I began experiencing pain in my back around this time last year. The pain is concentrated right underneath my neck in my shoulder near my spine on the right side. The pain is a burning pain and sometimes it becomes so severe when I go to stand up that I have to slowly ease into a fully upright position. It isn't constant, but once it begins it's pretty much there for the rest of the day, going between really bad and slightly uncomfortable. It's not present when I wake up but begins maybe an hour after. I just got on Medicaid so I haven't seen a doctor or a specialist for this yet.
My boyfriend's Aunt is a massage therapist and she worked on my back using ice and then massaging out the "little crunchy things" that were causing the pain. She said it was very swollen but that the cause was stress. I know that I will need to see a doctor, of course, and get his/her opinion but I wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing psychosomatic pain, and if it is as severe as mine is. To be honest with you I do feel it coming on or worsening greatly when I am stressed but then there are other times when I am TOTALLY relaxed, typing on the computer and the pain just starts BURNING in my shoulder blade close to the base of my neck/spine. I would like opinions from anyone possibly going through a similar issue. I'm 22 years old and I am otherwise healthy. I take methadone because I am a recovering opiate addict but it does not seem to help the pain at all anymore. I am looking into detoxing from it within the next few months but I am scared it may become even worse without it. I have tried Aleeve, Ibprofen, tylenol, excedrin, everything. Nothing works. All I can think of is possibly using heat and ice and having someone massage my back. Can this really ALL be due to stress? Or is it more likely an existing injury that is made worse by stress? If so, what kind of injury would it be considered? For some reason typing makes it excruciating, I am wondering if the use of my right arm is related to the pain. Please let me know what kind of doctor I should see or any tips for pain relief because I'm really getting frustrated and depressed over this. I'd like to get off methadone and never take opiates again in my life. I really want to find a way to deal with this without compromising my sobriety down the road. Thank you!

That happened to me too! I couldn't turn my head fully for a couple of days, and it hurt to get up, my back was just killing me! And the thing is, I'm only 17, so I was crazy worried. It comes back from time to time, but its just been that one time a couple of weeks ago. Have you gotten it checked out yet, because I want to know if I have to go to the doctor or not. 

Correction, it hurts from time to time, but its only been that severe once.

i am shiva of M.Tech student in govt. college in TN (India). I am suffering from neck pain and shoulder pain. I can't even see properly any kind of paper. what shall i do for that, but without any admitted in hospital.