So i've given up smoking 1 year and 2 months ago... and nothing has gotten better. It started as a bit of weight gain... so i cut my food intake and exercize for over an hour a day... i still gain.

Then the gas and bloating set it. I've not gone #2 without a laxative help since i've quit smoking.

I suffer from allergies now which i never had before. From those allergies, i get severe ear infections with vertigo. I'm tired and sick of all this.

I have a problem with numb limbs which I did have before (think a side effect from the pill), but it's untollerable now! And I get headaches which I never had before.

I quit smoking to be healthy!!! Now i'm a walking zombie with sever lack of confidence cause I feel my body doesn't work anymore.

maybe I will live 5 more years of my life if i'm a non-smoker... but what's the point if the quality of my life is severly destroyed by my failing health???

I smoked for 25 years... then quit for 14 months... I dont' crave cigirets. I just don't enjoy how my body has behaved without them. It can't be detox and all that rubbish people claim it is... you don't detox for a bloody year.

Any thoughts???

Hi santolla, it sounds like we quit at about the same time. I too have been gaining inappropriately and suffer from constipation and allergies and other stuff since then. In my case I suspect my thyroid and plan to order a panel soon. Apparently it is common for a hypothyroidism diagnosis to follow smoking cessation. Your symptoms sound very similar to mine; have you considered having your thyroid assessed?

I cannot believe it. I quit 2 and 1/2 years ago. I have not craved a smoke even once and my health has gone down hill. I just decided this week to have a blood test and thyroid check. On a whim I said tonight at work that I do not feel any better after quiting and feel much worse and have some of the same symptoms mentioned here. My quality of life has gone down the tubes. I am only 48 and people who do not know honestly think I am 20 years older because of the obvious difficulty that I suffer every day since I quit. I have seen my doctor only twice in 4 years , so I do not go often. For me to decide to go is a big thing. I had no idea that others were feeling the same things. I bought a pack on the way home and smoked one when I got home. I did not burst into flames and the world did not end.. not yet anyway. I am just stunned to think that this is possible . Wow.

Same problem, I did have my thyroid checked also and that was not the problem. Did you take Chantix to quit? Let us know if you find a solution other than starting smoking again. It was to hard to quit the first time, I don't want to do that again.

All I can say is that I have gone through the same stuff. I feel like my life has turned upside down since I quit. I have been physically ill since i stopped smoking. My breathing has gotten bad(it never was) My allergies are crazy now, I have horrible bouts of low blood sugar attacks, legs horrible swollen with water retention. My Vit D, b12 and protein had become non existent, yet I have gained almost 40lbs . I have never felt so sick in all my life. Does anyone else feel this way??? Please let me know... Rita

You have 2 choices:
You continue to suffer for the rest of your life or you google nutritional rebalancing.
There's no magic pill but people just don't get it...

You don't detox because your liver is probably sluggish and messed up.I wouldn't rely on ordinary doctors but on 
someone who is keen on helping you.Find a specialist.Get your vitamin and mineral levels checked.
I know what I'm talking about.Got diagnosed with gut disbiosis and I'm not absorping the nutritients from food.It's a miracle that I'm still alive and have to suffer at such a young age.I'm low on magnesium,calcium,vitamin B-s and everything.This made me suffer such a severe withdrawal after quitting smoking that 99% of people who quit don't even come close to experience such a horrible withdrawal for a single day not to mention 5 months.You need to heal your GI tract.You will thank me one day.
When you have fixed all the above then you can start exercising and speed up the detox with things like sauna or sun bathing.

Have a nice life!

I quit smoking in 1984 age 40 and have been sick, sick and sicker ever since: weight gain, menopause, candida systemic, ruined digestion, severe severe chills, hypothyroid, hypoglycemic, diabetes, binge eating, migraines, vertigo, suicidal depressions, plantar fasciitis, etc. etc. etc. I've tried many drugs, antidepressants, bioidentical hormones, etc. but am not improved by any of them. A doctor recently suggested I try Nicotine Gum to see if I can get improved dopamine, etc. A dental specialist I saw last week said she and her sister were both ill for years after quitting (she went back to 7 a day, hand rolled). Anyone tried Nicotine or other to get better?

Well you can always start again and add those unhealthy lethargic feelings to your lists or maybe find someting else to blame. Nothing happens when you quit smoking, life just goes on, you just dont smell as bad as you did

That was not a helpful reply Jock12!

Same here. Stopped smoking 13 months ago. Feel like c**p. Problems concentrating, mood swings, episodes of anxiety, shortness of breath, fears. My self esteem is not existent. Constant brain fog - when the hell will it stop?

I am tired....

this is the hardest thing i've ever had to do,, but after 8 months, i'm slowly winning. I realise i'm addicted to smoking and the chemicals that come with that addiction. Don't give up giving up please. I feel tired & depressed but am gradually gaining confidence and a feeling of self control. I have smoked from the age of 15, so my life is in turmoil. Taste has changed. I can smell like a bloodhound. I don't sleep too well. I feel like i've lost a friend, but after 37 years of smoking,, I am, at last taking control of my life. I can't ever smoke again. I know myself too well. Good luck & best wishes to all of you who have managed to stop.

Hi, I gave up 9 months ago after over 30 year's smoking 25 of those smoking at least 30 a day, I was fit and healthy, now I'm so ill all the time, Mainly digestive problems like swelling , cramps, wind, extreme pain in colon area, permanent mild cold/ flu symptoms lethargy constantly tired but can't sleep have been to doc's had tests for just about everything and all clear, I don't want to smoke again but I can't go on like this for very much longer, the funny thing about all this is that I had to have a full medical and was told I was in great shape and health so I decided to stop smoking as I had got away with it for all those years and now I'm f****d

I'm in the same boat ... I stopped smoking feb 2012 after smoking for 25+yearsI feel so awful, weight gain, breathlessness, chest pains, lethargic, constipation, bleeding gums ... I have never felt so ill when I smoked .. I can't afford to start again, I don't even want to but I don't know how to feel well again 

Hi Santolla! Start eating oatmeal every morning and put some raisins in it and I assure you , you will go to the restroom . Don't go back to smoking , you will get through this. Smoking for 25 years can put alot on your body. Have you gone to get a physical? Blood tests can say so much about a human body. Do you take vitamins? It is so important. I started taking magnesium 500 ml for leg cramps, and they went away. My doctor recommended them to me. You also need 500 ml calcium for your bones. and centrum 50 if you are over 50 years old . Stay away from white bread and switch to wheat. Start a healthy regimen and stick to it, but get that physical. Low potassium, low iron , you just never know what could be causing your headaches. Check yourself out and start from there. YOUR BODY IS YOUR TEMPLE. .

I think what messed with me was blood sugar levels. Smoking messes with this. After I started eating "like a diabetic", things started to get better. I try to eat a low GI diet. I eat smaller portions less often. Snack on nuts etc. Was sick of feeling sick....but after a few weeks of this it settled down.