Ever since I started having periods I've been irregular. I usually only have between 2 to 4 periods a year. When I finally got the nerve to ask my doctor about it she said it was because I am over weight. I haven't always been overweight, but I've ALWAYS been irregular. She had me take Provera to regulate it. I had my period shortly after that, but its been about 6 months and I have not gotten another one. I do have other systems that make me believe that I might have a hormanal imbalace (gaining weight, fuzzy thinking, low sex drive, etc...) but I'm only 26. Is it possible at this age to have a hormonal imbalance? I've talked to many woman but no one seems to know what might be wrong with me. Has anyone else been through this?

Think of this.. After women ovulate they will have a period in about 14 days. Pretty much all women will have a period 14 days after ovulation, but the time in between a period and the next ovulation differs.

Basically You are not ovulating properly, this is most likely a cause.
PCOS, polycystic ovarian syndrome is a major cause of this. Being overweight increases your risk of PCOS. EVEN 10 pounds overweight is unhealthy enough to trigger problems.

DO you see a regular doctor or a GYN? You should see a GYN.

While being overweight can be a "cause" it can also be a symptom. If your doctor is not willing to investigate things, see a new one. Some things such as Ovarian Cysts can cause the lack of periods. Thyroid issues can cause the same thing (have Free T4, Free T3, and TSH levels done for blood work)... both can cause women to gain weight.

Well I am overweight but I have regular periods.

My best friend was overweight. When she was a teenager, she gained alot of weight fast. The doctors thought it may have been Crohn's or something like that. Then after lots of testing, they found out that she has a hormonal imbalance. She has 5 times the normal level of testorone for a woman. That explains the weight gain and the abnormal amount of hair (especially under her chin). She also had cysts on her ovaries which may cause irregular periods. She was also prescribed BC pills so that she would be regular.

hey. i'm 14 and haven't started yet. My mom started when she was 12. but she told me she didn't have regular periods intill after she had her first kid(me.lol) and sometimes taking birth control pills help.my friend had to take them to regulate her period. i hope that kinda helped.