Hi, I have seventeen years old son. Some older children in the neighborhood are training in the gym. They are really built up. It seams that my son looks up to them. Now he wants to start training as well. I heard that this can be bad for children his age. What do you have to say about heavy weights for a teenager?

Hi, first of all there must be a line made between heavy weights lifting from a regular training in the gym. You should ask your son what he is actually interested in. If the training is all that he wants to do, then there is nothing dangerous about that. In fact, he can only benefit from it. As for heavy lifting, there are different believes. Some think that it can, if applied by teenagers such as your son, cause bones to grow slowly or stop their development permanently. However, this has not been proven scientifically. Anyway, you should ask a professional trainer to make a workout program just for your son. This way you will be certain that your son is doing the right thing without the risk of getting hurt or even worse.