Is is better not to use the larger chain ring while riding, when preparing to do a brick?

Depends on the terrain and your abilities.

I wouldn't mash up a mountain and expect to be able to run well, but if I were riding on flat terrain, I wouldn't hesitate to ride in the big ring.

Yeah, I learned this the hard way. :|

Well, it's pretty much flat here. I've been happy with the rides I've taken, but wonder if I expend too much in my legs to run later on?

A lot of that will be trial and error. Everybody is different.

My rides are pretty hilly but I'd still like to improve on the bike. And I still haven't went clipless or what the h ever they are called. It's more challanging to ride then run right after for me but I do better than if I ride then run later. :? Usually.

It'll depend on your strategy too. If you're looking to peak in the run, you'll want to hold back a bit on the bike. If you're like Al-Sultan or Sindballe, you go like hell in the ride and keep steady in the run.

Personally, I mix it up. One brick will have a hard ride and a "try-to-survive" run, the next will have an easier ride and a faster run.

And JU, take the loafers off and get some real biking shoes!!! :coach:

:1:
I'm going to have to work on it as time goes on. Right now I'm just getting into the cycling part of it and enjoying it.
I'm sure it'll all come together as I train more.

:1:
Yes, it will. And you'll have a blast doing it. I love it, I crave it. But I'm weird like that. :o But I think you are too. 8) Too bad we live so far apart. :(

I have the same drive and motivation as you, I'm sure. 8)
It would be nice if we lived closer to train together. You don't know how lonely the runs I do and rides I take can be. :(