Our story sounds the same as everyone else. My 3 year old daughter has had a cough that almost sounded like croup, but was given nothing for it cause the doctor said he wouldn't want to give her steroids unless it was very bad. She did however have an ear infection and had some antibiotics and the cough went away only to come back shortly after. It's been a few weeks now and we asked the allergist and he thinks it might be post nasal drip which is exactly what my sister had thought it was. He gave her nasonex so we'll see, it's only been a few days. One thing that does help is just ibuprofen, it seems to settle her cough and she sleeps well. I know it not a cough medicine, but we're very limited in Canada and the wife thought it might help her sleep. Well sure enough there it helped and if we don't give it to her she coughs like crazy and almost throws up. I'm a nursing student and have not found any proof that this would help, but from experience it has been helping us. My only thought is that ibuprofen is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and if something is inflamed it may help. With the croup they give steroids for this reason and this is non-steroidal so maybe it will work for someone else. I'm interested to hear any feedback if someone tries it.

I have a 2 1/2 year old that just started with this coughing at night.... so bad that she has thrown up and many times sounds like she is going to. I'm sure in her case it is like a sinus drainage thing. I personally, would rather try the natural remedies first. This is what I've found that I will try to help her with so we all can sleep at night. Hopefully it will help others who come across this site.

-saline nasal drops and bulb syringe (10-15 drops wait 30-60 seconds and if they can't blow nose into tissue... try the syringe)
-"throat coat" tea (whole foods store, give it to baby warm, add 1/2 tsp honey (if over a year)
-keep them hydrated (helps break up the mucus)
-Johnson and Johnson vapor bath, or can add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to bath (helps relieve coughing and sore throat)
-1/2 tsp of honey (helps relieve scratchy throat)... only if baby is over a year
-Ginger tea (add ginger to hot tea) give to child 2-3 times a day
-steam for 2-3 minutes (helps clear mucus)... had a friend who used to put different aromatherapy oils in to help. (I know sage was one of them.)
-humidifier (add a few drops of sage oil which helps to reduce congestion)
-medicinal milk- dash of tumeric and 1 tsp of honey to warm milk and feed immidiately before bed- I like the almond milk, the dairy adds to congestion
-Hot and fresh chicken soup
-tsp of lemon juice
-elevate mattress at head so sinuses can drain and not be sitting in the back of the throat causing the cough.

Sincerely, A concerned mom.
That's all I've got for now. Surely some of these will be helpful to you.

I hope someone replys...........please
My two and a half year old seems to be getting sick, then better then sick again latley,(could it be swimming in winter)?
Except every second time he gets sick he seems to be developing really heavy breathing, vomitting during sleep and coughing.

I am having trouble giving him what the doctors have perscribed him as I am scared he will develop a need for these all the time. And Im not sure if I can trust them.

I have a asthma puffer which I use but he always seems to get this cough and vomiting as a bug or virus, he just got off antibiotics 2 weeks ago. Should I be getting him more antibiotics?

I have also been given singular for him but I am scared to give it to him, Can anyone tell me if it works and how to use singular.

I would like to know what happend to the moms that posted their comments like 1 to 2 years ago, how are their kids now? Did they found a remedy? My 20 month old and 10 month old babies has the same thing coughing at night when they go to sleep and when they woke up. I'm so sad that our babies has to suffer thru this and can't get a decent sleep.

It's mold. I'm convinced. I occupy the basement level of a 2 family home and it is very damp and musty and there has been water damage previously. I recently noticed mold growing and called someone to fix and remove the problem. Lately, my 4 year old is coughing so bad through the night he sounds like he's going to throw up. Doctors say its nothing; hayfever, allergies, ragweed. I'm positive it's from the mold and I'm going to ask for them to test him specifically for that

Let me know, what they told you about the mold. I noticed is when my kids has dirty diapers at nights I changed them immediately before they start coughing. I don't give them milk at night, I noticed that it has helped them not to cough too much it actutally reduced the coughing. I'm trying all these different ways to reduce the coughing. I will be back to keep you updated.

Wow this has been enlightening to find so many people going through the same or similar situation as I. My son will be 2 in a couple of weeks and has been coughing for a month, mostly at night but sometimes during the day. He's been very puffy eyed in the last week with lots of green goo and a runny nose on and off. He had pneumonia in January and then again a few months later(twice in a six month period). I'm always afraid that his coughs will turn into pneumonia if they last this long. Our family doctor hasn't diagnosed asthma but she prescribed an inhaler anyways for his breathing the last time he had a bad cough, hoping it would deter the pneumonia, it didn't that time. Its very frustrating because he has a hard time sleeping and he loves his sleep. He tries to make up for it in his daytime naps, sometimes sleeping 3 to 4 hours long if he's left to sleep. but at night he has a hard time, made worse with the fact that he wears boots and bars for his club feet correction. He coughs so much he chokes and throws up and has a hard times catching his breath sometimes. I've also seen him try to hold his breath because throwing up scares him so much. I thought maybe it was a mold allergy and had someone come to check for mold but they didn't find anything but I got a dehumidifier anyways which is helped the humidity but not the coughing. I don't know what to do anymore because our doctor said it was just a small virus and would go away and his lungs were clear. But both times he had pneumonia they thought his lungs were clear yet the Xrays showed serious pneumonia in both lungs. He also gets a mild fever every night but it doesn't last more then a couple of hours. He also has a small heart murmur and I wonder if its all connected. Our doctor doesn't seem to be worried so should I? I am worried either way, it's a mother's prerogative.

Wow! I am a little relieved to know that I'm not the only one going through this. Every year, I dread the colder months (late September-March) Every night my 4 year old goes to bed fine, only to be woken up by another coughing spell an hour or 2 later. Most nights he does cough so much that he ends up vomiting, so along with trying to deal with the coughing fit, I always have to change sheets. When my son was 2 he was hospitalized with pneumonia. After 4 days in the hospital he was finally released, only to be back in the hospital a week later. The doctor came to the conclusion that it was asthma. The doctor prescribed a nebulizer and Albuterol to be taken when needed. It does help calm the coughing for a little, but the effects don't last very long. Another doctor prescribed Singulair tablets, but my son, who is always sick in the winter and has a terrible fear of medicine, refuses to take them. I've tried vaporizers, cough syrups, honey, vicks vapor rub on his feet (which my great grandmother recommended)... I feel like I am out of options. I don't know of anything else to try!

My 2 1/2 month old son had a very bad cold (mainly cough and mucus) with no fever about 3 weeks ago, that lasted about a week. After that the cold seem to go away but the cough with the flems keep happening, he had not mucus in his nose. One day it got so bad he started turning blue, he was choking with his own flems (or I thought) I called 911 but in the middle of it, he slowly starting coughing and was able to start breathing. I was so scared, I cancelled the ambulance and took him straight to the doctor. She made me fell like I had exagerated since he was completely clear.She gave him some cough medicine and some nebulizing. My husband also thought I was making a big deal because he said it had happen to him also but that slowly he would cough and be able to breath and swallow the flems. After that day it has just gotten worse. My husband is also scared now, because he does it every time he takes a nap and every night (sseveral times) we don't get a full night sleep anymore. We have to sleep with all the doors open and as soon as we hear him cough we run to pick him up, in rare times he vomits a little bit but mostly he just coughs and has a hard time breathing and then he swallows. Sometimes he cries afterwords like if something is hurting in his throat, and others he goes back to sleep. But we have to pick him up EVERY TIME. We are scared, now one of us has to sleep with him or bring him to our bed, he is our 3rd child and this had never happen, I am starting to think this is GERD and hope it will not become a permanent condition. I will go to the doctor again tommorrow, but tonight I will film him, I want her to see what really happens and how scary it it. Hope to get bak to you with some good news.

It is horrible to see how are babies suffer through this. Well, I took my kids to the doctor and she gave them antibiotic and now their coughing is gone!! I feel relief about this situation now, my kids had been coughing for almost 3 months and a half. But what it really help me was to have the pillows tilted into a 45 degree angle and if its really cold I cover them really well. I take them outside to breath fresh air. Girls, keep us posted and let us know what the doctor told you.

My babe has been coughing every night @3 for a week now... I know this won't cure the cough, but last time I called the nurses hotline associated with our health insurance, they recommended using a small spoonful of honey to soothe coughs. They do NOT recommend over-the-counter cough weds anymore for young children. I was skeptical about the honey working, but was amazed at the quiet night of rest we all got after giving my son about half a Tspn of honey! It works like a charm every time! I'm sitting up with him right now to let him try to cough out some of this phlegm, but I think I'm about to give him some honey so we can go back to sleep.

My son is 18 months & having the same issue. For 2 months he coughs at night & first thing in the morning & the rest of the day he is fine. I have not taken him to the doctor yet, it is not severe, just irritating. He only coughs occasionally, not all night. But it's just weird. I prefer natural treatments over medications (though I will use medications if they are needed, I just think they are over-used) & have been giving him propolis (my favorite for coughs) & grapefruit seed extract & beta glucan, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I see that most of these posts are a year or two old. I would love to hear back from anyone if you ever learned anymore about this.

anonymous wrote:

My son is 2 1/2 years old. He's having the same problem. He will start coughing at 3am-4am almost every night. During the day, he is fine. The doctor suspect asthma. He tried singular but it doesn't help. I had even tried to change bedsheet every week. No soft toys. But it doesn't help either. [/quote

I have the same issue with my 2 1/2 yr old. He starts coughing at the same time everyday. No matter what I do he keeps coughing. The doctors say its asthma too and allergies I have in a nose steriod and the albuteral nothing seems to work. I thought I was alone in this but reading what the other moms have done gives me hope and ideas that I'm going to try. I really hope all our babies get better soon but it sounds like they are all in the same age group. Poor babies.

I guess I am not alone. I have a twin 4 year old and also they cough during the night and it is driving us crazy. They both caught the croup virus few weeks ago and since then, they started. We took them to the Dr. and of course they said it is sinuses and allergies. Apparently liquid drains to their throat and causes them to cough. They have been on Allergy medication for the past month and also tried sudafed cough, now another one...this is crazy!
In the summer time we were overseas in the mountains, and they were doing great because the air is dry clean and healthy...so allergies and moist could be the reason behind it.

our 3 year old coughs at night and when she is running alot this all started 3 months ago after getting a cold. Normally she can run and sleep fine without coughing. We went to the doctor and he gave us singular for us that did not work. My husband had asthma when he was young so we thought that might be it but now I don't think that is it. I remember her going through this once before and the doctor gave us antibiotics and her cough went away. We only have 6 pills left of singular after that I think I will see if we can get antibiotics again. She is not throwing up but is not getting the sleep she needs. This is so wierd that all of these kids are getting this long cough and nobody really seems to know why.