52 not 5 years ol

HI there, I am seriously considering this surgery ..just wondering if anything special was talked about or performed in your surgery to avoid the RETROGRADE Ejaculation..also how old are you & are you in pretty good shape...?? I think personal health has a lot to do with it..

any info much appreciated

Earle

I had the procedure 3 years ago when I was 72yo. Because so much of the prostate enlarged into the bladder opening, the operation removed the valve as well as prostate inclusion.
While I do miss the feeling of a large ejaculation, I could not go on living as I did prior to the surgery. Otherwise, everything is is OK and I would do it over again if I were in the same situation.

Hey Faith, I think I may be in the same headspace as your partner...just wondering how things turned out...did he go thru with it...did you get any info to help him out... I`m scheduled for surgery in a few weeks..so any info much appreciated.

Earle

This is useful. Exactly what I'm going through one week after TURP. Haven't reached the sex part as I still have a long way to go to recovery

Hello All...

I just had TURP surgery 6 days ago with a catheter in for 5 days following the surgery.    Just had it taken out yesterday.

The doctor filled my bladder with liquid to see what I would void and I found the urinating to be rather difficult... I had to push quite hard to get all of it out.   There was only about 20 left (ml?) so he was happy about that.

However, in the following 24 hours I've noticed I still have to push VERY hard to urinate and it generally doesn't quite feel like I'm voiding completely.   In fact on the follow up visit this morning, the doctor asked me to pee and then he measured only to find 200ml left... not nearly as good.   

The doctor said to just let time go by to see how things play out...  everyone reacts differently.   I was hoping to pee quite freely but don't know how long it might take for this..

Have many of you having the TURP started out a bit disappointed but then later finally started to be effective?   So far, even though it's only been 24 hours, I was expecting a quicker easier flow, but maybe it just normally takes longer?   Thanks for any and all input

Patrick

I had my catheter out next day and left hospital. Peed some clots over the next week or so and then normalcy.

I had turp. Can't have sex. Can not obtain erection or ejaculate.

If you want a relationship - forget it. I had one now can't obtain erection or ejaculate. Not good!!!!!

It is a challenge! 40 days post op still feeling a little shity mentally and physically had two bladder infections that really slowed me
Down damit my prostate was one of the largest he has ever seen so lots of tissue removed I am glad I had it done but wish I had it done earlier heating pads ice bags hot baths relieve the pain and Xanax helps when I get overwhelmed. I only take Tylenol for pain but have stronger but don't use I see my dr for the second time today I guess I will be one of the 14 week recovery folks but I just want to get better

I am 55 days past Turp big prostate lots removed still have bladder pain pee pain couple bladder infections still notbfeeling well he says expect upvyo 6 months to feel better still have blood in my pee according to test Damn if it was not for my heating pad ice bag An hot baths I don't know? Tylenol helps half pill every 3-4 knocks down the physical An mental as I am sure mental is part of my problem as I went through so much er visits before An after surgery Xanax helps too

Exactly my outcome. No problem with erection, just hardly any ejaculate comes out.

I can sympathize, my TURP 3 weeks ago. Post-OP on the first week it wasn't too bad. Other than blood, a few clots and that burning at the tip when urinating I lived through it. The following week larger clots and blockages started to occur, drinking lots of water pushed it through after several hours (sometimes 24) of anxiety. Eventually the pain catches up to you physically so you have to take some more days off work.
After the second week things got more painful with blockages and pain. Then the blood clots stopped but with more often urination (every 30 minutes). After a couple of days that too stopped with urination every 1.5 - 2 hours, the problem was the longer you peed the more the pain intensified.
After 3 weeks the pain is still intense, after long urinations the intensity makes me want to defecate. Tried to take a few pain pills but that just makes things worse and does nothing for the pain. Might as well pack concrete up your ass, between the pain and the prescription pain relievers (Oxycodine) your digestive tract is in turmoil.
Now I can aim and hit the toilet rather than spray everywhere. Flow is better than before but I'm not pushing it harder because of the pain. Still waking up several times a night (3). Hopefully the worst is over and things heal faster. Bathroom to steam clean and sheets to burn is next.

I published four blog posts about my husband's TURP, which was conducted to try to eradicate prostatic cysts (and which ultimately failed to eradicate them). Anyone contemplating TURP is welcome to read about our experience.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

My husband went in for this "simple" procedure. TURP. During surgery, the doctor perforated his bladder and it was not discovered until enough time had passed that his abdomen was grossly swollen. He was intubated in the OR, sent directly to ICU, given 4 different antibiotics, 15 units of blood, and never moved regained consciousness and no response from him was noted. He died 36 hours later when we removed the intubation as his organs had begun to shut down. Be very careful. We had hoped for a life changing experience for him since he was in so much pain prior to the surgery. He was aware of possible side effects, but we were definitely not prepared for him to die. Make absolutely sure that all of your other physicians have thoroughly checked you out and sign off their approval.