Hi, I too am having inflammation for 3 days now, under my left ear and a sharp pain when eating/drinking in the morning, worsened by acidic foods, tends to go away throughout the day, and starts back up the next morning. I've had this problem a bit since I was a teenager (now 26), but has never lasted this long before. After reading all of the posts on this thread, I do believe it's an inflammation of fluids secreting back to the gland, and am going to try 1. Ib profen in the morning, 2. Drinking water with lemon juice (bc most of these posts have said although painful, seems to be a way to clear it up) 3. Massaging cheek area (which already seems to be helping and 4. Gargling salt water. I will let you know within the next couple of days how this goes. !

Following up from my post yesterday (the last response), massaging from jaw upward towards cheek helped THE MOST. I did that every few minutes in intervals every 10 minutes, for 2 hours. I pretty much had NO pain after that. But, I took IB profen in the morning, then drank 4 glasses of water with a bunch of lemon in it, which still didn't hurt. I was shocked. I highly recommend massaging, as I think it opens up whatever gland is blocked. Good luck everyone.

I understand what you are going through, I'm going through the exact same thing now.  I cry with pain so bad, I can not eat i've been to an ent and saw an oral surgeon. Im on antibiotics , I can hardly eat anything, i feel like its been a living hell. So I know how your husband feels. You think they would know more about this problem and could alleviate the pain, but I just don't know , I pray all the time, I believe in God and think they he will get us all through our toughest times. My prayers will be with you too. I hope these doctors will be able to help us all before we all go out of our minds.

Another Guest that undestands

with my luck noone is going to see this in time/respond but ill give this a try. So ive been sick for three weeks now and FINALLY decided to go my colleges health clinic because my glands where swelling when i ate and extremely painful. They prescribed me augmentin antibiotic two take twice a day for ten days. im now im my third day my glands still swell everytime i eat and this morning i couldnt even go to class because my left ear is in so much pain i cant open my mouth. I'm supposed to have a performance with my sorority tonight but right now i am feeling hopeless. any words of wisdom 

Research 'First Bite Syndrome'

yes Unfortunately I have just started a chemo as part of my treatment for colon cancer. im also having Oxaliplatin and steroids and get a lot of pain in both parotid glands as I start eating. I have found if I start with very tiny bites of food the pain isn't as bad and seams to stop once after a minute or so and then I can eat as normal but if I stop eating for 5 min I have to start again
ha ho its a small price to pay for a long term health

Hello Ktz,
i am experiencing absolutely the same, i am wondering if you feel better and if the doctors found out what was wrong?

Hi Joybo, I have exactly the same symptoms like yours. Sometimes it happens when brushing teeth too. I have it only on my left side. I was told by my dentist that it is caused by TMJ-tooth grinding. However, I am still confused how does it relates, and keep researching the topic. Did you find out any additional info on what is causing that pain?
Thank you,
Irena

I have been trying to find the answer to this "paio" for months. My doctor only shrugs and tells me he doesnt know what it is.    ive been to every site I could find , for answers..  only people posting that they are looking for answers also.     Its not so rare after all. Hopefully, someone somewhere will find a "cure" for this painful thing. good luck to all ..

pain...sorry,,, oh,,, I do have RA.. my dr's answer was " well, youre taking pain medication so youre good" needless to say,,, looking for another dr lol

Please rule out mumps

It's Sjogrens

You have misspelled Swollen,  you left out one "l"

This is all very discouraging. I have had these symptoms for a couple of years now. It usually happens first thing in the morning but also sometimes during the day when I first eat something. It happens on either and both sides just under my ear and behind the jaw. Occasionally my glad is already swollen and tender when I wake up. And some mornings it doesn't happen at all. The pain is very sharp and intense. It usually subsides after the first bite or two, but the glad remains swollen and tender for several hours. I mentioned it to my dentist, and she said to tell my Rheumatologist. I mentioned it to him and he said it wasn't an autoimmune issue, and to see an ENT. It is interesting though that some of you have mentioned Sjogrens, because I am scheduled to get the test done for that in a couple of weeks. Haven't seen the ENT yet. I also clench my teeth, and have recently observed that it has seemed to be worse on mornings that I have slept in longer; which could be because I have been clenching longer?? I was diagnosed with TMJ years ago, but it has been under control. The only time I notice a problem from that is when I have to keep my jaws open for a long time at the dentist. If anyone has any tricks to help the pain subside quicker, please let me know. It seems if I breath out it helps some. Also, if I sense it's going to happen, I usually eat just one Cheerio at a time till I can eat normal bites. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold, or sour, sweet or bland. It all hurts the same.

thank you very much