Hi. I’m in 6th month. I’m feeling well, regularly take visit my doctor to perform control exams, eat healthy… This is my first child, by the way. I keep the house clean, stay away from cigarette smoke, don’t drink… But, there is still one thing I’m worried about. You see, I have two cats and I’ve recently heard from a friend of mine that they can be a problem for me and my baby. He said that many babies get toxoplasmosis from the house cats. Is that true??? Should I get rid of the cats?? I would appreciate all info. Thanks

Your friend told you truth. Toxoplasmosis is caused by a protozoan infection with the parasite Toxoplasma gondii, and is found in humans and many species of mammals such as cats. Even some birds can have them. Of course, if your cat has them then your baby will have chance to get it as well. But, I don’t think you should get rid of the cats. If they are healthy and clean then they should not cause any problems. So, I would recommend you take your cats to the vet to check them out. Also, be sure to keep them clean at all times. Moreover, during first few weeks, you can keep them away from your baby, just to be sure. The most important thing is that you always thoroughly wash your hands after contact with your cats, have someone else empty and clean the cat tray…etc… If you take good care and follow these rules, than there should be no trouble.