Okay, I know this might not work but my 3.5 yr son also had the same problem. And we've been giving me medication to reduce his cough. What my husband started doing is to make him wear 2 layers of pants and he stops! From Chinese way of treating, the cough is caused by cold that entered to the body.. so all you gonna do is to warm the body up and prevent the cold air from entering.

Hope this helps!

Dear All

I am also mother of 3 yr old daughter and was shocked to see so many posts in this regard. I was searching for remidy of the same. I have started Ayurvedic medicine to my daughter and its really working.
Its really a problem with immune system and once immunity increases everything will be alright.

Ok so when I read this page I realized that what is going on with my 2yr old lil girl is more common than i thought. My daughter has been coughing at night in her sleep for months. Just recently her doctor put her on prescription Zyrtec for allergies and it does work, see what was happening is she would cough so hard in her sleep she would throw up well like i said her doc gave her prescription Zyrtec and it works or it keeps her from coughing so hard she vomits. My concern is will my daughter have to take an allergy med every night forever? Also besides the meds there was one other thing I started doing that worked and it was not giving her any milk at night I give her juice or water instead because the milk mixed with the mucus seemed to make the milk curdle more than juice or water would. Just an idea it worked for my daughter but like i said before my main concern is what is really making this happen? And is she going to have to take meds every night forever?

I would like to share an article for cough problems, I hope that it will help you:

https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Home_Remedies_For_Cough_a851.html

Regards

Same prob here. My son started coughing at night around 20 months. I was so frustrated. He was a preemie (30 weeks) I might add. Well, his suggested singulair b/c he coughed whenever he exerted energy playing. He also was diagnosed with "reactive airway disease" which to me is basically asthma. It seemed to work but let me tell you what REALLY works....Zyrtec for 2 yrs old or less. It's like a whole new world. He gets a dose before his bedtime. Sometimes I give him enough to get us through 12 hours and sometimes I give him enough for 24 hrs. Hope this helps.

look into herbs that support respitory health...like slippery elm. drug companies may not have our or our children's best interests at heart!

look into herbs that support respitory health...like slippery elm. and herbs that support the immune system. there are so many! drug companies may not have our or our children's best interests at heart!

Two very good herbs for children's respiratory health and their immune system are elderberry and astragalus.
Slippery elm lozenges are helpful for the irritation, this will soothe the respiratory passages and perhaps stop coughing that comes from irritations.

Could it be asthma? allergies? environmental irritants? That's really hard to judge but the herbs and oils I suggest are helpful for dealing with the symptoms...you may still need to deal with the WHY of the coughing.

Placing a nebulizer in the room with a drop or two of thyme essential oil (antispasmodic) or eucalyptus (if congestion is present) or chamomile (calming). A chest rub of the essential oils (3 drops in 1 tsp olive oil) rubbed on the back and chest may also be helpful.

Diet has alot to do with our health. Focus on whole foods, avoid processed, refined junk. This is a tough one with young children but also essential for their overall health

My son is 2-1/2 years old and has been vomiting everything he eats for 3 days straight! He's been coughing up phlegm since early 2009 (just after his 1 year bday) we moved from San Diego, CA to Laredo, TX which is at the very bottom on the border of Mexico and has severe pollen counts and extremely hot weather.

When he was an infant he'd snort and snore a lot, and the Ped. said it was most likely due to oversuction of the nose after birth.

When we moved to Texas he started coughing up phlegm and it would lead to vomiting pools of clear phlegm - on occasion. We blamed it on colds and going from extremely hot weather outside to cold a/c indoors.

We changed Dr's and got presribed a medicine I can't remember right now (I think antibiotics because it was pink and kept in the fridge)and as a back up Singaulair oral granules. After he finished the liquids, we didnt try the Singulair. Several months later he started daycare, and the second day he got very very sick, fever etc. His doctor started him on Xzyzal, its an oral form that does not come in generic, we're talking $50/bottle and no improvement. That was October '09. December '09 the school was telling us that he wouldn't nap because of his cough. His doctor gave him all these in one shot: abuterol w/nebulizer (4x day), singulair chewable, and Claritin. The pharmacist said he was asmthmatic and he takes generic Claritin aka Loratadine so we opted to save ourselves the $70 and grabbed that too.

Then we were referred to a specialist, who said there was an increase in asthma in children and although its not positive its asthma we're going to treat it like asthma. Changes the concentration of the abuterol and my son gags so won't take it. Puts us on an inhaler through a chamber. Its been 5 days, they are telling us to give it 3 weeks. His allergy tests came back negative, but I swear Laredo is a pile of dirt and I can't stand it! Yesterday we were given Pulmicort by his new Ped. When I called the asthma specialist, she had the nerve to tell me (after waiting 6 HOURS for her to call back) that she doesn't know anything about vomiting, when that's been his problem from the get!!

I found an article on postussive emesis but its from 2009. Other things that have come up are Gastrosophagael Reflux

Same thing, almost 3 year old daughter (twin of a non-cougher) has been coughing for 2 months. every night, from laying down until in deep sleep. prescribed allergy medicine but it isn't allergies. otherwise why would it come only at night. isn't mold or anything since she has it when we travel too. i'm also scared to try singular or such and then she'll just be worse later...

Thanks for that note on vicks!. I find that the humidifier with tea tree oil has helped my 2 year olds night time cough tremendously and a warm drink seems to open up her chest too, I also pack smaller pillows at the back of a bigger pillow to keep her in an almost seated position to stop the lungs from compacting under her weight. I have tried various medications but insist that her little lungs are just developing and adjusting to different temperatures, seasons and levels of humidity or dust in the air. Grace to all Parents out there, the sleepless nights are very trying.

yes vicks vaporub is not advisable especially to toddlers, this will just worsen the cough and possibly could make them suffocated. have your kids checked with your pediatrician and if it's possible, get second opinion.

I am SO relieved to have found this thread. My soon-to-be three year old son has recently started having coughing fits which seem to be worse when he is lying down flat on his back. Originally I had chalked this up to a run of the mill cold but now I am beginning to seriously consider asthma as the culprit. This will definitely help me to ask some very important questions of his pediatrician when we see her next week. I too have asthma and inherited it from my mother and can feel for all of your babies who are suffering from this disease. i'm very curious to find out though why it seems that this is coming out so prominently in 2-4 year olds all of a sudden %-)

My daughter had the same problems of coughing at night when my wife used the little nose thing to get her snot out of her nose. We sucked a lot out of her nose and she stopped coughing and was able to sleep better. Hopefully this will help everyone. I don't know exactly the name for nose thing but it's used to get the snot out of infants and it's blue. I think it's called a bulb syringe. But it did help instantly.

Please look up and research articles from ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I think what we are feeding our kids in this country are the big culprits. Also antibiotics are very damaging.

If you suspect milk allergies, cut out dairy for 2 FULL weeks to fully get out of your child's system (or your's if you're breastfeeding).

Pasturized milk is bad for your child. Raw milk from grassfed animals if what our children should be drinking. I also think vaccinations do so much harm that we don't realize. If you build and strengthen your child's immune system, they should be able to fight off infections and sickness naturally.