I had sinusitis and tonsilitis for more than 40 years. I had nose operations twice to cure my sinusitis but it can only relieve my problem to a certain extent. My tonsilitis is no better. Every time I had serious sinus attack, I would have tickling throat which made me cough and at times lead to bronchitis. While I had throat problem, my tonsils would have white foul smelling chilly seeds like substance sticking on them. This substance might have cause the irritation as scrapping it away will reduce the irritation. Now I am 57 years old. Recently, I had a tonsilectomy (as advised by ENT specialist) and am still under recovery. I am not sure this will cure my throat problem.

hi, the seed like substance you are referring to is known as a tonsillolith, or tonsil stone. your tonsils have little craters in them known as crypts, and bacteria, food deposits, skin cells etc all collect here and form a tonsil stone. the problem is that repeated tonsillitis or tonsil stones cause these spaces to stretch and this just makes you prone to repeated occurences. using a mouthwash and being really careful with your oral hygiene should help as will removing any stones as soon as you spot them hope this helps.