain, and I love her so much I can't get rid of her. She is very sweet and loving and is great with kids. There are just some habits of hers that will never be broken. I think she only does something bad when she is angry at us because it's not a constant problem with these things. When she was a puppy I got a book about training dogs. It helped a little bit. For the chewing they make some kind of spray that is supposed to taste bad to a dog. You might not want to wipe with that roll tho!! Maybe set him up with a dummy roll a few times to break the habit. As for the counter. A few swift beatings. Our dog has a bed in the laundry room. If she's been bad she gets a smack on the rump and sent to bed.
What is it with the kleenex?? Our dog does it and I just can't see the fun in it. :shrug:

No, I love Joel! He is just a pain, and I love him so much I can't get rid of him. He is very sweet and loving and is great with kids. There are just some habits of his that will never be broken. I think he only does something bad when he is angry at me because it's not a constant problem with these things. When he was a younger I got a book about boyfriend training. It helped a little bit. For the chewing they make some kind of spray that is supposed to taste bad to a guy. You might not want to wipe with that roll tho!! Maybe set him up with a dummy roll a few times to break the habit. As for the counter. A few swift beatings. Joel has a bed in the laundry room. If he's been bad he gets a smack on the rump and sent to bed. What is it with the kleenex?? Joel does it and I just can't see the fun in it. :shrug:
Go ahead and let it all out Akern! ;)

"How to train the perfect puppy", I think that was the name of the book. Really good. Anyway, it does take alot of concentration to crackdown on the dog for everything. For instance, we didn't want our dog to be "a barker". So whenever she'd start in yapping (she was outside at the time), we throw open the window, point right at her and through gritted teeth say "NO". When she'd chew something, same thing, grab her muzzle, pointed finger thumping between the eyes, "NO". This was intermixed with lots of positive training. We used the "treat-everytime" method. I carried bits of cheese in my pockets for months. When we called her and she came..treat. Tell her to sit and she did..treat. Tell her to stay and she did..treat.

I wanted so badly to have a well trained dog, I even read about some wolfpack type behavior to really show my dominance and be sure the dog understood their place in "the pack" of our family (jumping up is a sign the dog doesn't know they are 'bottom rung' by the way). A couple things I did may seem crazy, but I swear they worked. One was the "take down". When my dog seemed to be push the line when she was in the house. I literally would tackle her and pin her down for a good 30 seconds. This might be followed with some positive reward training. But I really think the take downs worked. Another thing I did was to occasionally pee on our trees. Okay, okay, it just ain't right. I'd wait until after dark, so the neighbors didn't see. But really, wolfpacks use the height of a pee scent as a sign of how dominant a wolf is. If I can pee higher than any other dog around, that triggers something in a dog's head that I'm one very dominant pack leader.

Something else I found helpful was a type of muzzle-leash my vet recommended. It was simply a loop over their muzzle and around the back of their head with a clasp below the chin to fasten the leash to. When out on a walk and if she'd pull the leash, being attached to her chin, she'd just twist her own head. It was so nice to walk without having her gag herself on a normal collar and lead.

..you had to ask :o We ended up with a wonderfully behaved dog

Go ahead and let it all out Akern! ;)
I'm gonna git you MR!!

a big stick

works well
and a stern voice too

Loud voice and a soda can filled with a few pennies. Very loud. Sacares the begeezes out of the dog.

By the way, As much as I love my dogs, once these two are gone, NO MORE! I don't have a back yard, so I miust walk them every morning and night. Fur everywhere, not to mention they get sick, have accidents, et al.

Dogs are like toddlers that never grow up!

Big Ol 1 on that!!

A stern voice and then gets sent sent to "jail" (small bathroom) She HATES that because then she doesn't know what's going on in the rest of the house.

Mine chews paper occasionally too. I don't get it. That spray is called Grennick's Bitter Apple. My dad had to use it for his dog (after it ate a coffee table and part of a couch).

I think I am lucky. Sierra is usually pretty good, EXCEPT when other people encourage her to jump on them after I have spent days training her to not jump up. That pisses me right off.