I purchased a tempurpedic mattress 3 or 4 years ago for the comfort and it really helped with aches in my hips and joints.  I soon after developed insomnia but thought it was caused by stress; however, I started to notice that when we vacationed or slept in other places, I got a better night's sleep.  Frequently I would have headaches and sinus blockage.  I changed my sheets, covered everything in mattress or pillow incasements, hired a housekeeper (I thougth maybe I wasn't dusting well enough) and changed my laundry detergent.  It didn't get any better.  In the last 6 weeks, I've been taken to the hospital for swelling in my face (always occurred after I got up in the morning) and I've developed food allergies (I can no longer eat beef or eggs).  I'm a chef and have cooked and eaten beef and eggs all my life. Now, if I eat either, I feeling a tingling then my lips, face and tongue start to swell.  Additionally I'm was told I'm allergic to dust mites and mold).

After the diagnosis from the allergist, I began to suspect my bed was the cause of my problems. So, I started sleeping in every other bedroom in my house.  Every morning I woke up feeling fine with little or no congestion, coughing, headaches and definitely no swelling in my face.  Then I returned to my bedroom.  I can't be in the room without feeling sick. Within 10 to 15 minutes of getting in the bed, the sinus blockage returns,  I start coughing and can't stop. I'm allergic to my bed! 

When I look back on it, I've been feeling bad since we purchased the bed but blamed it on other things.  I am convinced this bed has altered my auto-immune system.  I hate to think I've spent over $4,000 for a bed I can't sleep in. Anyone considering purchasing one of these beds should do their homework first.

I have been searching for answers to my EXTREME itching problem, after reading this I am sure it is the Tempur-Pedic bed purchased in June of 2011.  Within a month of sleeping on this I developed a rash on my upper arms and chest and it would't stop itching... also sharp tingling at the itch site. I have been to dr's and they said that the bed could cause the problem due to the chemicals in it.  I am up almost every night as I can't sleep due to the itching.  No meds or creams can stop it......I am miserable to say the least.  I looked all thru the information received when we purchased this and find nothing about any allergies that this mattress can cause...I have called the company with the problem and they said I could get a refund on the mattress, still waiting for the forms to fill out...How can a company get away with this???????  I wonder if I will ever get a nights sleep again..

I have had my mattress for 7 years no problem, loved it! 8 months ago I began itching, my story is so similar to yours. Blood after blood drawn, allergist, 2 different dermatologist on multiple occaastions. Steroids, steroids and more steroids, 4 different antihistimines, hormone cream, skin biopsy and the list goes on. Three rounds of scabies treatment... WOW I suspected my bed because I am so much worse in the bed at night. The bed is going away today!

Well sad as I am to add to this group of comments, I have come to the conclusion that my allergic reaction is due to my temper pedic bed.

I have owned this bed for at least 6 years with no reactions, but this winter I purchased a temper pedic knee pillow and also added an electric blanket to the mix.

I started out with a rash on both shins, small red spots, highly itchy. Of course by scratching the area it makes a large inflamed area. Then started discovering a rash starting to appear on the outside of my arms and all across my back.

Starting waking up in the night trying to itch all over, even legs would start twitching while trying to go to sleep.

About a week ago, came to the conclusion that the bed was the cause. Started sleeping on a standard mattress and the rash has started to dry up on my back. Had to add steriod cream to treat the shins.

Made the mistake of testing the original bed for about an hour last night as I had a Dr. appointment scheduled for today, wanted the Dr. to see what the fresh spots looked like. Needless to say only an hour was enough to fire up the rash again. So confirmed it for me.

Hope this is helpful for others in similar situation, but I will miss my adjustable bed.

I wonder if it is the year it was made? I'm happy that you are not sick from bed! But I was and will never sleep on it again! Hope your back healed up quick. If you don't mind, do you know the year it was made or year you purchased?

Hello, I am so happy for you and your wife! I so wish I could say the same. I wonder if it was the year it was made. Do you know when it was made or date you purchased? 

I am so sorry you and your family went through this! I also have been so ill sense I purchased bed. I am a single mom and and don't have much money to spare but I thought purchasing this bed would make me a more energetic mom because of my chronic back and hip pain. It has been a nightmare! I sleep on couch now or my sons bunk bed. I just hope the owner of the tempurpedic will stop making this bed and pillows!

I am so sorry for your pain and frustration! I also feel the same. I think we at least should get a new bed (not Tempur!) and the sickness we all Indored should be pain and suffering! I haven't slept in bed for over a year. So sad that I saved all this money to feel better but makes me feel awful! I sleep in on my couch or my sons bunk bed. This is just not right! I believe after all the sickness, that they would be more then happy to at least take bed away and give us any bed we chose. That is the least they can do! I don't believe in suing but this is affecting my like with my two sons in so many ways! :(

You need to get a True-test from or "patch test" from a dermatology doctor which may include some of the foam or rubber from your bed to confirm you findings about your bed. You know better than anyone what is causing your reaction described above. Then based on the doctors findings from the True-test, you can proceed to force the company to refund your money and pay your doctor bills plus buy you a natural made mattress.

I had no trouble returning my bed and ergo system....they were very helpful, no problems at all. Already got my check.

OK Not sure what to make of all of this. I bought a Tempurpedic  Topper because I have problem sleeping on bed hips hurt in morning. Now husband is waking up at night with headaches, and he can sleep on anything. Crazy I don't want to go back to pain when sleeping but can't make him sick! Is there any proof it could be the material in Tempurpedic?

Sounds like you may have been exposed to scabies. Scabbies does not always present with the classic burrowed linear rash. They love to live in mattresses, clothes, & furniture, causing itching & burning thats worse at night. You need a prescription for Lindane cream. Apply cream from neck down. Get rid of the mattress. Wash all clothes in hot water. Spray couches down with Nix spray. There's no shame in the game. I had it. You will feel 100% better.

WOW. It's eleven pm and I have not been sleeping well for a long time now. I've been getting red raised itchy and often painful welt-like hives all over my hands, wrists, feet, and sometimes thighs for months now...I've tried everything from new vacuuming powder, new sheets, a new mattress, flea meds for the pets, etc...it never occurred to me until tonight that I bought my memory foam mattress pad around the same time these allergies started.. So I came online to see if it was even a possibility, and found this whole thread. I've been getting sinus infections and over heatig badly as well... Not only am I on a mattress pad, but a pillow I cuddle with is memory foam as well! Time to remove both and see what happens..

I have had this also, mainly on my cheeks. Raised red blotchy and itchy skin. It's sad because I really love my new pillow and supports my neck really well :( Thanks all for posting, glad to know what the cause is!!!

'my partner gets really hot in bed .' Don't complain!