I am a 25 year old male and lately I've been experiencing sharp pains in my anus. I've had these same pains before, but they would usually only last a second or two and not come back for several weeks.

This time, I have been experiencing the sharp pains for three full days now. It comes in waves whenever I have gas build-up or I'm in need of a bowel movement. I also am getting a slightly less intense version of the pain when I urinate.

This is causing me extreme discomfort and I'm worried. I'd rather not go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to.

What could this be?

Any help would be much appreciated.

OMG!!!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD WITH THAT ISSUE. I WASNT ABOUT TO GO TO THE DOC ABOUT IT. IT ONLY HAPPENS TO ME AFTER I'VE FALLEN ASLEEP AT NITE. IT WAKES ME UP IN EXTREME PAIN...I CALL IT A SPASM...THATS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE, WITH THE COMING AND GOING. WHAT I DO....IS GET ON ALL FOURS...WITH MY REAR IN THE AIR...AND PUSH MY REAREND OUT AS FAR AS I CAN...AS TO STRETCH THE MUSCLE. IT ALWAYS SEEMS TO WORK. ALSO, I TAKE A PILL FOR SPASMS IN MY STOMACH...I TAKE ONE OF THOSE...WITHIN 20 MIN. OR SO...IT STOPS. SOMETIMES TAGAMET WORKS...IT RELAXES THE STOMACH MUSCLES TOO...SO, I ASSUME THE REASON IT WORKS...FOR THE ANUS...IT RELAXES THAT TOO. I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL...AND YES....IT IS SO PAINFUL...

This has happened to me, but not in a long time. I too would wake up with it and it would intensify, lasting for an hour or so. The pain is so intense I am rendered incapacitated. I exprienced it during the day a few times, but mostly at night. Since then, I have made some changes for the good in my diet, which I think could have something to do with it.

Hi there. I have the same issue! Since I was a child I always had problems being regular. I would feel a sharp pain up into my anus now & then growing up but thought nothing of it until 2 years ago. It just hit me out of nowhere and I was in so much pain I couldn't move. It was like a long knife was shot up my butt! I was rushed to the hospital and they did all kinds of tests. First they thought it could be my appendix rupturing because that's what it feels like as well but it wasn't. It ended up that I have what is called 'Diverticulitis'.
I read all the data online & it sure is true that if I don't eat right or get enough fibre & bran I am in agony for a few days. I have always been constipated (lol) and always pushed & pushed but in doing that all my life it created pockets in my bowel called 'polyps' or 'sacs'. They are sacs that have been 'popped' out through the lining of the bowel from the pushing which get filled with the hard particles in our stool. Thus, they become inflamed and very sore. If it isn't watched carefully (ie. diet, NO pushing!) then I read it can further turn into 'Diverticulosis' in which a part of the bowel is surgically removed...YIKES!!! I sure in hell don't want that! Also, stress is a big part as well. I was in a high stress job at the time which also gave me other health issues. Anyways.....since then I have left that stressful job and make sure that I at least eat a bran muffin every day. For me that seems to work and all is calm with no pain. There are lots of other foods to eat as well but you can read about it online. It is a very common issue. I also learned to stay away from nuts/popcorn..things that don't digest completely in your system that can make your stool sharp or hard and get caught in the sacs.
I sure hope this helps you guys. Look into it....don't wait because it may get worse. Just go to the Doc. They deal with this all the time no matter how embarrassing it is.

i didnt know this was such a common thing, but i get these same sharp pains. they last for literally a couple seconds, come without warning. during this moment i have to completely stop moving and talking and its kind of embarassing because nobody understands why i seem temporarily immobilized and perfectly fine the next moment. ive noticed a couple key factors: after i eat a lot of bread. at lunch sometimes i will grab a loaf of french bread and eat almost the whole thing. within a half hour to couple hours after it happens at least once.

if i drink a larger amount of coffee than usual quickly, shortly after it happens.
fully rested or sleep deprived, considering a fairly good diet otherwise...
though, lots of stress in my life as well but considering the timings it doesnt seem to have an effect.

so yea, coffee (i use cream and sugar) and bread.
what do u say to someone after a complete pause, looking like your about to have a heart attack and then jumpin back into life?
is there something im lacking in my diet that i dont know about?

hey i have the same issue, i think alot of poeple do. after reading this page, i don't believe it's anything to be worrying about :) like previously mentioned, "spasms" seems like a good term to use for this particular thing. 

You guys should really try a probiotic. Basically it's the "good" bacteria that live in your intestine. They really help regulate your digestive tract.

Wow... I get this as one of  the user above me described. Only after I eat lots of bread and drink juice. French bread also. I just got that pain, but thought I was crazy to think that eating bread had a part to play since all the time it happens, is after I eat this local bread.

I have this same issue, Literally pausing for the few seconds of this pain until it stops..I get this pain a lot when i drink coffee ...i love coffee lol...I have come to the conclusion that This pain is from a build up of fecal matter ..if you notice everytime you get the pain you have to go to the bathroom within the hour ..i think it has to do with constipation ...anyway maybe some pepto bismal would be a good idea.. :)

Whoever said don't eat popcorn or any other sharp undigestable matter is absolutely right. Popcorn brings on the sharp pains the next day EVERY time without fail.

Well Im back looking for answers. I have had these pains once in a blue moon growing up. Up until recently in this last month, I started getting heavier symptoms. I also eat lotsa bread & drink coffee everyday. 1 or two cups maybe. This morning the pain crippled me onto the floor. I woke up crawled outta bed and headed to make coffee.

I have noticed I can feel it when my bowels turn. Thinking of making coffee or even the smell of it in the morning gets my guts turning. So whatever muscle it is,  I call it the " sh!t trigger " There is something wrong!! It literally put me on the floor. I laid there for a few seconds until it passed. I immediatly went to go make a movment. I have always pushed too LoL. Not intsense pushing ... but a little push to get things moving ya know? I have no problem making a movment. It looks brown and healthy, not diareah, not little rabbit pebbles. Just regular ol healthy coils lol. I havnt seen any blood either.

After reading this little forum. Im now leaning towards these pockets. I went to the doctor last week & she basically figured i had an STD. I told her Ive been in the same healthy relationship for 7 years & we have a honest relationship. I  also researched STD symptoms & i didnt have any of the burning pee or discharge symtoms or pain when urinating. My Junk is fine, Testicles and all is fine. I felt my doctor didnt take me serious. She didnt even poke around for inflamation or anything just nodded her head and told me to go get pee samples done.

I can really feel the pain too on the left side of my lower abdomin & back. But when i make coffee Its a totally different pain inside.

Scary stuff im only 28 WTF!!

The problem mentioned here is similar to rectal pain. This pain is concentrated around mucosa the mucous lining inside the 1 1/2 inch rectum. The pain is usually concentrated around the mucous glands on either side. It increases in intensity and occurs at increasingly shorter intervals. These intervals are spread throughout the teen and adult life. Little children may not understand what is happening and just cry holding their butt. For immediate relief, sit in a large hot water tub and gently massage bidirectionally at the anus. Avoid sitting postures for long hours. And drink plenty of water to pass stool smoothly. You can also take the medicine the doctor advices. More information can be found by searching for "Rectal Pain".

I am very relieved to read all of these responses for this topic. A bit embarrassing to even Google! I have noticed that it has been sometime since I have had this pain and I realized that I have changed my diet for the worse. I switched from Diet Coke to Diet Dr. Pepper and noticed that my bowel movements are not regular at all now that I've read all of the postings.

As I type, sitting at my desk at work, it hit me like a ton of bricks and I cannot do anything but slow movements because the pain is so sharp. I even went to the restroom twice this morning. I must be constipated from the diet drinks.

Thank you to everyone for posting your stories. This has helped me greatly and I will change my nutritional habits effective immediately!

I had the same problem, I was so terrified because it used to last even after 2-3 hours of after I go to washrooom. I ried reading all post on internet, and just did some thing which helped me to cure this completely.
1. Eat apple and cereals once you wake up in the morning.
2. stop eating meat-chicken/beaf etc. I quit eggs too. ( I was vegen for last 25 years and had started eating eggs, chicken just recently, so my body was not used to eggs.)
3. Excercise everyday especially runnning or cyclling. This wil make wonders within 2-3 days.
4. Quit drinking whisky, vodka (beer is ok, but not more than 3)for 1 month.
i FOLOWED ALL THIS AND MINE GOT CURED IN A 3-4 DAYS..
I hope this will work for you AS WELL

hi there all, like many of you on here i also get alot of anus sharp pains and am glad im not the only one!, it really does stop you in your tracks and is very very painful at times i also have ibs which doesnt help