Hello. I have three cats and I love them all so much. I have one dog too, and I adore him, but it will never be the same love as towards my cats, especially my oldest one. I feel so connected to her, we practically grew old together.

Anyway, she has some heart problems and since she is very old, I’m probably gonna have to say goodbye to her. It makes me very sad, but…that’s life. I have two other cats, her daughters :) and that makes me happy. I am here to ask you is there any way I can prevent heart problems in them?

Hey there.

I love cats as well. I don’t know what is going to happen with me one day when they leave me :( I don’t want to think about it.

Now, let me answer on your question. It would be so nice if there was a good treatment for this, but unfortunately there is no much things that you can do about it. The best thing that you can do is to take care of your cat’s diet program and to make sure that she walks enough, that she is spending a lot of time outside. Those are just minor options :/

That’s so sad. :/

I can relate cause I had a Dalmatian dog for twelve years, and last year, it was about this time a year….actually it was two days before New Year’s Eve I had to euthanize him.

My heart was broken for days after that. He was an amazing dog. And I too have his son :) It makes me happy too.

About your question, I don’t really know any prevention methods. I think the most important thing is to feed them with healthy food (buy only high quality products) and avoid situations that can be stressful to them.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to prevent that. Heart issues are a silent killer for both cats and dogs. So many pet owners lose their pets because of this, it’s so sad. :/ I know at least four of them who have lost their pets because of heart problems. The thing is, you will never notice any symptoms until the disease is progressed to the point where there’s nothing you can do. Cats don’t show any signs till they’re in a very bad position. Knowing that, it’s very hard to believe that you can prevent it. I don’t know…

I beg to differ. There is actually many ways to prevent hearth problems in your pet to develop (unless it’s some kind of genetic disease, in which case you really can’t do much, but you can still try).

For example you can make sure that your pet’s CoQ10 requirement is satisfied. This is a naturally occurring coenzyme and when they are young cats have plenty of it, but as they get older, their ability to produce it decreases and that’s when it’s a good idea to start buying Coenzyme Q10 supplements.

And of course the proBNP blood test is something that can help you in prevention too.

I disagree that you can’t prevent heart problems and diseases in cats. You can do it. And how? Very simple – every hearth disease in cat can be prevented through annual veterinary examinations, tests, vaccines and feeding your cat with good and appropriate diet program. It is totally different story if your cat as some predisposition to have hearth problems. In this case early diagnosis can help manage hearth health and prolong cat’s life.

Maybe for you those prevention options are not enough but trust me – they are. It is very easy to deal with hearth problem when you see them soon.

Hello. Diet definitely plays a huger role in prevention. I agree that you can’t do much about it, but you can do enough and you should start in the early stages of your cat’s life. When your cat is still young, when your cat is kitten, you should determine with your vet what is the best diet program for her. Once you determine it you should feed your cat according to this. You have to be very careful because you don’t want your cat to get fat, right? Well than you should pay more attention on her activities outside. Visiting the vet plays a huge role as well. Vaccination can help in this a lot.

Hey everyone. This is very interesting subject. So I did some research and guess what – there are some ways that can prevent heart problems in cats.

But this should be ordinary routine. Here is what you need to do.

Going to the vet maybe is expensive but you need to do that to prevent hearth problems in cats. You should visit your vet annually, but you need to know that cat’s hearth disease can decrease soon. Regular checkup is the best defense against hearth disease.

Other preventions include pest control and breed awareness. Diet program also plays significant role in this.

But also you need to know that sometimes prevention is not possible when your cat has genetic hearth disease.