i'm 39 y.o. male and i have a problem in the medial side of my left knee that keeps me from running. i swim and cycle indoors. my question is this:
i have heard that for every 1 km swimming equals 4 km running. if i am currently swimming 4 days a week for 1 hour each day freestyle and i cover a distance of 3275 mts would that be the same as running 13100 mts in 1 hour? (3275 * 4).
i complete the week by cycling the other 3 days.

any comments on this would be very helpful.

thanks.

I'm not sure if that's completely true, but I agree that swimming is the best choice because your whole body is working out, and that's just great. If you want to know which one is the best I would again say swimming, but combination of all 3 is also a good choice.

i am not sure either ... what do you mean by 'equals' - calories burned?

if you have knee problems it is def better to swim as water as media is great for such problems. which also reminds me i am not sure whether cycling is the best option for knee related problems...