Hi, in the last couple of weeks, I’ve been experiencing severe sudden upper abdominal pain. I am 19 years old, so I don’t think that I have a serious disorder. Do you know what could this be?

Hi, there are many causes of severe upper abdominal pain, and it doesn’t have to mean that you have something serious. But you should certainly see a doctor if your symptoms continue appearing. It is possible that your upper abdominal pain is caused by constipation. If you noticed that your bowel movement habits are changed in the last couple of weeks, that is probably the reason. Beside that, you might also have gas and bloating. Gas that is blocked in your large intestine can cause a sudden pain, just like in your case. It could be many other types of irritating bowl syndrome, but you have to be diagnosed by an expert first, if you want to get a proper treatment. You should eat small meals more frequently, plenty of fruits and vegetables, limit foods that produce gases, drink lot of water and exercise.