Wow! I was shocked to find this site with so many people attributing their health issues to their beds. Did any of you actually do the allergy test with the bed material? What was your result?

I know our memory foam mattress is one of the few changes in my life in the last couple of years since I began having issues, but my husband quickly dismissed it, leading me to think it might be a bit far-fetched. I just thought I was getting "older" and developing arthritis, but quietly suspected something, as I'm still only 35. My symptoms started most noticibly with finger stiffness, especially in the pointer fingers about two years ago. I have a lot of muscle stiffness as well. In the last few months, I've also had more respiratory issues, which I attributed to colds going around. But 2-3 months is an awful long time to have a cold! Also, I've had more ear-infection like symptoms and sometimes feel like my heart is a bit off. My doctor prescribed Mucenex after checking me out about a month ago. I took it for a week as he suggested. This helped with the congestion, but I'm still "off" and know something is wrong. I'm going to try sleeping on our old futon to see if I get better.

The morning after night one sleeping with my Tempurpedic pillow, I woke up to a few small "pimples" but thought it may not be that. So on night two, I put another pillowcase over the pillow and woke up this morning with more red filled bumps! So, I did a search and here all of you are with similar problems!

I also bought the bed, Rapsidy this weekend on Saturday Feb 28th, and today March 5th 2009 I have had a small rash for the past three days. I also thought it was the new comforter but it is obviously the mattress., I sleep great but have a slight ichy rash, I was hoping it would go away after a lil bit but seems like the previous post say it last months if not years. scary, I have to keep my matress for 30 days before I can take it back so I better figure it out if im going to get used to it or not.

I thought it was my shampoo but now that I searched and found these postings, it is what I suspected, my back has been itching me crazy and my scalp/neck because with the foam mattress, they also gave 2 pillows. I noticed tonight that I was fine until I laid back in the bed and my back started itching right away. I have a red bump behind my left ear. I thought this was a Godsend, finally being comfortable and getting a good night's rest and now my back is all scratched up from scratching and trying to keep up with the itching. There are so few articles or message boards on this. thank you for being up!

I am also glad I found this site and all of the comments. I have been experiencing lite allergy symptoms -- eyes, stuffiness, etc. for awhile. I didn't connect it to the mattress until I read your posts. Then a few months ago I did start to experience more itchiness -- but thought it was dry skin issues from hypothyroidism. Then this week I had three pretty bad allergic reactions - trying to figure out was it something I ate? one of my meds? soap? dust mites? sheet material? I didn't get much sleep last night worried it might happen again -- and would mean I could not take the one med that has helped me to sleep the last few months -- and finally I fell asleep around 4:00 - and woke up at 6:30 covered in welts. The hives are really bad - and like most of you on my back, butt, legs and arms. The other day I had swollen lips -- the thing I don't like is I feel sick from this - and yesterday had lots of symptoms. I talked to a friend last night who is an EMT and we talked about that -- so internally I am reacting. Last night the test was to see -- is it the meds or bed? It's the bed!!! I thought I was crazy - and I don't want to give it up -- but I kept saying to those I got advice from that it was the bed.

Now I'm sitting here trying to take all of what I've read in -- and to go get another mattress -- I really don't have the money -- and I would be out the $3k I paid -- but I can't go through this again -- my fear is I will stop breathing -- that's how bad the reaction is at this point.

Did anyone every find out about any action being taken since there are so many people with this problem? The other night I tried to sleep on the couch - no luck there -- but I didn't have the reaction. It goes away after I'm up and around -- so it's the only thing that makes sense.

thanks....

wow i am having the same reaction that you guys are having, the only difference is im not getting any type of rash.. i just wake up very itchy.. i bought a plastic mattress cover to try and help the issue because i just got the bed a month ago... it seemed to help the first night... but now im itching again... it really sucks because since i bought it off of overstock.com they do not accept returns on ANYTHING that has been opened.. so im stuck with a 500$ bed that i cant sleep on...

It's amazing how many people have posted these symptoms, and I'm so glad I decided to do more research before buying a Tempurpedic. I can only imagine how many more people have the same symptoms and haven't made the connection yet. I hope some of you or others can get the word out to those considering buying this mattress!

i bought a memory foam mattress in september 08. within a few days i began to break out in a rash that started on my hands. it quickly spread over my whole body including my scalp, which caused the loss of my hair. ive been using creams prescribed for psorisis and more recently exema. none of theses creams have helped. yesterday i removed the mattress topper and managed a good nights sleep for the first time in 8 months. has any body else suffered similar problems from the mattresses?

Bought a Sealy 'Beauty Rest' mattress made in China, which is similar to the Tempurpedic and first night had significant tightening of lungs that I have never felt before. Hoping it was a fluke, I tried second night and same thing. It has improved as the chemical smell has gone away, but now my lungs tighten in other places too. My guess is that the chemicals in the mattress triggered Adult onset Asthma. Now I am stuck with it. Thanks Sealy.

After exhausting all possible scenarios to a myriad of health issues(including bad Feng-Shui), I decided to google 'tempurpedic allergy' this morning and am sitting here with my jaw open, almost too dumbstruck to write, yet am compelled to. My partner and I bought a tempurpedic bed in Feb '06 shortly after moving to a new apartment. Thinking back, I started to experience 'allergy' symptoms continuously thereafter, attributing that to getting older and what-not since I had never had any real issues growing up. That summer, I developed an extremely bad case of hives around my lower region and thought that, well, maybe it was the carpet or the dog or dust mites, etc. I went in for a series of allergy tests that all came back negative. I even got tested for celiac's. We moved the following year in 2007 and now live across the street from a park. My allergies continued and I've kept a constant supply of Claritan in my medicine cabinet. That year, I began to experience joint pain around my elbows, wrists and ankles and thought I was becoming arthritic! I started to drink acai fruit juices to boost my immune system and even went to see an herbalogist to see if any remedies could be found there. The herbal teas helped alleviate the pain but it was temporary . Then last December, I broke out with an extreme case of uticaria; arms, legs, back, hips, and neck. I went to see an immunologist who sent me to undergo a battery of RASt tests which showed an increased ige level. All the other tests: laytex, pollen, etc. were negative. After several visits and a year's prescription to Zyzal, I was resigned to living with chronic uticaria. Recently, I have felt hip, back and painful muscle tissues and I'm thinking fibromyalgia??! This past week, my partner developed small red bumps on her arms and chest to which she attributes to possible food allergies. That's when it dawned on me that it's not just me. I feel at this point, my immune system has been so compromised that anything will give me a reaction. Thank all of you who have posted - I will immediately stop sleeping on the bed.

we had gotten a tempurpedic mattress and my husband has had symptoms like these but the side of his jaw neck-line is swollen up and the doctors have run tests and other things and nothing they all come back negative they said that everything is normal but that is not normal having the side of your face swollen. so he tryed typing in allergic reaction to memory foam and got this site and omg we r going to get rid of our mattress to see if it works i hope it does.....

are you using sheets and mattress cover and still getting these rashes? OH NO ..Im waiting for mine to be delivered right now!

we just got ours the other day..I was the one waiting for mine to be delivered. It had no odor I used a mattress cover and sheets and had no problems being hot and no skin irritations. It definately is firmer but comfortable..worth the money? I guess only time will tell.

I actually sell mattresses including the Tempurpedics. I just had my first tempurpedic customer ever come in and let me know about their allergy problem. The husband was having trouble with his breathing at night on the new bed. His wife has had no problems with the mattress though and it has done wonders for her back pains. They may switch to a Dual King mattress set- her on the tempurpedic and him on a different mattress.
The nice thing about buying it from Mattress Firm is we let them switch it out with our comfort guarantee. So if you are worried you may have allergies to the product, definitely buy it from a well known company that offers a comfort guarantee. And remember, these allergic reactions are 1 in a 100 from my experiences. Both my parents and parents in law sleep on a tempurpedic and love it!

Hi, we bought a memory foam mattress topper a couple of months ago its covered with a mattress protector pad ,I'll digress a little now saying I had been given some tablets by the doctor to ease gastric acid and I thought I'd had a severe reaction to them, so I stopped taking them butthe symptoms persisted I felt so ill some days I could hardly get out of bed my skin erupted big red spots eczma type rash and hives and every bone in my body ached and I felt as though I had asthma. Now for the good bit I stumbled across this page three days ago we took the topper off that night and the symptoms have almost gone. So anyone thinking of memory foam and they are so comfortable , please have an allergy test before you buy, hope everyone else who have been affected are recovering. Regards Elyse :'(