Hi, I have just started my aerobic classes. This is all new to me because I was never much into sports. The classes are interesting, except for the stretching part. I find it very boring. What is the purpose of stretching? And why it is done before and after the workout?

Hi, although you find stretching exercises boring they are a very important part of the workout. They are done at the start of the class to worm up the muscles and prepare them for the strain you are about to put them through. If you did your aerobic program without stretching out first you would be in much greater danger of injuring your self during the intense exercise program. But more sport professionals think that worming up before the class is more important than stretching. They agree that it is more important to stretch after the workout. This way you help your muscles to relax after the workout. You also prevent your muscles from cramping. Stretching after workout reduces soreness you might be feeling the day after the workout.