Hello. I'm 45 year old worried mother and I would like to find out some information about teen pregnancy.
My daughter is only 17 year old but pregnant over then 5 months. When I found out the news I was devastated. She was pregnant 2 and half months already and father of the child has left her alone.
I took her to gynecologist but it was already too late to perform an abortion. It would be too risky for her.
So, we decided that we should keep a child. I don’t know anyone that gave a birth so young. Is my daughter a single case?

Just the other I have read some magazine in which I have read a lot of stuff about teen pregnancy.
Very few of them I have remembered but I know enough that I can say your daughter isn’t alone in this.
Not only that she isn’t alone but in the United States, approximately 1 million teenage girls become pregnant every year and about 25% of teenage girls who give birth have another baby within 2 years.
The thing that’s interesting is that teen pregnancy rates are much higher in the United States than in many other developed countries such as England or Canada.
I hope this was helpful. So, you are definitely sure that your are not alone.

i think it is God's plan that your daughter was meant to be pregnant/young parent even if you dislike it, and right, it is too risky for her to abort on that stage and my piece of advise is maybe you should keep the child and take care of it...there's a solution in every problem and just do think that it was a blessing.... there are some cases that minors/teen get pregnant like 14-18 years old here in our country.....Let's just think that it was a blessing and a gift from God.. Wish you good health and God speed......take care :-)

When were you told that it was too late for abortion? At 2.5 months it was definately not too late, and even at 5 months many places routinely do terminations up to 24 weeks. If she does not want the child, look around for different doctors/clinics who may help.

17 is not too young to have a child, my mum was 16 when I was born, had no help from family and still did a good job. She will probably need your support, it is a big sacrifice to give up your teen years to become a mother but I am sure she won't have too many regrets as she watches her child grow

well i had my baby at 16. & i was fine.
the hardest part is not going out with your friends & being home all the time.
& my bestfriend had her first baby at 13 & she just had her second one at 15 & she is fine

Anyone who has a child as a teenager may not be too young, but they're too young to give the child a decent life or know how to properly care for it most of the time.

Believe me, your daughter won't be the first teenage mother, and sadly, she will also ot be the last. I read a statistic (over 80 percent of which are made up anyway) that stated 40 percent of white teen girls and 60 percent of black teen girls end up pregnant before they graduate high school. I don't understand the difference in rates due to race, but whatever.

As far as abortion, depending on where you live (i.e. Britain), abortions may be legal up to 24 weeks/6 months. Considering at this time, however, it probably is too late for her to abort, have you considered adoption? It may not be the greatest alternative, considering most kids in the foster system have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than they do getting adopted, but at least the kid will be out of your hair.

Most likely, your daughter will not be able to support herself and the child alone, so you will become the free babysitter and easy-access wallet. You need to think about whether or not you can afford this child, because you'll probably be doing more work to care for it than your daughter, including paying for everything. Unless, of course, she gets on WIC so everyone else can pay for her child.

You should remind your daughter that life is a blessing, and that she should be proud of what her body is capable of. Even though it probably wasn't her plan to have a child at 17, we can't control everything in our lives. It may be bad timing, but a baby is never a bad thing. I got pregnant at 17 as well, the father left, I decided to keep the baby, but suffered a miscarriage at 2 months along. From my perspective, any woman who has a baby is incredibly lucky. Tell her not to worry too much about the furture- as long as that baby is loved and cared for, the rest will work itself out. But above all, support her and love her and be grateful for her baby. I know I would be.

I was 17 when I got pregnant. I had my son just after my 18th birthday. I had alot of people tell me to get an abortion etc. I am soooo glad I had the will to raise my son. His dad split and I worked full time and lived on my own raising him. It wasnt easy, but I did it. I was adult enough to lay in the bed, I was adult enough to follow through with the consequences. Be supportive of her decision. Whether she does what you think is right or not. I wouldn't change a thing if I could! I'm so glad I kept my son and my family supported me the way they did. Good Luck :-D

Well abortion is bad i think its murder ... And so what if shes young she can get a part time job and but baby in day care while shes in school and u can go to court and make the father pay child support. And if u think she isnt ready for this responsibility then u know adoption is always around the corner. And if she wants she can put it in an open adoption where she can still see the baby and recieve fotos of it and stuff.

That is not okay...She may be just fine and you may be just fine, but speaking as a man, whose opinion might be less valued, there are too many children raising other children; it is an epidemic in the U.S. I don't know how it is in the U.K., but in the U.S., one of the major contributions to crime and poverty in the country is underage pregnancies. Girls are forced to "grow up", when they are clearly not mature enough to raise a child, most of the time the father of the child is gone and she is forced to work several jobs or go on welfare. With the abscense of the father, young males, are forced to find their way through the world without a man's guidence, and they often mistreat women or end up confused about their sexuallity. Young girls are confused about what a man's dutties are and are more likely to give in to sexual urges quicker. It is without a doubt the biggest problem and precursor to other "ill of the ghetto" in the poor community and it is an endless cycle that needs to be broken, somehow. Yes, if you have support you may do just fine, but what about your future and ambitions, will you blame your child later in life? Even if you do not have support, yes you may get by, but you will struggle and you will subject your child to a dysfunctional environment that he, yes he, or she will most likely repeat.

I don't know how it is in the U.K., but in the U.S., one of the major contributions to crime and poverty in the country is underage pregnancies. Girls are forced to "grow up", when they are clearly not mature enough to raise a child, most of the time the father of the child is gone and she is forced to work several jobs or go on welfare. With the abscense of the father, young males, are forced to find their way through the world without a man's guidance, and they often mistreat women or end up confused about their sexuality. Young girls are confused about what a man's duties are and are more likely to give in to sexual urges quicker. It is without a doubt the biggest problem and precursor to other "ill of the ghetto" in the poor community and it is an endless cycle that needs to be broken, somehow. Yes, if you have support you may do just fine, but what about your future and ambitions, will you blame your child later in life? Even if you do not have support, yes you may get by, but you will struggle and you will subject your child to a dysfunctional environment that he, yes he, or she will most likely repeat.

This is NOT necessarily true. I was 19 when my son was born. I was - and am - an unmarried, single mother. Yes, it has been difficult, but my son is a true blessing, and I would not trade having him for anything. I am currently in graduate school, and raise my son without any form of public support. He has everything he needs, and then some. As for him growing up to be a criminal who abuses women, what an ignorant comment! He is an extremely polite, well - mannered boy who was taught his entire life how to be respectful. To any girls out there who are thinking of intentionally getting pregnant, THINK AGAIN! Yes, I made it, but it was a very long road. I had to give up many of my friends, going out to socialize, etc. Don't think you can have it both ways - you can't go out partying when you have a baby at home! It is NOT Mommy/Grandma's responsibility to get up for 3 AM feedings because you wanted to go out clubbing! It's selfish to intentionally make a baby for your own benefit before you are fully prepared for the responsibility. However, if you do find yourself in such a situation by chance, it is possible to make it and give your child a good life - with or without the support of the father. I'm living proof that it can happen.

hello, i've read articles and magazines and some women, old and young do not feel comfotable after abortions. They know that they've killed a living being. I think it's horrid that your daughter has to give up her teenage life but it's better than feeling guilty for the rest of your life. I hope your daughter loves her child!Good Luck!