My son had cold that starts to get better and then gets worse. Also he was complaining to pain and pressure in forehead and between the eyes. It gets me worry so I decided to visit our family doctor. He examined him and concludes that is sinusitis. I am worry now so I would like to know more about it, what cause sinusitis.

Sinusitis is the name for a condition in which the lining of sinuses becomes inflamed. Anything that causes swelling in sinuses or keeps the cilia from moving mucus can cause sinusitis. Changes in temperature or air pressure are some of the reasons that lead to sinusitis. Risk to get sinusitis is increased if you use decongestant nasal sprays too much, smoking or swimming or driving. Growths called polyps can block sinus passages at some people. Acute sinusitis is caused by bacterial or viral infection. Probably with your son is this case, because this acute sinusitis often occurs after someone has had a cold. Those cold viruses attack the lining of sinuses causing them to swell and become narrow. Producing more mucus is body’s response to viruses, but this can gets blocked in swollen sinuses. This built-up mucus is good place for bacterial growth. Bacteria can cause sinus infection.

I have been feeling progressively lousey for approx 2mos. I had very vague symptoms that started with either a slight fullness over the right side of my nostril and ear or a slight pressure in the back of my head, (I just don't remember which came first). I was also more and more having a real hard time getting out of bed, feeling sort of either a numbness over my body or a heaviness both at night and in the morning and loss of appetite, fatigue and malaise (these symptoms were the most prevalent ones that i felt). I sort of felt as if something was going on when I was asleep that made me feel this way, perhaps sleep apnea. But, I was having such a difficult time of articulating what was going on with me.

Then one morning, I just could not get out of bed. My entire body felt weighed down, sort of numb (I just don't know what else to call it), and a bit of chest pain (very mild) and some shallow breathing however, my mind was completely awake...I felt like complete s&it! It freaked me out and I went to the ER. I was worried that it was depression because my mom is bipolar and my grandmom had a history of a major depression...but, I just didn't feel as if there was something that I was really sad about ( maybe the symptoms that I was feeling). Prior to me feeling this way, I did have some issues that were concerning me, but I thought in my mind that I resolved them. Anyway, I was worried that maybe my body was reacting even though I felt at peace with those issues. Oh, and by the way, I did sort of notice that I felt a better standing than lying down...but I didn't really think twice about.

They found nothing in the ER, which was good and bad because I felt like well maybe this is depression. I resolved myself that it wasn't the end of the world if it was.

Anyway, I followed up with my doctor...I was still feeling this vague feeling over my nostril and it seemed more full over that side of my head and my ear, but really not significantl) also a slight pressure/pain in the back of my head (always in the same spot)but the fatigue and the heaviness/numbess in the morning and the loss of appetite the symptoms that concerned me most. I told my doctor practically all of my symptoms, even the vague symptoms and she diagnosed me with depression. I went on wellbutrin, which makes you feel extremely weird until you get used to it. I felt like I was in a weird zone. I thought that the other vague symptoms were still there except the pressure in the back of my head, however, I think that I was focusing more on how weird I was feeling from the wellbutrin. My doctor told me I had to be on it for a week at a low dosage and then double the strength. Well, after a week I just felt too weird too increase the dosage. Meanwhile, over the weekend, I went away on a camping trip with my daughter...didn't take the wellbutrin because I didn't want to feel so weird. On the camping trip, I started to notice that the nostril thing and the fullness in my ear was still there (still very slight but more noticeble because the fatigue was gone). I went back to my doctor and told her that in someways I was feeling better and someways not and that I really thought there was something going on with my sinuses instead. She gave me flonase and told me to start taking claritin. I didn't feel much better from them, but I did feel more like something was trying to break up a little bit in my sinuses ...after a couple of days, I woke up feeling a version of how I did when I went to the er and I did get myself out of bed and I did notice as the day went on that I felt better standing up. I think that going on the wellbutrin helped to clear my mind a little because I did notice that I was feeling worse when I went to bed, had trouble falling asleep and felt better after getting out of bed, being upright!

I called my doctor to tell her the flonase and claritin weren't really helping and she prescribed Zithromax. I also started using Afrin. Just after one day, I am feeling so much better. I can breathe some much better. I feel such a significant difference...it hasn't even been 24 hours, so I don't really know for sure if it is the Zithromax or the Afrin or both making me feel better, but at least I know that it wasn't all in my head. I truly, truly feel better! And if this tale helps anyone else, even one person then I hope I saved someone else the misery of thinking that they are going crazy!

If you notice fullness in your head or pressure go to the doctor right away before it gets worse. Especially your symptoms seem to worsen at night and get better being upright. I think those were the symptoms that were key that I failed to focus on.

Thank you for reading this lengthy shpiel!