Recently I was denied my test strip request. Now I can't test throughout the day and night as I should. I am in my seventies with type 1. it is very difficult to control my glucose levels and I often experience hypoglycemia and don't know what I'm doing. I just don't understand why they denied my test strip prescription given my severe diabetic condition. Eventually, I was able to get the test strips I needed but in the meantime I suffered greatly. Can anyone explain to me how or why this happened and if it happens again what I need to do or my doctor needs to do to get it corrected right away. Thanks.

Hello, that is terrible that your test strip request was denied.  I am presuming you received your test strips from your pharmacy?  They didn't explain to you why they were denied?  Have you tried getting your test strips through another pharmacy?  There are programs, such as those advertise on television, like Liberty Medical, that supply people on Medicare diabetic supplies, and you may get them at a reduced rate or at no cost to you.  You should check into programs that will assist you in getting the supplies you need.  You said you are in your 70s so I presume you are on Medicare if you reside in the US.  Good luck and I hope you resolve your issue soon!

This is a serious problem, however there can be several reasons for being denied test strips. First off you need to tell your doctor that you were denied test strips so he/she can help you find out where the problem is. I'm going to assume you're on Medicare. Sometimes, they only cover so many strips for an alloted period. You may have gone over the limit. In which case, you should have gone to your doctor and fill out the necessary paper work to ensure you get the number test strips you need. Sometimes, there can be clerical errors for some reason that may have you classified incorrectly that would limit the number of test strips you can receive. Somewhere along the line, Medicare may request your past medical records to verify the number of test strips you need. This could take some time but may be necessary to do. Get your doctor to help you do this. There may have been a change in your condition and it is not indicated in your records. Make sure everything is up to date. Remember, always report these things to your doctor. It may save your life. Hope you don't have this problem again in the future and take care!

I have been a type 1 diabetic for over 62 years, this problem seems to get worse. Medicae informed me, that the amount of strips is determined, by the doctor and the pharmacy. It is the pharmacy's job, to work with the doctor. When I asked that question, the pharmacy would not acknowledge that fact. They told me to call the doctor.