My husband quit smoking 2 mo. Ago, and sleeps all the time - 16 - 20 hrs. Day.  Has been irritable which I expected, but I'm really worried about the sleeping?  How can someone sleep 18 hrs. A day for 2 mo?  He is 68, smoked since 14.  his doctor ordered a machine that checks oxygen level - checking for sleep apnea.  Any experience or suggestions for this problem?

thanks,

carolyn

His body is going through a massive change. Give it time. If he was fine prior to quitting then that seems likely why he is sleeping so much. After I quit, I felt very off for a long time. I'm almost at 15 months now and just starting to have better days then no so good days. At 2 months I was really off with digestive issues, anxiety, shortness of breath you name it. I was not tired but do hear from others that can happen as well. If the doctors say he's ok then give him time and see how it goes. Maybe take a good multi vitamin and exercise as much as he can handle. Good luck

Also, after I quit I was very depressed for awhile which he may be going through and why he may be sleeping so much. Hopefully he will snap out of it soon. Better later than never.

When your husband was still smoking, his buddies were seeking to sleep, but he kept pumping nicotine into their system to override the body's need. The present of nicotine prevents him from listening to his body's need. This happens to a person who smokes heavily. Too much sleeping can be normal for the first few days as a part of nicotine withdrawal. But if continues to happen more than a month, you need to schedule an appointment with a health care professional.