Hello! My new tempurpedic bed was delivered to me about 8 days ago, and two nights after sleeping on it I have developed a skin allergy. There are red spots on my neck and they itch like crazy. The following night I spent in the other room on my old bed, and the allergy subsided a little bit. Then I tried a new bad again, and it got worse. I am so irritated by this. I want to sleep on my new bad and I can’t. I called the furniture company and they said that nobody has complained about it before. Now I sleep on my old bed, thinking what to do with a new one.

Hello! I also have a problem with my new tempurpedic. I haven’t developed any allergies but there is this awful smell that won’t go away. Whenever I sleep on it, I wake up with severe headache and I have to change rooms. I tried ventilating the room but it didn’t help. I am also thinking about what I should do!!!

I had my tempurpedic bed delivered 5 days ago and am breaking out in a rash all over my body that itches and is red and blotchy. I've had to take benadryl. I also got a bad headache.
When I called the company, it didn't surprise me that they said they had never heard of this.

I also had trouble with my new tempurpedic bed. I had a rash and a flair up of asthma. I tried airing out the room for a few days but the problem persisted. I went back to the store, firmly explained the problem and they took the bed back.

in response to your allergy problems, I work in the furniture industry and sell memory foam mattresses ie tempurpedic style, while I do not know for sure but I think that you may be getting overheated in the bed, the memory foam does not breath, it works on body tempurature to conform to your body, the cell structure of the foam is so dense that the air cannot circulate, yes, we have had some customers complain about the heat, so you are probably getting allergy type symptoms, but are getting overheated, try putting a all cotton mattress pad on top of the bed so you are not laying directly on the foam

I am one of these people who usually break out with some chemicals. I have been washing dishes lately and laundry so when I got my tempurpedic bed 3 days ago, I dismissed the rash on my hands because it normally happens when I wash dishes. I have been using hydrocortizone cream and hope that helps. I have also been feeling ill in the last two days for no particular reason. Headaches, nausea and generally just out of it but I go back to bed to feel better. I got the bed because I recently had spinal surgery so I really hope I do not have to get rid of it. I am trying to get used to the scent since the label says the scent does go away with time.
Outside of the odor, I am not bothered by it and have been sleeping better than ever before.. that is if the rash is not caused by it. I also use benadryl.

Hi all, so glad to know I am not alone.

I recently purchased a Novaform Coolwave memory foam queen mattress from Costco. I had one before for two years that I absolutely loved and had no problem with.

Once out of the box and air tight packaging, this new one did not expand like my first one had. There was no chemical smell like my first one had either. But, because I didn't have anything else to sleep on, I gave it a few extra days to expand and ended up sleeping on it anyway, even though it was still in its original "lazy W" shape.

After sleeping on the mattress for 2 nights, I noticed an itchy rash starting to appear on my arms. I immediately called Costco to return the mattress (they actually instructed me to slice it up - that was fun.) because the darn thing never did expand anyway and now I was worried I was having an allergic reaction to it.

It's been 12 days since the last time I slept on the mattress, and this rash is now all over my body. I think it is finally starting to clear up; At least I am hoping so, as the itch is driving me crazy and I'm so tired of looking like I have some rare skin disease.

I'm thinking the rash has something to do with the chemicals in the foam that never got properly release when it was supposed to expand?

Anyhow, that is my experience.

I got a memory foam pillow about 2-3 weeks ago and a couple days into using it I got a small red slightly raised rash on my cheek. It didnt hurt and I just thought thats weird and dismissed it. So last night I got another rash on my other cheek when I looked in the mirror this morning. I decided to look it up on google and I found all of you talking about memory foam. I think there is something wrong about it even though it is so comfortable I'm not sure I should keep using it.

:x IN SEPT 07 I PURCHASED TEMPUR-PEDIC BED -IT STILL STINKS.I HAVE WOKEN UP MOST MORNINGS FEELING LIKE I DID NOT SLEEP AT ALL, AND THERE IS ALMOST ALWAYS A NAGGING HEADACHE AND PERSISTANT COUGH. MY FOUR YEAR SON HAS TAKEN TO SLEEPING IN MY BED BECAUSE IT SO MUCH MORE FULL OF COMFORT THAN HIS. IN THE TIME THAT I HAVE HAD THIS BED THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SO WONDERFUL, MY FOUR YEAR OLD HAS GONE TO THE ER THREE TIMES BECAUSE HE COULD NOT BREATH.I NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE ALL THE CONNECTIONS IF I HAD NOT BEEN TRYING TO GET INFO ON LINE RE THE TERRIBLE SMELL. THE THINGS I HAVE READ ONLINE ARE REALLY BAD I AM HOPING THAT THEY WILL DO THE RIGHT THING BUT WHEN I CONTACTED CUSTOMER SERVICE TODAY I WAS TOLD THAT THE BED WOULD BE REPLACED AND THE THE CHEMICALS ARE NOT HAZARDOUS TO MY HEALTH. TRY TELLING THAT TO MY SON TO ME, AND TO THE HUNDREDS OF OTHER PEOPLE BEFORE ME THAT HAVE HAD SIMILIAR AND SOME TIMES WORSE SYSMTOMS ALL BECAUSE OF A BED.

I also just went through having had a severe reaction (asthma) after sleeping on a new, toxic, smelly tempurpedic pillow, resulting in needing to be off work for almost two weeks. Does anyone know if any actions (lawsuit, organized advocacy etc) have been attempted? Tempurpedic should not be allowed to sell these products, or at least not without a BIG warning sign on it.

Celebrity
Really glad i clicked on this one. I have been thinking about getting a mattress cos i have a bad back.
Wont be now, my partner gets really hot in bed so that would make it worse.
Thanks for the info everyone :-D

I found all the postings here this morning in a very sad mood.
First, I have insomnia.
I bought a tempurpedic mattress several months ago in the hope that it could get me good night sleep. After a few weeks of using it, my husband and I began to get lots of slightly raised light red rash on our skins. We had to get up so frequently at night time because we couldn't tolerate the itches. Then, we tried to switch rooms and got back to our old spring mattress and we felt better. I couldnt believe that was the mattress that caused the skin allergy because no any warning sign i could find about it from manufactures or furniture stores. I went to see my doctor and she had no idea except giving me anti-itchy creams. After consulting furniture stores, the only complain i heard was about overheating. When the weather started to cool a little bit, although it is never that hot in northern california, we went back to tempurpedic again. The same time, I washed mattress cover and all sheets 3 times a week and cleaned carpet thoroughly twice a week. Still, i couldnt believe such an expensive and highly-recommended mattress was the cause. However, we delevoped worse skin reactions all over our bodies. After one week of no-sleeps, my husband and I decided to live in our guest room. This month, my parents and my nephew are visiting us. We let my parents live in the master bedroom in hope that they are fine with the bed. Unfortunately, they started to develop the similar skin rash.
I couldn't return it to the store or manufacture apprently after several months of purchase. I couldn't sleep on it or live in my master bedroom either. It cost me almost $3000. After checking the skin rash on my mom's cheek this morning, she insisted the mattress caused them, I googled the internet and found all postings here. I am so glad I am not alone. however, I dont think dealing with customer service of the company was that hopeful. So, i have the same question as the one of VikingPastor: Does anyone know if any actions (lawsuit, organized advocacy etc) have been attempted? The same reason: "Tempurpedic should not be allowed to sell these products, or at least not without a BIG warning sign on it." If I knew so many people had skin allergies to the materials, i would never have bought it. My hope of healing my insomnia is gone, now, I've already felt mentally exhaused to deal with this so called space-science mattress.

I cannot beleive what i am reading. My husband and I have been experiencing a very bad itchy rash for months now and had no idea it was from our tempur pedic mattress. We have both been to the doctor several times and had to receive shots and steroid pills to help with the severe itching and rash. We were just getting ready to go to a specialist to try to figure out what was going on with us. I decided to google today tempur pedic rashes and I cannot beleive all of the people with the same problem. I guess i am relieved to now know what is wrong...however our $3,000 dollar mattress is down the drain. Plus our numerous trips to the doctor office and loss of work wages. I would love to get my money back for the mattress if anyone knows how to accomplish that please let me know.

I recently upgraded my bedding and bought a goose feather filled dovet, and tempur pillow. A few days later I too developed allergic rhinitis (headaches, ear popping, sinus problems etc). I told my doctor about the new bedding and she suggested I reverted to my old synthetic dovet to see if the symptoms went. They did not, so I changed back to my old pillow and the symptoms have now gone away.

I also found my symptoms were worse first thing in the morning after sleeping on the tempur pillow all night. I can't say for sure but it seems like too much of a coincidence to me and ervyone else on this thread.

Lee

Wow! I am astounded by what I have been reading. I have a TempurPedic mattress purchased about a year or two ago. About 6 months ago, I began having breathing problems and sinus issues every night. Thought it was seasonal allergies at first, then suspected a chemical I used to clean my adjacent bathroom. The season changed, I stopped using the cleaning chemicals, and the problem persisted. I "dealt" with it. About 3 months ago, I developed an insidious rash on my back that itched like crazy. Raised red bumps. Thought it might be related to laundry detergents. Changed brands several times. Over the last 3 months the rash has remained and gradually moved to my hips, stomach and outer thighs. Same thing---dermatology visits, tried all kinds of over the counter remedies. Even considered I might have a communicable disease because I travelled out of the country into an Eco-tourism sort of place in a third world country about 6 months ago. At 4 am today, after awakening every 40 minutes all night, I got the inspiration to google allergies and Tempur Pedic Mattresses. I've also noted that the itching is most intense at night and there is a secondary burning that goes along with the itching. The burning goes away, and the nasal stuffiness and swollen breathing passages immediately improve when I am up and out of bed. The return when I go to sleep. The itchy rash is constant. Now I've noticed it on my right shoulder area as well. I've just come to the conclusion it is my mattress. What a shame! It has been very good for my backaches in the past, but I just cannot continue any longer. I am grateful for prior postings, which have helped me sort out what has been going on. Guess I am also out the money spent on this expensive mattress. I would gladly join a class action suit against TempurPedic for not acknowledging or warning people about the potential side effects. Any lawyers out there?