my husband is getting pretty fed up with me, i always said i would stop drinking if it caused us a problem between us, well it has and i got the biggest ultimatum this weekend me or it. its the first time he meant it. i drink every other night usually a litre of sherry and smoke only when i drink. On my rest night i am knackered so always tired and go to bed early.I know for a fact its not doing me any good whatsoever, so you might like to know why i do it. Well i really dont know, now I have gone four days without it, and i'm not sure if i can not pick a bottle up from the supermarket when we shop or i can be brave and leave it there, thats my biggest temptation, i also think i have some withdrawal sympton which are fatique and feeling hot and sweating in the day and night although we have a heatwave at the moment, also i have trouble sleeping  well just thought i would write this down its sort of help me a bit, i will write again thankyou for reading 

MOrnin jewls, Thank you for coming here and telling us what is going on with you. You have taken the first step by admitting that you may have a drinking problem. Because you have been givin this s@@t or get off the pot ultimatum from your husband, i think that woke you up. You have gone 4 days with out it, you are on your way for sure. You could very well be going thru dt's or withdrawl when your not drinking, this is good (sort of)

Some times we over induldge and don't know why. Our home life is good, our marraige is good, we are financially ok, nothing is on our minds at all, we just like to drink, period. A litre of wine every other day is a lot but it's enough to make your husband notice. When we are under the influence we obviously feel good, laughing and giddy and happy, but you can feel the same way without the help of booze.

I would hate to see your marraige go down the crapper because you chose alcohol over your husband, that bottle can't keep you warm at night ya know.

Have you thought about looking into AA? It's not to make you embarrased or humiliated in any way, it's there for those who can't do it alone. I think your husband would really appreciate it if you talked about it to him, and he can go with you when you go to these meetings. Don't wreck your marraige because you can't stay away from the bottle. I would hope your relationship with your husband means more to you.

I am the only child in my family and from my great grand parents right down to my parents were all alcoholics. I saw and heard so much when i was quite young and promised myself that i would not allow myself to be like that. I am not a saint and i do drink some but never in excess. If i have a cocktail it's usually a beer or a vodka/orange but with a half shot. I feel it on one, so i quit, then i get hungry, then i'm done for the night. lol boreing huh?

So please take my advice and seek help now before it gets any farther out of control. You have already been warned by your husband and that should be the push that you need.

hi

thanks for your reply, it was very nice of you, i have a large familly but they do not know i drink a lot, i feel ashamed to say anything, as were not that close that they would even notice, just my husband that puts up with it, i have always said ill give it up so i am trying, it really does creep up on you though 1 night a week then comes to more and then i think oh well i have had a hard day at work i'll have a drink and relax, there is always an excuse to do it, my husband is also a bit concerned about what its doing to me as well, well so am i but i still have some sort of excuse in my head oh one more time wont do anything. yeh married for 33 years we were young when we married and i never drank like i do now back then, even bringing the kids up, sociably yes, in moderation, then it started by buying the odd bottle about 20 years ago, maybe once a week to doing what i do know which is normally every other night and more of it..shameful i know and i do feel bad and its got to stop.  I would like to think i could do it just when we go out but need to get over this hurdle now, so 5 nights now without, i will let you know!!! thanks